Inflation vs Deflation

Whats the big deal about paying twice? There are some very good state schools, but they have entrance exams and catchment areas and so on... why would anyone jepordise their kids education if they have the means to avoid doing so?

Kids are important, and so is their education!

Rubbish.... If you pay tax, then decide to go private your paying twice. Simple.

That's your choice mate. It is not rubbish.

Some people can't afford choice?

See Tory's manifesto re:therapy... :LOL:

Same goes for private health. It was subsidised at the start to make it financially rewarding with tax incentives - taken out of spending on NHS.

Doctors were working for NHS and Private and you know where there true allegiance lay -even if at the start they had good conscience. They would show up late and leave early from their NHS jobs. It is all about the money.

Instead of having one super system for all we have fragmented society and elitism. Education system will go the same way.

Just like telecoms, utilities - we have so much choice I have trouble finding out what on earth I'm really buying... You know the stuff - knock on the door. Let's ahve a look at your bill. We are cheaper. Now they are tying you into contracts if you leave you pay penalty. So much effing choice and we pay so much more.

Why not have 150 mobile phone tariffs.

I like more choice so when I go to the O2 network I'd like to see 300 tariff options. Surely I get more value for money - don't I???

CHOICE gives you a lot more than you can have possibly ever imagined...

Bless those Tories... Men with real ideas to put us on track for a world beating nation. :clap:

Bless those Tories... Men with real ideas to put us on track for a world beating nation. :clap:

I fail to discern any meaningful difference between the parties. The Tories perhaps look a little less fiscally incontinent than Labour, but 6 months into power and they are spending more than the last government (huh?).

In addition, they speak of their dislike of the 50% tax band yet have done nothing about it.

They've raised taxes on petrol, raised VAT with nothing to soften the blow.

They said "no more money for Europe" and then agreed to a 3% increase in the EU budget.

Politicians are all the same.. petty minded career flunkies, where the main ambition is to get a comfortable job in an unelected Euro position. Oh, and to make money making speeches. Why do you think Blair was so tight with Bush? Because he knew the Americans would appreciate it and he could then make more money on the lecture circuit.

They've raised taxes on petrol, raised VAT with nothing to soften the blow.

Personal allowance is going up by 1000 in April so that is basically subsidising VAT increase on 8k worth of purchases per worker earning above the threshold. :confused:

Personally I think that Tories are just too detached to have any idea what will be beneficial to normal society and that the private sector is going to milk them by jumping on tory rhetoric. That's what I see happening.

They're not real Tories. They're pasty washed out liberals.

However, preferable to Liebore. Quite glad to see Ed Balls as shadow chancellor, you couldn't really make up a more unappetising shadow bench, could you?

It's the beginning of the end for Milliband Jnr. Vote of no confidence by the end of the year.

He's so unimpressive in every regard. And yet Liebore lead in the polls. Ho hum. If Cameron was a true Tory he would be miles ahead.

Clegg, Balls, the Millibands, Cameron, Osbourne.

not an ounce of nouse or substance to be seen.

Would have been better to put Johnson in. At least we could have had a laugh while circling the drain.

Last edited:
remember his epicness in dealing with the chinese? That the guy who sums up modern britain imo. excellent stuff.

He's so unimpressive in every regard. And yet Liebore lead in the polls. Ho hum. If Cameron was a true Tory he would be miles ahead.

That's just politics and politically he is very good which is why he got into bed with the Unions to put one over his superior elder brother? (debatable I know)...

He is simply biding his time as what's the point of jumping up and down now with no election in site... He is hoping Liberals and Tories tear them selves apart...

I reckon global world recovery will save them and they will take credit as Mrs T did.

All silver spoon stuff and luck and very little substance as noted by esteemed member bloggers... (y)

Why do you think Blair was so tight with Bush? Because he knew the Americans would appreciate it and he could then make more money on the lecture circuit.

Let's be fair to Blair: it wasn't all about the money. He was a fellow religious-delusional with Bush.

he's on now (blair)

He did what he believed was right and the World now is a much better place than before.

Ofcourse it is as you are £50m up and rest of us down.

Reading this book at the moment and apparently the best write ups on past British leaders have always been for those rulers who were nice to the Church and took us into wars.

All other leaders who ruled over peace time and saw wealth of nation rise hardly get a mention in history books. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Utterly-Impartial-History-Britain-Upper-class/dp/0385611986

Certainly true as I'm seeing it live out in our current time.

Charles Kennedy who got the war issue right will be remembered as a drunkie drop out. Prime Minister Blair - great leader who took us into disastrous war but hey Pope's given him his blessing and yanks their dollars.

C'est la vive... :)

Yes, you can see some of this from the frequency of "loose" for "lose" on this website. The reason it's so irritating for me is because it means I'm obliged to send my kids to a private school if I want them to have a decent education.

I hate that one as well (which is quite common on the net, not just here), but I don't think sloppy spelling and grammar is necessarily confined to the state-educated sector. I noticed a terrible grammatical howler on a website relating to the Royal Family, and reported it to their web-feedback email. I didn't get a reply and I don't think it was corrected (didn't they learn that it's good manners to reply, especially when you've invited comments?). (I suppose it might have been done by some lad on a Prince's Trust make-work scheme).

In my neck of the woods, there are a lot of private school kids (even though the state schools are relatively good) and if you overhear them talking in the street, they all seem to affect a sort of lazy drawl which is highly irritating. We notice it also on TV if such kids are being interviewed or in a documentary. Traditional RP could sound stuffy, but this is not that, and it's much worse.

However, you and I need to be careful, for doesn't the 5th minor corollary to Godwin's Law state that the more you complain about spelling and grammar mistakes on the web, the more likely you are to go and make one yourself?

(If you notice any here, my defence is that they have been made consciously and ironically).

Amazing how high EUR/GBP is, it's still a good 20% above its multi-year average, despite all the problems in Europe. Maybe it's going to parity?!?

Well, with Uncle Axel likely to succeed Uncle Tricky at the ECB, what else are we to expect? While at the same time Swervin' Mervyn and his band of merry men can't stop spanking sterling.