IG Index traders: What charts do you use?

Wizard Trader

Any fellow IG Index spread-betters who can help me...

I mainly use freestockcharts.com when trading, but it doesn't cover many of the markets in IG; particularly commodities. For anyone else who uses IG, what websites or software do you use for charting?

Oh, and I'm not willing to pay for data; I'm only an amateur trader.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I use the IG charts? I think if you place 5 trades a month you get the advanced charts for free?

I use the IG charts? I think if you place 5 trades a month you get the advanced charts for free?
I haven't reviewed the advanced charts.

The problem with IG basic charts is that they don't track volume, and have a very limited number of indicators.

you need to place 2 trades a month to get the advanced charts for free, they don't provide volume on any of their charts.

I haven't reviewed the advanced charts.

The problem with IG basic charts is that they don't track volume, and have a very limited number of indicators.

That's why I think they're so good for just "keeping an eye" on a trade - nice & simple & little clutter, and quick to draw or change. Tried the advanced charts but there's so much more complexity that I find just clouds the process. Basics are ideal for me as a swing trader where I look for my setups on eod (non-IG) charts. I happen to use Metastock & Amibroker and one or two others but anything would do - even Yahoo is perfectly respectable (IMHO).

Other traders - maybe those on shorter timeframes may have more sophisticated needs. The advantage of trading with IG charts is that they will chart whatever you're trading - but of course this is IG's prices. You can plan your strategy with "real" prices if you download free eod data into your favourite eod charting package. Just play it out on IG, because that's what you're trading - not the actual market.

Any fellow IG Index spread-betters who can help me...

I mainly use freestockcharts.com when trading, but it doesn't cover many of the markets in IG; particularly commodities. For anyone else who uses IG, what websites or software do you use for charting?

Oh, and I'm not willing to pay for data; I'm only an amateur trader.

Thanks in advance for any help!

You should try IG advanced charts and activate dealthru charts(y)

What do you trade?

US equities and commodities. Many commodities on IG are ETFs and ETCs.

You can plan your strategy with "real" prices if you download free eod data into your favourite eod charting package. Just play it out on IG, because that's what you're trading - not the actual market.

Where's a good source for free EOD data? I remember someone saying that you can get live futures data for free, although it's delayed by 15 minutes. That would be ideal for keeping an eye on intraday price action.

US equities and commodities. Many commodities on IG are ETFs and ETCs.

Where's a good source for free EOD data? I remember someone saying that you can get live futures data for free, although it's delayed by 15 minutes. That would be ideal for keeping an eye on intraday price action.

http://www.eoddata.com/ Yahoo!; MSN - all free.

I use an excellent downloader utility called MLDownloader - not free but well worth its price - see http://www.trading-tools.com/index.htm.

The data sources above may not be perfectly "clean" but they are free and, depending upon your requirements can be satisfactory.