IG Index Thread

And Again

I currently use the old platform of IG. Never tested their new platform yet.

Do i hear a Recommendation from you? or stick religiously with the old platform?

I used to have problems with the IG platform until I upgraded my PC's RAM some time ago. Since then no problems with either, although I prefer the look and functionality of the new layout - there's not much in it though, and I've detected no difference in their relative stability.

Hi

Just had some more, complete pain in the assssssssssss :!:

Log in, something to do with charts that is their problem they say, problem only happened in trade all charts pop gone :(

back on now.

Ram , well its excellent Pc with 2000 ram etc, they say my connection could be to blame

seems far fetched , lad as no bother with x box, his laptop and computor games high end on this pc.

Something it don"t like that's for sure :devilish: :devilish:

well see above tried the lot, they have been in on remote, and they can"t find anything, and they are the IT boys so me got no chance. He run route search s the lot.

Sure they think I'm paranoid, only ever happens in a trade, soon as I touch the buy or sell, instant

charts go dead stop then ping all gone and platform no response :confused: :confused: :confused:

Just have to join trader dante with the day pin bars, should get time to activate my stop on that time frame I suppose, could even use the phone.

WOW :!: Im future proof :p

Andy AKA

coincidence, dont believe in them

all i can say is, its coincidence that it only happens when your in trade!

You said it , its one of life's little mysteries, :confused:

A coincidence 2 many for my liking :LOL: :LOL:

Any way intended broker says only 3 platform downs in a year, All clients, so we will see.

Andy AKA

Generally satisfied with IGIndex

Hi all, I read this thread with great interest. I've been using IGindex for daytrading FTSE daily cash index for about a month. So far so good. I haven't sufferred any slippage generally (only once on a stop loss but it was after US non-farm payrolls data were published, 15 points slippage). I like the platform and havent had any serious issues with it so far. Sometimes I have to log off and on again, like once/twice a week. I've never had a problem that my trade would be rejected after I clicked buy/sell button. That's to say, I'm not a big player, just a beginner. And that's also reflected in my P&L. I think they like me so far. The customer service is very good. I usually contact them via an e-mail and get a reply within a couple of hours.
But I have a question which is related to their quotations. See the next post, please. Thanks.

Data availability from IG index

Hi again, what I'd like to hear from you is the following. I have developed my trading model based on FTSE cash daily intraday data from Bloomberg (up till August 2007). What I'm finding now is that when I plug the fresh data (for Sept/Oct 2007) from IGIndex and fresh data from Bloomberg for the same period, the resulting P&L is quite different. I earn more than twice as much when I use Bloomberg data. I compared the two data sets and I found that they don't differ that much, on average a point or two. But still it returns two completely different results. Hence I was very interested to hear about the volatility skew kind of thing you described in the previous posts.

I'm fine with IGindex quoting their prices, in the end that's what's your first reading when opening the account is. However, I would welcome if they provided historical intraday data which one could use for developing his/her trading models. When I asked them if that's possible, they replied "Thank you for your email. Unfortunately the data that we distribute is not something that we store and we are therefore unable to pass this information on. You may be able to obtain such information by contacting
an information provider such as a company like Bloomberg, Reuters or
Thomson Financials."

Do you have an idea if there's a possibility to obtain IGindex intraday data from anywhere else? Or generally, any SB company's historical intraday data? If not, how do you approach developing your trading models? Thanks.

Do you have an idea if there's a possibility to obtain IGindex intraday data from anywhere else? Or generally, any SB company's historical intraday data? If not, how do you approach developing your trading models? Thanks.

I echo this question - anybody have any ideas? I'm not sure it's possible, but worth asking I guess!

Funny in 2005 and 2006 I received a case of Wine or Champagine form IG for x-mas. Both those years I made lots of money from them with Binaries. This year has been horrible and I lost money to them but didnt receive anything - just a x-mas card + diary.

Funny in 2005 and 2006 I received a case of Wine or Champagine form IG for x-mas. Both those years I made lots of money from them with Binaries. This year has been horrible and I lost money to them but didnt receive anything - just a x-mas card + diary.

I received a card and USB stick from TradIndex, but nothing from IG. I'm not very active with then though. What has changed that you are not making money on the binaries any more?

Interesting. It shows you what they think of winners...

I received a card and USB stick from TradIndex, but nothing from IG. I'm not very active with then though. What has changed that you are not making money on the binaries any more?

I lost my discipline really to be honest. Last year I set myself a target of £150 a day by doing small bets. This year I lost my discipline + bad luck. I stopped binaries and started concentrating on proper trading such as fx, stocks etc...

Whereas IMO trading in 50% technique 50% discipline, I think binaries is 90% discipline.

Although I gave up on binaries, I still do 3-4 trades a day with them (small size though).

forget about ig's christmas presents, just go back to binaries make yourself some money and buy yourself christmas presents next year.

Are the bet sizes fixed across the board? I'm a beginner and am currently trying to test theories, pschology and money mangement etc. They seem to have recently changed the minimum bets, e.g. forex has gone from £0.24 to 50p and FTSE etc from £1 to £2. I do have an opinion about the direction of the FTSE in the new year but not a £12000 opinion! Can I haggle about the minimums or does anyone else take smaller bets?

Second question is regarding volumes. I can't seem to get the charting packages to show volume, should I try harder or is the info not there?

Cheers in advance.

TEST away for ZIP

;380001 said:
Are the bet sizes fixed across the board? I'm a beginner and am currently trying to test theories, pschology and money mangement etc. They seem to have recently changed the minimum bets, e.g. forex has gone from £0.24 to 50p and FTSE etc from £1 to £2. I do have an opinion about the direction of the FTSE in the new year but not a £12000 opinion! Can I haggle about the minimums or does anyone else take smaller bets?

Second question is regarding volumes. I can't seem to get the charting packages to show volume, should I try harder or is the info not there?

Cheers in advance.

Hi uro_who

Ftse is or was when I traded with them Min £2 per pt

No Volumes are available, I think I am right to say no SB firm provide any real Volume. Fins used to provide market heat map for the Ftse from Digital Look but I think that stuff as disapeared of late.

Number of other firms will go a £1 per pt

Capital Spreads IMO your best option, Capital spreads are lower on the near month contracts to or they were when I was with them. Platform is a little slow. Open positions if multiples are closed out 1st in 1st out basis, you can not choose, again that could have changed since I was with them.

Capital Spreads also do a pretty good demo account, Charts are delayed prices are not so that will not be a problem if you maintain your IG account. You can test your methods etc away to your hearts content and it will cost you Zip

NOTE:
Same log in page and you can keep it open with a real account. Seperate log in details, if you have a favorite user id dont use it on the demo account because you will not be able to use it on the real one.

You will have no problems if you keep IG platform to (one of the quickest Sb platforms & best free charts) CMC another option if you like good charts. If you take this option you will notice Price Quotes of IG dance about a bit more but nothing to worry about if your out past 15mins or greater and not scalping the spikes they like to manufacture. You do not require funds with IG or you did"nt use to in order to keep the account open. ;)

If you have any connection problems with 2 sb accounts running (real money) be sure to update the thread for other users benefit, every little helps :clap:

Have a good New Year :clover:

Andy

Thanks Andy, I'll update if I get any problems.

Cheers again. :clover:

FWIW, I think you'd be better off with Finspreads. You can trade from 50p per point in the FTSE, so you can take a £3000 view rather than a £12000 view. There is also the option to trade at 10 pence per point while you get started.

short term leaching off IG

Capital Spreads also do a pretty good demo account, Charts are delayed prices are not so that will not be a problem if you maintain your IG account. You can test your methods etc away to your hearts content and it will cost you Zip

You will have no problems if you keep IG platform to (one of the quickest Sb platforms & best free charts) CMC another option if you like good charts. If you take this option you will notice Price Quotes of IG dance about a bit more but nothing to worry about if your out past 15mins or greater and not scalping the spikes they like to manufacture. You do not require funds with IG or you did"nt use to in order to keep the account open. ;)

Andy

FWIW, I think you'd be better off with Finspreads. You can trade from 50p per point in the FTSE, so you can take a £3000 view rather than a £12000 view. There is also the option to trade at 10 pence per point while you get started.

Yes if one has an IG account but can't stand the thought of £2/point FTSE then yes test the strat for free on the CS demo, when confident of the strat go to fins for 0.50p/point FTSE.

Obviously fins charts are complete rubbish when compared to IG charts, so it makes sense to use the IG resource to build a successful method/strategy, with the eventual goal of building a sufficient bank to re-fund the IG account proper.

Fortunately I have all three resources presently up and running, the only possible glitch, how long will IG allow me to use their charts when funds are a tad short in that account while developing the method via CS and trading via fins, will they even notice little ol' me leaching off them, that would be the big question on my mind but hey I will carry on regardless and see what happens.

Happy new year all and successful trading in 2008 :D

Yes if one has an IG account but can't stand the thought of £2/point FTSE then yes test the strat for free on the CS demo, when confident of the strat go to fins for 0.50p/point FTSE.

Obviously fins charts are complete rubbish when compared to IG charts, so it makes sense to use the IG resource to build a successful method/strategy, with the eventual goal of building a sufficient bank to re-fund the IG account proper.

Fortunately I have all three resources presently up and running, the only possible glitch, how long will IG allow me to use their charts when funds are a tad short in that account while developing the method via CS and trading via fins, will they even notice little ol' me leaching off them, that would be the big question on my mind but hey I will carry on regardless and see what happens.

Happy new year all and successful trading in 2008 :D

They won't even notice guv. I had an account for years which I forgot about with nothing in it. When I turned it on a few months back. It still worked. I now prefer Ig charts over cmc. I put in some monies and are using it as u would expect.

Thanks options

would you do me the great favour of checking the advanced charts, they do not appear to be working for me today :cry:

thanks in advance :D

I'm just getting the itfinance loading screen, are they working for everyone else ?

Attachments

• Capture8.JPG
    Capture8.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 176
It has been working fine (as you might see from my Oanda rant on that thread).

Sometimes, I "lose connection" to IT-finance and it drops all charting data, but continues to stream data from IG Index/IT-finance(?). I use quotes because every other website and internet service I use (msn, yahoo, telnet, websites) all continue to send me data if I refresh/update/send a message... I think it is a Java port connection issue (and in fact I suffered this a LOT when they had the previous Java front end to the point where I would disconnect (not really, but apparently!!) and be unable to trade/monitor positions/close positions; at least with charts, if I'm out, then I don't trade or if I'm in, I can monitor the bid/offer price to check on open positions.)

Thanks for your input ninj, looks like IG are on to me, just tried logging on with a different computer and I briefly got the advanced charts before being logged off and browser closed...oh bollox! :-0

Looks like the master plan has come apart at the seams before it started :cry:

fins working ok though, half a plan better than none I suppose :clap: