IG index are thieves in my opinion please recommend a good broker

Some people have never had slipage, some have had it several times.

I wander if it depends on your size, ie if they are hedging you.

the 9.35am 1min bar was 18 pips in length so price did move a relatively long way during that minute. there was numpty at the MPC speaking at 9.35am. I still find 9 pips slippage excessive maybe I am being unreasonable. When none of the slippage goes in your favour it make you wonder.

when i use market orders i get slippage to my favor if the market moved instantly against me ...

The major pairs are consistently a half pip to 1 pip wide on IB comprised of 16 quoting participants.

You can see our live quotes on our home page,
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/main.php

and test with our forex demo,
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/pagemap/pagemap_demo.php

If you have additional questions please give me a call.

Thanks
Perry
+852 2156 7990 or [email protected]

Hi Perry, might be worth you starting your own thread (with mod permission given you're new) on the forex discussion forum. You guys have a lot of fans on this suite of forums, be good to have you *on board* to answer all the Qs ..

If the mods can't do it (yet) I'll start the thread off for you today if you like..let's know..

Anyone trading with Interactive Brokers? What do you think of em generally?

Thanks

I have been with IB since 2004 and probably done more than 10,000 trades with them.

They are very good overall, only had really major issues with them about twice in the last 7 years, which were due to some bugs on their server side.

But you are coming from IG, so there are differences like:

Minimum account opening balance with IB, i think is either 5K or 10K USD.

IB's margin requirements are much higher than IG's, IG sometimes allow up to 500:1 for FX.
IB is around 50:1, which should be more than enough.

Profits with IB are not tax free as it is not spread betting, this assumes you make more than 10K a year (your tax free CGT allowance, a joint account with a partner will make use of a double CGT allowance).

Withdrawals, if you do more than one wire a month, there is small charge.

The IG front end is quite simple and easy to use, but the IB TWS platform is quite a sharp tool and loaded with features, and you can cut yourself quite easily if you make a keyboard/entry mistake.

Last edited:
when i use market orders i get slippage to my favor if the market moved instantly against me ...

How do you get slippage on a market order when you don't specify a price? That's what a market order is, buy or sell at WHATEVER the market price is.

How do you get slippage on a market order when you don't specify a price? That's what a market order is, buy or sell at WHATEVER the market price is.

i understand , i am talking about IG when i use a market order and if price moved to my favor after i click and before i get filled , i get the new improved price , ie : if i click to buy and the market is 6002 and instantly the market became 5997 i get filled at the new improved price ....

They are hard to beat in the UK in my view for retail trading.

Paul
-------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Swan
on this suite of forums,
Aaargh! Suite of f&@!ing forums! Paul, you really are a pair of clackers.

Why do you hang around a trading forum ffs?

Bless...

IB are a good broker, nothing wrong with them at all.

Jimmy

Do the Pazman shuffle:

Thanks guys,
Shall seriously look into IB.

I have been with IB since 2004 and probably done more than 10,000 trades with them.

They are very good overall, only had really major issues with them about twice in the last 7 years, which were due to some bugs on their server side.

But you are coming from IG, so there are differences like:

Minimum account opening balance with IB, i think is either 5K or 10K USD.

IB's margin requirements are much higher than IG's, IG sometimes allow up to 500:1 for FX.
IB is around 50:1, which should be more than enough.

Profits with IB are not tax free as it is not spread betting, this assumes you make more than 10K a year (your tax free CGT allowance, a joint account with a partner will make use of a double CGT allowance).

Withdrawals, if you do more than one wire a month, there is small charge.

The IG front end is quite simple and easy to use, but the IB TWS platform is quite a sharp tool and loaded with features, and you can cut yourself quite easily if you make a keyboard/entry mistake.
Thanks DDuke,
Thats clarified alot of things, thanks for taking the time out DD. Shall look into IB seriously.

i understand , i am talking about IG when i use a market order and if price moved to my favor after i click and before i get filled , i get the new improved price , ie : if i click to buy and the market is 6002 and instantly the market became 5997 i get filled at the new improved price ....

This isnt really 'price improvement' at all, it is just a consequence of the latency of market orders.

This isnt really 'price improvement' at all, it is just a consequence of the latency of market orders.

If i get filled at a better price than the one requested this is for sure a price improvement ..

IG are great for long term trading and swing type trading.

But for day trading, anything more than 1 or 2 trades a day, you aren't going to make much of a profit, not in the long run anyway.

The extra spread paid, slippage on your stops, limit orders that dont get filled and other things will eat your edge away.