If you had to throw one book out...

Splitlink said:
TheBramble - who chucked this book out said:
"Por que os pescadores de caranguejo perdem as camisas deles em reversões afiadas" Emillio Stundabaras
Is that the title? Not, exactly, the essence of brevity, is he?

Split
I only bought it because his first book had been such a block-buster and been so significant in developing my trading career. Obviously someone who SHOULD have been a one-book wonder.

Slightly off on one - I always thought Robert M Pirsig should have just stuck to one as well. It would have made it slightly more magical than it was (is). There is a saying that everyone has at least one book in them. I think a useful corollary would be "and very few have more than one (good) one in them".

I have always had a problem with throwing away books.
The only books I actually burned were my exercise books after completing school. ( made a bonfire )

I tend to give books away rather than destroy them.
Even if I find a particular trading book useless, I still keep it for the sake of curiosity, as a reminder of the kinds of books I should avoid in future.
My books, ( and I suspect most of us ) are a representation of our personal development over the years. When I look back at the kinds of books I read, and thought interesting all those years ago, it is a microcosm of how we have developed and matured over the years, in our habits, and interests, and also how our ideas have altered over the years.
I like my books, good ones, bad ones, embarrassing ones, and all.
I would keep them all. ( although some I may hide behind vases ) :)

Retraction

trendie said:
I have always had a problem with throwing away books.
The only books I actually burned were my exercise books after completing school. ( made a bonfire )

I tend to give books away rather than destroy them.
Even if I find a particular trading book useless, I still keep it for the sake of curiosity, as a reminder of the kinds of books I should avoid in future.
My books, ( and I suspect most of us ) are a representation of our personal development over the years. When I look back at the kinds of books I read, and thought interesting all those years ago, it is a microcosm of how we have developed and matured over the years, in our habits, and interests, and also how our ideas have altered over the years.
I like my books, good ones, bad ones, embarrassing ones, and all.
I would keep them all. ( although some I may hide behind vases ) :)
Trendie
Despite my earlier posting when I said most trading books are not worth the money, my "throwing out" would be metaphorical rather than actual. I too share your attitude about books and hold a respect for them. Your post served to remind me of that.

I have, in fact, never thrown away a book, but always prefer to pass them on to charity. Even that event is rare.

You can indeed learn from bad books and bad teachers if you have an open mind. You learn what not to do.

So perhaps I should retract my earlier posting.

Thank you

Charlton

Sammy Chua - Day trade your way to financial freedom
All of Jake Bernstein's books (day trading + other time frames)

Biggest pile of crap would be Sammy Chua's book followed by Bernstein.(n)

Trendie
Despite my earlier posting when I said most trading books are not worth the money, my "throwing out" would be metaphorical rather than actual. I too share your attitude about books and hold a respect for them. Your post served to remind me of that.

I have, in fact, never thrown away a book, but always prefer to pass them on to charity. Even that event is rare.

You can indeed learn from bad books and bad teachers if you have an open mind. You learn what not to do.

So perhaps I should retract my earlier posting.

Thank you

Charlton

I am a non-stop reader. Always got a book on the go. The result is that they are in every crack and cranny of the flat. Then, add the fact that I have two other dedicated readers who are my kids and you can imagine my wife climbing the walls!

They have to go to the church, with great reluctance, but sorting out the worst ones, so that the best can get a new lease of life, is a problem that I keep putting off as the charity sale gets closer and closer.

Has anyone got through "A Brief History of Time"? Much as I admire Hawkins for his refusal to be defeated by illness, I could not finish that book and I tried more than once!

Mein Kampf
- the book that resulted in tens of millions dying.

hmm....you could say the same thing about Mao's little red book (Mao's Great Leap Forward), or "The Communist Manifesto" (famines in Soviet Russia in the 1930s; you could also add the Soviet deaths in WWII since Communism was Hitler's other bete noir as well as (if not more than) Judaism.

If we want to try to understand how an apparently civilised country like 1920s-1930s Germany could allow someone like Hitler to come to power, it probably behoves us to try to read it (I gather that it's pretty unreadable actually).

f you had to throw one book out...

These are the 2 books that I threw away instead of giving out to guys who sell books on Broadway street:

1/ Mad Money of Jin Krammer
2/ The Education of a Speculator and Practical Speculation of Victor Niederhoffer

hmm....you could say the same thing about Mao's little red book (Mao's Great Leap Forward), or "The Communist Manifesto" (famines in Soviet Russia in the 1930s; you could also add the Soviet deaths in WWII since Communism was Hitler's other bete noir as well as (if not more than) Judaism.

If we want to try to understand how an apparently civilised country like 1920s-1930s Germany could allow someone like Hitler to come to power, it probably behoves us to try to read it (I gather that it's pretty unreadable actually).

I agree with you about Mein Kampf. You heard correctly as well - it's absolutely unreadable.

Same goes for the Manifesto and the Little Red Book (mine's a real one, brought back from China by Mrs Maiden's brother).

All three are evil, terribly written tripe full of ludicrous notions that wouldn't impress an alcoholic baboon. All three inspired men commit murder on an unimaginable scale.

In terms of trading books, The Beginner's Guide To Financial Spread Betting (Michelle Baltazar) is possibly the worst book ever written, both in terms of content and style. Jordan's autobiography would be more use.

It was free from ETX, and I consider that to be a very expensive price.