I need a pro to explain this.

You cannot trade with delayed charts please don't try - especially 20 min binaries you will get killed.

No I wouldn't do that. My tactic relies on market comparison to predict movement. Today I am backtesting an idea but wasn't sure that I was comparing like with like as far as timing which you obviously appreciate is all with 20 min binaries.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: only 7 months in, and we may have Quote of the Year already !!!!

wouldn't it be easier, and ultimately more fulfilling for you, just to wire me your money direct, save churning it thru the markets first ?

They don,t ALWAYS follow each other, the question is , when they are apart which one moves first, and by how much. They pretty much WILL always move together again as far as percentage is concerned.
About 2 oclock on Friday for instance.
A couple of little binaries there might have sweetened the weekend, but the timing is critical of course. All I'm looking at is the predictability or lack of it of that event.
I've read on this forum that the market is vunerable when it's off balance. Is this true?
AND I still have'nt had a definitive answer for the question, can you compare any index with any other using historical charts and be absolutely sure the timings are within 5 mins max?

Last edited:
I think you wouldn't like delayed data. It would mean the bookmaker would know the outcome before they published the odds. You're talking about betting against an outcome that you know the answer to before it happens, I'm talking about the contrary.

It is possible to profit... a lot of people have made money from the delay. It's the proper definition of scalping, isn't it, taking advantage of pricing anomalies caused by delays?

Not pricing delays I'm looking to profit from it's taking advantage of a off balance market when, for instance, when the dow and the ftse are not mimicking each other as it was on Friday when they moved apart only to meet again so to speak later in the day. This presented an excellent opportunity for binaries, but the timing is everything. So the point of this thread was to discuss how accurate historical charts are, if they are not very good then backtesting is pointless.

It is possible to profit... a lot of people have made money from the delay. It's the proper definition of scalping, isn't it, taking advantage of pricing anomalies caused by delays?

Sorry. I misunderstood you here. Of course I agree with you. You were talking about trading with the broker using delayed. Don't think there would be many brokers left by now.

Back testing is usually pointless and very time consuming and with no guarantees. Markets change all the time - look to the future not the past. With binaries just throw a coin in the air and save the effort. Can only go one of two ways.

Not pricing delays I'm looking to profit from it's taking advantage of a off balance market when, for instance, when the dow and the ftse are not mimicking each other as it was on Friday when they moved apart only to meet again so to speak later in the day. This presented an excellent opportunity for binaries, but the timing is everything. So the point of this thread was to discuss how accurate historical charts are, if they are not very good then backtesting is pointless.

Whats pointless is this...using yahoo for anything.

We are backtesting all the time as we watch any market, we are always looking at things that have already happened. As for binaries I don't agree, yes up or down but I find it easier to predict that than predicting the amount.

Lets make this really simple....

USE IG FOR ALL CHARTS AND THEN THEY SHOULD ALL BE LIVE.....if not the they should all be delayed by the same amount.

Even if yahoo is delayed by 15mins the 10am canle you see will still have opened at 10am, you just won't be able to see it until 10.15.

If this seems a bit compliated then please step away from the keybard now and don't risk another penny until you an grasp this.

It's unbelievable really 33 post just to find out if two charts than have the same times on them started at the same time!

Thats why most feel trading is complicated, because they make it.

I hope that you are correct in that statement. It would be good for me. I never for one minute suspected that igwig index prices are delayed but I do suspect that some of the historical charts have serious differences.

if you're worried about the historical part then compare it to yahoo etc. They will both have a 10am bar which opened at ......10am.

cool! All good info, might not seem like it to you lot, but.... yeah great.
Just making absolutely sure before tommorow. Thanks

Iv'e already stated that using yahoo anything is a waste of time ...this includes any back testing of said data ...it is notoriously crap and will deffo skew results. Ommisions of chunks of data is a regular occurence. You have been warned.

Yes, I am being cautious. Personally I think or suspect that one piece of key data I am using is, well frankly, totally fictitious. Paper tomorrow, not money.