I don't feel the need to be needy...am I in the minority?

Learning the mechanics of trading is different to learning to trade.

People confuse the two and wonder why they are not profitable when all they have learnt is basic money mgmt and trade execution.

IMO the journey only begins once you understand the mechanics. That's when it gets hard.

Learning the mechanics of trading is different to learning to trade.

People confuse the two and wonder why they are not profitable when all they have learnt is basic money mgmt and trade execution.

IMO the journey only begins once you understand the mechanics. That's when it gets hard.

Good point well made :)

The strangest thing for me is that I was one of those who thanked James 16 in that other thread, and when I look at the two threads, this thread comes across as needy and that one doesn't. Obviously we have different ideas of what needy is, because, giving thanks to someone is not needy. It is in fact closer to the opposite. Whereas this thread is about you not feeling needy and how special you are because of that :). All right, I'm being a bit harsh, but you start a thread on the forum asking a question and ask whether you are in the minority (i.e. special). Presumably you want people to agree with you or for it to be shown that most disagree which would still make you special. In other words, you posted in public to get a group of strangers to agree with what you just thought. Does it get more needy than that?

The truth about learning is that everything you know, you learned yourself. It is not possible for others to give you learning and suddenly you know (at least not possible yet). But from a young age, we learn by imitating, by being shown things and by figuring out things through experimenting.

Sure you could learn how to trade on your own. You could learn theoretical physics on your own from first principles. But chances are that you won't be able to get too far unless you're a genius, and even then you'll be limited by what you can do. Surely it would be better to learn a good grounding in physics and leapfrog 100s years of experimenting. The benefit of others is that they can show you things and accelerate your learning. It will still take your own mind to learn it. Back that up with your own personal study of other 'teachings/books and of course experimentation and 'doing' and you you have a shot at really learning something well.

James 16 videos and his price action thread on ff showed me several things about the markets which help me greatly, and that is why I thanked him. And as Trader333 said, I don't see any fawning, just sincere appreciation.

The strangest thing for me is that I was one of those who thanked James 16 in that other thread, and when I look at the two threads, this thread comes across as needy and that one doesn't. Obviously we have different ideas of what needy is, because, giving thanks to someone is not needy. It is in fact closer to the opposite. Whereas this thread is about you not feeling needy and how special you are because of that :). All right, I'm being a bit harsh, but you start a thread on the forum asking a question and ask whether you are in the minority (i.e. special). Presumably you want people to agree with you or for it to be shown that most disagree which would still make you special. In other words, you posted in public to get a group of strangers to agree with what you just thought. Does it get more needy than that?

The truth about learning is that everything you know, you learned yourself. It is not possible for others to give you learning and suddenly you know (at least not possible yet). But from a young age, we learn by imitating, by being shown things and by figuring out things through experimenting.

Sure you could learn how to trade on your own. You could learn theoretical physics on your own from first principles. But chances are that you won't be able to get too far unless you're a genius, and even then you'll be limited by what you can do. Surely it would be better to learn a good grounding in physics and leapfrog 100s years of experimenting. The benefit of others is that they can show you things and accelerate your learning. It will still take your own mind to learn it. Back that up with your own personal study of other 'teachings/books and of course experimentation and 'doing' and you you have a shot at really learning something well.

James 16 videos and his price action thread on ff showed me several things about the markets which help me greatly, and that is why I thanked him. And as Trader333 said, I don't see any fawning, just sincere appreciation.

I find it fascinating how some v. paranoid and ultra defensive posters assume my question was a dig at James when it patently wasn't and I've repeated that fact twice, or is it 3 times? Havn't even read his thread on FF, I've looked at one of his vids, apparently it went on for an hour and a half... I was quite ready to accept all opinions but realised, after posting, that it may ruffle a few feathers on a few birds...

My question was more global; am I in the minority not needing to 'follow' a leader?

Am I in the minority for realising very early on in my new career that it's about 2 things; "me and the Benjamins". No one can do it for you yet I get the impression that a lot of followers won't be happy until they find someone who will sit there live and call out the live trades throughout the day and you get to mimic his trading exactly...using TA or price action in order to take trades is a doddle ffs, why the need to sign up puzzles me...

Like I stated early on in the thread "perhaps it's me", I just don't do the worshipful follower routine...

I'd hazard a guess that those that do 'follow' are struggling with their trading for a variety of reasons and immediately/desperately begin a search for comforts and crutches when the answers actually lie within, and there's plenty of snake oil salesmen/women only be too happy to oblige...

Anyhow, got to get back to writing my book, "Spreadingsense for the needy; from £1,750 to £1.75mil in 3 years"....I reckon it's 2 years off in the making... :D

dont follow the leader follow price!!!
sometimes it goes off on a tangent.
but Its not so bad once you get used to its ways.

B Swan,
I take it this is partially aimed at me as I've openly said I have learnt much from J16 & TD.
What I always try to do is give thanks where thanks is due. Its a matter of good manners apart from anything else, and as simple as that. If giving thanks is a weakness nowadays times have changed.
I know there are a few natural born traders. I'm not one of them.I tried long enough thinking trading was somehow 'instinctive' if you tried hard enough. So I know I'm not able to pull an ability to trade out of thin air - but I am able to identify my trading styles derived from and I've respect enough to acknowledge those that have helped me and thank them for the unpaid effort they put in.
And gurus, lonely remote trading, live trading sessions, neediness never came into it.

you are right, in that point glyder. in order to learn, you have to educate yourself in so many different ways - in ways convenient, and useful to you. if it has to be through books, through write-ups, through the testimonies of the experienced ones, then so be it. when you are up to a trade, education will indeed be a continuous process, that every day, you should get a grasp of new lessons if only to be competitive.

Giving thanks is a virtue, which only a few are blessed with. Glyder, you are blessed with it, go for it.

I find it fascinating how some v. paranoid and ultra defensive posters assume my question was a dig at James when it patently wasn't and I've repeated that fact twice, or is it 3 times?

You have to understand that on this forum, people don't tend to read the full post before replying. Anyway - in answer to your original point, I think you should choose blue.

You have to understand that on this forum, people don't tend to read the full post before replying. Anyway - in answer to your original point, I think you should choose blue.

I thought the policy was to shoot first and ask questions later.

This is an excellent thread. Lets not derail it.

The important point that BS raises is this : inability to trade for a whole variety of reasons breeds dependence on those who can - or who profess they can. BS should have known this would open a can of worms - and it has.

I myself looked into James 16 thread at FF - found it very useful. From Dan Arm`s thread Its all about the pips I reacquainted myself with moving averages. But none of these actually helped my trading until I incorporated them in my own way. Its nothing special - just the way I trade and everyone trades in different ways. Folowing their style of trading would not work for me - just as some elements of the way they trade did help me.

On the other hand - there are many who think wholesale adopting of their ideas is the way forward. Its not. YOUR WAY IS THE ONLY WAY FORWARD. It does not matter what the worlds greatest trader thinks - WHAT YOU THINK IS THE ONLY IMPORTANT THING. Otherwise, you will never take responsibility for your trades and blame it on someone else`s strategy or the market etc.
ANd then theres things like emotional detachment from trades - crucial in order to make money I think.

This is an excellent thread. ......

YOUR WAY IS THE ONLY WAY FORWARD. It does not matter what the worlds greatest trader thinks - WHAT YOU THINK IS THE ONLY IMPORTANT THING. Otherwise, you will never take responsibility for your trades and blame it on someone else`s strategy or the market etc.

Important point there Combo,, I new I'd moved a long way towards trading better when I could take my own advice, and didn't need to listen to anyone else AT ALL to confirm I should be in a trade or getting out of a trade. Also being able to discount and trade contrary to the tips of 'experts'' I may have recently read. And ignoring the bottom line whilst trading, only look at the market to make decisions, be it on charts or whatever other filter you may use.

But the problem I have now is every weekend I still wonder whether I'd have forgotten how to trade by Monday morning.
So I guess I haven't fully nailed it yet :)

: inability to trade for a whole variety of reasons breeds dependence on those who can - or who profess they can.

I myself looked into James 16 thread at FF - found it very useful. From Dan Arm`s thread Its all about the pips I reacquainted myself with moving averages. But none of these actually helped my trading until I incorporated them in my own way. Its nothing special - just the way I trade and everyone trades in different ways. Folowing their style of trading would not work for me - just as some elements of the way they trade did help me.

On the other hand - there are many who think wholesale adopting of their ideas is the way forward. Its not. YOUR WAY IS THE ONLY WAY FORWARD. It does not matter what the worlds greatest trader thinks - WHAT YOU THINK IS THE ONLY IMPORTANT THING. Otherwise, you will never take responsibility for your trades and blame it on someone else`s strategy or the market etc.

Good points :)

Also being able to discount and trade contrary to the tips of 'experts'' I may have recently read.

The experts have been calling a high to the stock markets and looks whats hapening. Everyone thought GBP/USD would go to 1.55 - looks where it is today. Ignore the experts, follow price action.

And ignoring the bottom line whilst trading, only look at the market to make decisions, be it on charts or whatever other filter you may use.

Oft misused but very true - trade what you see not what you feel.