HSI profit /loss calculator

I asked this question because I trade on whc demo and would like to know how to calculate my profit or loss.
I bought @ 15677 and closed @ 16211.

Is it correct to calculate this trade as profit of 534 points?

just subtract the round trip costs from the 534 points then you get the net profit

for standard contract: HK$50 per point
for mini: HK$10 per point

Thanks Jessechan,
I know that value of 1 point when trading HSI is $6.4 so I would calculate it like this:

534 x 6.40 = 3417

Sorry, but I dont understand what you mean by substracting $50 per point when trading standard contract. Did you mean $25 for entering market and $25 for closing the trade?

I thought fees when trading futures are around $5 per side - $10 RT

Did I misunderstood something?

sorry for my unclear reply

the net profit you'll earn using your currency is (534x$6.4)- round trip commission charges

the net profit position using Hong Kong Dollars will be:

standard contract: (534xHK$50)- round trip commission charges
mini contract: (534xHK$10)- round trip commission charges

sorry for the mess

Thanks a lot for explanation.

I trade only forex and would like to try futures. When I compare moves on HSI with forex these HSI moves are simply huge. I guess its not happening every day but its wednesday today and on monday there was nice move for 534 and today in the afternoon session move for about 400 points. Thats much better than moves on currencies.

Jessechan, if you dont mind I would like to ask few questions.
As far as I know spread when trading futures are low - 1-3 points or even none. Is this true also when trading HSI? How is it with order filling? Is there a slippage when entering trade?
What should I be aware of when staring with futures?

Kennard,

You should also look at the aussie SPI and the Taiwanese STW (taiwan msci on the singapore futures exchange). Both of these provide excellent trading but without the hyperenergetic nature of hsi and its corresponding spread and slippage.

My personal opinion in trading HSI:

a. it's better to trade in small size when one is new to HSI

b. the spread is reasonable if you focus on the standart contract quote, but sometimes when the market is very volatile, slippage is huge

c. it's better not to use market order when entering unless you're sure you're not chasing the market

d. obviously there's 2 trends: one in the morning and one in the afternoon (there's a lunch break in between)

e. pls note that the afternoon open is heavily influenced by the performance of Nikkei and China's stock markets so that there's often a gap up/down from the morning close

f. if you've overnight position, beware that the morning open is heavily influenced by the performance of last night's US markets plus today's Nikkei and/or China's markets

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks guys for your view on HSI.

Nine
Did you mean SPI 200 Futures contract ?
I tried to use InteractiveBrokers demo and see the charts but was unable to make it work. Later found futuresource.com site so will try it later.
Is there free unlimited demo platform where I can try SPI or Taiwanese STW ?

Jessechan,
Yes, I think if I decide to try HSI I will start with mini and will test first. I dont leave trades open so will close any trade within trading session.

I would like to ask for your opinion.
When trading forex I use fixed stop loss 25 pips and move my SL when goes in my favour accordingly.
Because of nature of futures market you think its necessary to use wider SL. What SL you use?

Finally, how big should be my account to "safely' trade just one of above mentioned markets? Obviously the bigger, the better but would be lets say $5000 enough when trading e.g just SPI ?

I can only answer the HSI part: I usally set up my stop loss in last or 2nd last reaction low/high, it depends the prevailing volatility condition.

hsi on demo

Is WHC demo still providing HSI?

The current month has ended and i cannot see how to include updated symbols.