How to make 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will see it, and I will prove it. Risk, though, is never increased. It is consistently, for me, 10% every trade. The sum of risk is always increased, because I win almost everytime on my trades (1 loser in the past 5 weeks. Maybe an exception to the rule. ).

Let me stop at that intersection for a moment. Yesterday, I had 6% gains. Today was circa 15%. Total for the 2 days is 22% (I know, 15+6=21) so far this week. 1.06 times 15% equals 21.9%. BTW, my equity in my account also reflects that. I had 132% for the month before this week started. September is now up to 161%. As we progress, we will see compunding in action. BTW, I live off this, so only considder it month-by-month, not compunded that way. (That part of it has nothing to do with the principles of what is taught, but just my way of doing it.)

Hmmm... This sounds really interesting. I will certainly keep an eye on the thread. The point that interests me most is your margining method and its work. You know, increasing the risk can't constantly lead to big wins. But that's just the words, let's see that.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that. I did mean it is inspiring, because I understood perfectly where you were coming from and the concern behind the statement. That is why that nugget is coming up quicker than I thought.

4xpip, I'm not shooting at you. I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just saying that it is very risky. Risk and reward go hand in hand. You did take on quite a lot of risk in the other thread (risk being your whole acocunt, and drawdown was up to 60%). That doesn't mean you can't do it and make 100% each month here.

I don't doubt it can be done. I made 100% in a day once. Good luck with it, and I hope I learn something from the thread, I am always a student :)

Meanreversion, I do not, and your question ties in very nicely with Shakone's comments. That is going to be addressed in a nugget coming up, and that content may surprise you.

I got to tell you about an exception to the rule. The GBP/CHF had a strong obviation on the 4-hour chart, but implications on the weekly were scaring me to death. I still had to go for it, so I entered a short with a stop. My stop got hit....barely, and like the old saying goes, "the rest is history." Still, I don't regret doing what I felt was right at the time.

4x, do you set an initial stop when you enter a trade?

I look forward to seeing how this thread progresses 4x. I like what I have seen of your strategy over in your other thread.

A quick question though... If you margin 10% of your account, what does this mean exactly? You use 10x leverage? You also say that you risk only 10% per trade but how can this be maintained when 100 pips = 10%? Do you just never let a trade go more than 100 pips offside?

I hope it works out too. If it does I'll be around to torment you guys for at least another 6months--lol.

Let's say there is 10K in an account (That seems to be the popualr amount bandied about.). In order to trade 1 lot 1K is put up for margin or collateral on the trade. 1/10= 10%.

It has nothing to do with risk per trade. If I'm 200 pips down on a trade, that would be 20%.

Also when I speak of return on the trade it is the return on the total rquity, not the return on the amount put up or risked on each trade. I don't trade futures or spreadbet, but it is a vernacular I hear a lot.

I look forward to seeing how this thread progresses 4x. I like what I have seen of your strategy over in your other thread.

A quick question though... If you margin 10% of your account, what does this mean exactly? You use 10x leverage? You also say that you risk only 10% per trade but how can this be maintained when 100 pips = 10%? Do you just never let a trade go more than 100 pips offside?

So, to be clear, you're risking 10-20 pct of your account per trade, use mental stops and recently suffered drawdown of 70 pct on your entire equity? Correct me if any of that is wrong, I'm just trying to get a handle on your risk parameters.

Let's say there is 10K in an account (That seems to be the popualr amount bandied about.). In order to trade 1 lot 1K is put up for margin or collateral on the trade. 1/10= 10%.

So you trade with a set 100x leverage?

Trading without stops, do you ever worry about slippage or random events screwing your account over?

So, to be clear, you're risking 10-20 pct of your account per trade, use mental stops and recently suffered drawdown of 70 pct on your entire equity? Correct me if any of that is wrong, I'm just trying to get a handle on your risk parameters.

What I'd like to know is did MedsB have a dog? :D

As I promised before, that answer is coming.
Be patient.

Nugget II--Marginging

Much clamor and concern for my margining habits and my risk appetite, so I will have to get back to the nugget I started on "Understanding a Trend". For now it's time to pull back the mystery on the concern of Tucker possibly being effected by Swan's meds.

This part of the picture would make a lot more sense after I finish the segment on the Trend. So, we'll jump in the middle of it. I'll discuss exactly how I can let trades go back on me 70% (The highest amount this year, btw.), not bad an eyelash, and come out 28% gain on the total equity. BTW, what I'm about ready to discuss in this part of the segment, I give strict adherance to 100% of the time.

The object in entering a trade is to find a place where either the ultimate pullback within a trend has happened, or find the ultimate peak or dip in a trend and find the reversal. It also helps in being aware of the TF the trader is considering, along with what is happened on higher TF's, and even some of the lower ones. In the first nugget I discussed how that cable had gone sideways on the daily, but was trending on the lower TF's. So, everytime I enter a trade, the timing is perfect, and the trade goes exactly as intended--NOT. It is those times that having a plan B in place has helped immensely.

My S&R's not only give excellent points for reversals or corrections, but they also measure a trend's decomposition, along with the length of the trend within that TF (Go to my other site for more info on my S&R's.) If I see where a possible reversal is at an S or R, I enter, but then if I get a continuation, then it will head to the next one. By now, I am down several pips. If I see the continuation is going to happen, I might wait for a pullabck to that particular reference point, and then exit, for the most part with a small loss. If in the event I am off by a whole leg, then I will wait for the next one to complete its run, add another position, and double my pleasure. Usually ,when I am off by one whole leg, the reversal happens with some explosiveness happiness that adds pips like crazy .(Did you see what happened to the GBP/CHF yesterday? That was my short. I was down by about 30 pips, and then Tucker and I go out for some chase-around-the-property fun. Then I had some friends over for some Hillbilly Golf, and then I came back in, which was 2 hours later, and the trade hit my TP for over 100 pips and over 10% gain on my account.)

Back to the scenario. Every once in awhile, I am off by 2 whole legs, which is the rarest of ordeals. That is when I add in a 3rd position. At that point, my wife gets jealous because I become married to the trade. By that point, it is a very extreme situation. This is where the backup plans comes to play.

Once the trade is buried by 2 legs, it almost has to move in my direction, because my methodology says so. The candles are flying too high above or sinking too far below the cloud. There's a mystic magnetism in the cloud that says, "You are returning to me." (I'll cover more of that later, too.) Still, there is no comfort zone until the Move happens. One of two things happens. I create a comfort zone, or I wait patiently.

You might say, "Create a comfort zone!? Are you stupit!?" And of course, Swan thinks me and Tucker are defintely on meds by now. Seriously, this is a business, and it has to be treated that way. (If you are struggling with your trading or are a newbie, paste and copy that last statement somewhere please.) How many times have we been told or read to never invest our last dime in the markets? I have self-proclaimed ice in my veins. If it wasn't for my backup plan, that ice would melt. In case of emergency, I always (Read and digest that last word please.), always (Repeating, just for good measure.) have an equi-amount of liquid assets as in my trading account. I can use it and in less than 5 minutes that recent deposit is reflected in my account. By putting equi-cash in my trading account, I have, in effect bought 1,000 pips. At that point I can sleep easy, knowing I have revived my comfort zone. Once the trade recovers. I take out the amount I paid for the "comfort zone", take my wife out to eat for doing such a splendid job, and life, once again is grand.

When was the last time I had to do that? Last year. There are also many ways to confidently measure when a pair has reached extremes. I will cover them in later nuggets.

Nugget III-- Margining II

Once again, finding a pair's extreme readings will take some time to develop, and so it is never advised to break all the stereotyped stop rules like I do. I have learned and take confidence in the fact my methodology allows me to find those extreme readings. Later, I will give live postings in this thread to better show what I am talking about. I will post charts with my methodology on it that will reveal those extreme readings, and I will post outside of my methodology.

The last paragraph had nothing to do with margining, and the title does say "Margining II", so I better get with it. Trading needs to be as less of a stress as possible. The mind needs to be clear in evaluating entries for trades (I'll cover more on that later.). The first thing to do is develop a methodology. That, a lot of times is the easy part. I made 50% on my demo account my 1st week. (Worse thing that ever happened to me. It's called a false confidence. It would have been better to bankrupt my account in the 1st week.) After the methodology has been established, then margin principles need to be established. IMO, the number one reason traders fail is the mental part. Too much stress, fear, doubt, greed, and whatever other mental obstacles work, and then the trading account reflects that. One of the things to prevent mental stress is to have a nest egg in the backgournd of your trading account. Vow to your self to never veer from that. If you adapt my strategy (read the previous nugget) of buying a comfort zone if you get in hot water, it is a big comfort in knowing it is there to back you up.

Someone told me, "But, Paul, I only got $1,000." I told him, "Fine. Play by the rules. Dump $500 in your savings account, and $500 in your trading account." It's that simple. If you come up with another $100 to invest, put $50 in the savings, and $50 in the trading. Your savings has to be a part of your total trading plan. Just be patient in the humble beginnings. Don't rush it. If you only have enough money to only play with the small fries, don't be ashamed of it. You will feel good after you doubled your account for the first time.

Another thing about margining is to make sure it fits your style of trading, and in lieu of your margining, make sure you are fully ensconced in your methodology. I can trade like a maniac, because my methodology has proven itself over and over again.

Here's another fact about my 10%. First, I already discussed the high-probablity my trades will yield. I could just ride one trade at a time. If I found the optimum entry, then odds are not too good the trade will back up on me 1,000 pips before it goes in my favor. This is one of my favorite lines I came up with, "It is not the journey that counts, but the final destiantion." I want to enter every trade and then take the jet to my final destination. But, odds are every trade will not turn out like my GBP/CHF did yesterday, so if it is the scenic route that must be taken, then so be it.

I hope that sheds some light on why I margin the way I do, and why my backup plan is part of the overall structure of my margining. It is the confidence in that, and why my account is up 162% this month, and 22% this week. This will probably be the last nugget devoted to margining, so jump in with questions, comments, and concerns. I'm planning the next nugget as we go back to "Trends".

This entire ordeal, BTW, is not designed to try and convince anyone to do as I do within the context of my methodology, or my margining, etc. It is designed to get traders to think, and to glean from these helpful nuggets. If you are not turning 100% over in predictable succession, then why not? Got to ask, you know. That is what this thread is all about. Much, much more to come. I only want "A" students in my class.

Time for some plugs

Seeing this is a thread of ideas, which most of all will direct our attention to what the title is all about, I want to plug some of my favorite threads, because I believe they are excellent to follow to adopt possibly adopt more ideas to trade with.

"My live trades" with Wirraltraders. He is a no nonsense trader, and has a proven track record. He's highly transparent.

"EUR/USD Elliot Wave" with Jah Dave. He's a very hard worker and hsa put in ardurous hours in developing his EW methodology. He's a nice guy and an excellent trader .

"GBP/USD 123" with Pipmaster. Not many trades, but this guy is hghly effective.

"3 Ducks" with Captain Currency. Many have raved about his thread (Now I'm jealous--lol.). He even has a free e-book if you ask him for it.

www.actionforex.com. Many helpful things to look at if you are a newbie. Those folks know what to do when they get a chart in their hand.

MetalsTrader. He posts his trades on my thread. That dude is dynamite! 90%! No joke! I still have not witnessed his 10%. BTW, he knows a little secret that I'm going to tell in an upcoming nugget. Believe me, very helpful information that traders need to know. Helps them turn that 100% a lot quicker.

You know what to do to get to my other thread. Bottom line, this is not all about me. All I'm going to do is hand out the tools that will send us all to 100%. These props I gave are just more ideas for the artillery.

Re: Nugget II--Marginging

By putting equi-cash in my trading account, I have, in effect bought 1,000 pips. At that point I can sleep easy, knowing I have revived my comfort zone. Once the trade recovers. I take out the amount I paid for the "comfort zone", take my wife out to eat for doing such a splendid job, and life, once again is grand.

When was the last time I had to do that? Last year. There are also many ways to confidently measure when a pair has reached extremes. I will cover them in later nuggets.

i'm sorry 4xpip, but I find this route to gain your comfort rather risky, so you just add more money to your account to cover the margin...!! not sure that would make me comfortable! All it takes is for one day for that to fail and your whole account plus your spare cash is gone! sounds like a medbs plan to me...

one further question 4xpip, i'm intrigued as to whether you'll hint at what actual $ size your account is which you can allow to go down 70%? I'm mightly impressed at your risk tolerance for example if you let a $100,000 account lose $70,000 !!!!!!

This is perhaps a more minor point, but surely basing your risk on the amount of margin required (a static number which rarely changes) doesn't take into account actual underlying volatility at the time of trade (ATR is a popular method of measuring this).

If you're risking 10-20% per trade, well.. whatever, carry on..

Re drawdown - suppose you're trading multiple pairs (5, say), they become closely correlated and all go against you by say 3 or 4 legs. Can you handle that?

Were you in trades during the flash crash (6 May), or in August 2007 (if memory serves, 16 August 2007 was an interesting day)? What were your experiences ?

Cheers

Re: Nugget II--Marginging

Back to the scenario. Every once in awhile, I am off by 2 whole legs, which is the rarest of ordeals. That is when I add in a 3rd position. At that point, my wife gets jealous because I become married to the trade. By that point, it is a very extreme situation. This is where the backup plans comes to play.

Once the trade is buried by 2 legs, it almost has to move in my direction, because my methodology says so. The candles are flying too high above or sinking too far below the cloud. There's a mystic magnetism in the cloud that says, "You are returning to me." (I'll cover more of that later, too.) Still, there is no comfort zone until the Move happens. One of two things happens. I create a comfort zone, or I wait patiently.

You might say, "Create a comfort zone!? Are you stupit!?" And of course, Swan thinks me and Tucker are defintely on meds by now. Seriously, this is a business, and it has to be treated that way. (If you are struggling with your trading or are a newbie, paste and copy that last statement somewhere please.) How many times have we been told or read to never invest our last dime in the markets? I have self-proclaimed ice in my veins. If it wasn't for my backup plan, that ice would melt. In case of emergency, I always (Read and digest that last word please.), always (Repeating, just for good measure.) have an equi-amount of liquid assets as in my trading account. I can use it and in less than 5 minutes that recent deposit is reflected in my account. By putting equi-cash in my trading account, I have, in effect bought 1,000 pips. At that point I can sleep easy, knowing I have revived my comfort zone. Once the trade recovers. I take out the amount I paid for the "comfort zone", take my wife out to eat for doing such a splendid job, and life, once again is grand.

Sorry 4xpip but you are sufferring from hubris here. You have no disaster plan - you are assuming things will always go your way eventually. What happens if they don't - what are you going to do? Saying it won't happen is foolish. You can trade for the next 20 years - it only needs to happen once in that time for you to be wiped out and back where you started, non the wiser.

A common mistake and one I fell for when I started trading. We've seen it happen on this board many times, each time there's the protest of regulars who say this is not sustainable and every time the trader in question dismisses the argument because it can't happen with their system. And every time they go for a month or two and then suffer a huge loss & disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.