• New to T2W? Welcome! This forum contains a list of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) that new members want answers to. We don't allow new threads to be created so if you have an idea for a new FAQ please post it in the How the FAQs work thread.

FAQ How Long Does it Take to Make a Stable Income from Trading?

Random evidence :

Duration = 3.5 years

Deposits = 100K

Profit = 115K

Average income = 38.3K/year

Vendor = Yes

http://www.myfxbook.com/members/FXViperTrading/fx-viper-live-master-account/616112

Thanks, this is confirming my suspicion that even the best traders are not "trading for a living" but are trading for supplemental income, the biggest myth pushed by trading marketers is that position size in trading can be scaled up once an "edge" is found. Forex has not yet had the paradigm shift that futures and stocks have in institutional algorithms. Once HFT takes over the FX markets the stability in these returns will diminish greatly, as they have in stocks and futures for non-institutional traders over the past decade, according to many academic articles and word-of-mouth from brokerages.

Thanks, this is confirming my suspicion that even the best traders are not "trading for a living" but are trading for supplemental income, the biggest myth pushed by trading marketers is that position size in trading can be scaled up once an "edge" is found. Forex has not yet had the paradigm shift that futures and stocks have in institutional algorithms. Once HFT takes over the FX markets the stability in these returns will diminish greatly, as they have in stocks and futures for non-institutional traders over the past decade, according to many academic articles and word-of-mouth from brokerages.
If this is the same guy that was on the BBC documentary which you can find on YouTube then he does trade for a living. He manages money for clients and I recall the FX book Acc is a separate account.

Regarding fx and algorithms. They exist just the FX markets are so large that you only see them in thin markets or in specific events.

Ok but his 38k per year is enough for a living for some , whether he is/isnt looking for other means to make more money has no bearing on the fact that he managed to make a living from his forex account .

Ok but his 38k per year is enough for a living for some , whether he is/isnt looking for other means to make more money has no bearing on the fact that he managed to make a living from his forex account .

No withdrawls were made during the time period, so it's more like a hobby or long-term financial pursuit than trading for a living. I have trouble believing anyone could have those sort of returns with the added pressure caused by withdrawing profits to cover living expenses on a weekly basis, let alone unforeseen expenses. The 100K account balance is very large and provides a cushion for error that most traders will not have, all while not increasing position size, which most traders would foolishly do. If most trading book authors mentioned capital requirements their books would never sell. Same with brokerages, the low ES margin trading dream sold by many futures brokerages should be illegal, unless they can provide evidence to regulators that a near-majority of their clients can successfully trade with the extreme leverage they sell.

No withdrawls were made during the time period, so it's more like a hobby or long-term financial pursuit than trading for a living. I have trouble believing anyone could have those sort of returns with the added pressure caused by withdrawing profits to cover living expenses on a weekly basis, let alone unforeseen expenses. The 100K account balance is very large and provides a cushion for error that most traders will not have, all while not increasing position size, which most traders would foolishly do. If most trading book authors mentioned capital requirements their books would never sell. Same with brokerages, the low ES margin trading dream sold by many futures brokerages should be illegal, unless they can provide evidence to regulators that a near-majority of their clients can successfully trade with the extreme leverage they sell.

Then maybe you should define trading for a living in clear points .

Constant withdrawals are one of the conditions ?

No withdraws made because that fx book account is there to show new investors what to expect from the managed fund.

Then maybe you should define trading for a living in clear points .

Constant withdrawals are one of the conditions ?

Definitely. Doing something "for a living" is a phrase that's been used for centuries to mean how you provide resources for yourself and your family to survive. I've never seen evidence that anyone has ever traded for a living the way a subsistence farmer provides resources for their family by producing food to live off of.

Definitely. Doing something "for a living" is a phrase that's been used for centuries to mean how you provide resources for yourself and your family to survive. I've never seen evidence that anyone has ever traded for a living the way a subsistence farmer provides resources for their family by producing food to live off of.

Ok what about amounts ? Duration ?

Ok what about amounts ? Duration ?

That would depend on which country the trader lives in, their tax code and average cost of living for where they live and their particular income needs.

Trading differs from lots of other ways of making money in that the stability of your returns can be diminished greatly not only by rapidly changing technologies but by increased taxes and fees on trading. In USA Hillary Clinton had a trading tax planned on all trading transactions, even a fee on cancelled orders to curb HFT, this would have greatly destabilized income returns for almost all American traders regardless of their edge or individual trading psychology.

That would depend on which country the trader lives in, their tax code and average cost of living for where they live and their particular income needs.

Trading differs from lots of other ways of making money in that the stability of your returns can be diminished greatly not only by rapidly changing technologies but by increased taxes and fees on trading. In USA Hillary Clinton had a trading tax planned on all trading transactions, even a fee on cancelled orders to curb HFT, this would have greatly destabilized income returns for almost all American traders regardless of their edge or individual trading psychology.

http://www.myfxbook.com/members/husman/husman-yusof/1556269

Duration = 3 Years .

Deposits = 14.5K

Withdrawals = 41K

Profits = 26.5K

Country = Malaysia

Vendor = No

How the algos have ruined the market!

Actually, could someone give us a hand cos it all looks the same to me :confused:

6099-darktone-albums-general-6-picture4646-history.jpg

up down up down

http://www.myfxbook.com/members/husman/husman-yusof/1556269

Duration = 3 Years .

Deposits = 14.5K

Withdrawals = 41K

Profits = 26.5K

Country = Malaysia

Vendor = No

The average holding time of 2 days would make such trading strategies very difficult if not impossible in a market like the ES with predatory algorithms that run stops in any direction where liquidity is highest, often the euro and asian markets seek out liquidity in the opposite direction of the US algorithms, all in the same day.

Have you considered the possibility that deep in there somewhere, you dont actually want to be a trader?

6099-darktone-albums-general-6-picture4650-pete.jpg

Have you considered the possibility that deep in there somewhere, you dont actually want to be a trader?

6099-darktone-albums-general-6-picture4650-pete.jpg

I am a futures daytrader with the scars to prove it if you want to see them PM me. Show me the futures traders who make stable income. I know DionysusToast and dbphoenix and others who have an interest in futures make a calculable and stable income, but I have yet to encounter any futures traders who do.

I am a futures daytrader with the scars to prove it if you want to see them PM me. Show me the futures traders who make stable income. I know DionysusToast and dbphoenix and others who have an interest in futures make a calculable and stable income, but I have yet to encounter any futures traders who do.

Scars? you burn yourself on the coffee machine or somethin?

Have a look at Don Miller trading ES.