How do big players trade?

Met a professional trader few weeks back who averages ~20K a month. He trades S/R only.

Met a professional trader few weeks back who averages ~20K a month. He trades S/R only.

-20 grand a month..impressive stuff, GS will want him as a sunbeam eh? get the clients to follow him, take the other side, kerching..

I thought this thread had the potential to be an interesting discussion, with some thoughtful responses. As a new member, I am unfamiliar with the community here, but from browsing around other threads it appears that the majority treat this business as a bit of a joke.

For those who approach trading in this way, it isn't difficult to predict their outcome. Are any of the membership interested in serious discussions, or just toilet humour?

erm..no, most migrate here for a bit of a laugh, trading is serious enough. Most of us know what we have to do in order to make money, but heh, knock yourself out, you be the straight guy..you've made a cracking start..:D

Its all good as they say, and as long as I can pick the brains of these guys now and then im happy:cool:

-20 grand a month..impressive stuff, GS will want him as a sunbeam eh? get the clients to follow him, take the other side, kerching..

maybe he does not want GS? and is happy with ~20K a month working 4hrs a day without a@seholes from big banks on his back ?! (y)

I thought this thread had the potential to be an interesting discussion, with some thoughtful responses. As a new member, I am unfamiliar with the community here, but from browsing around other threads it appears that the majority treat this business as a bit of a joke.

For those who approach trading in this way, it isn't difficult to predict their outcome. Are any of the membership interested in serious discussions, or just toilet humour?

Different forum sections for different purposes, you have probably been looking on threads in the foyer. That’s the sort of place to go after a night in the pub, or when waiting for trades and frustrated.

Other sections are more serious. A lot will depend on where you are in your trading as to what you need from this site. I am no longer searching for answers, so I find more threads less interesting.

Think of it as a pub full of traders chatting/debating and the occasional bit of value and seminar thrown in.

You're two years too late, my friend!

Thanks for your response. What happened two years ago? I'm digging through old content, but there is a lot here - some links to high quality discussions would be helpful if you have any handy?

Different forum sections for different purposes...
Other sections are more serious. A lot will depend on where you are in your trading as to what you need from this site. I am no longer searching for answers, so I find more threads less interesting.

Think of it as a pub full of traders chatting/debating and the occasional bit of value and seminar thrown in.

I think your pub analogy is quite useful. Perhaps I learn more about my own perceptions of what a trading site should be. I thought the proportions of frivolity and serious business discussions would be reversed. Its the old 80/20 rule, and I expected to find 80% business and 20% humour.

I am always searching for answers, as there is always something new to be learned. In fact, the more developed I become as a trader, the more I perceive in trading discussions with others. Naturally I don't expect to find a ready made system on the Internet, and have been trained in speculation at an institution so not looking for shortcuts here.

Not sure if there are any special rules on site promotion, but I had some good experiences reading / posting over at Victor Neiderhoffer's "Daily Speculations" - the atmosphere there is very interesting, but perhaps more formal than tradetowin.

Back to the original question. I'll add that neither 20k per month or 20k per day is a "big player".

Thanks for your response. What happened two years ago? I'm digging through old content, but there is a lot here - some links to high quality discussions would be helpful if you have any handy?

The chap you are asking, Dante has some good threads from about two years ago.

I am always searching for answers, as there is always something new to be learned. In fact, the more developed I become as a trader, the more I perceive in trading discussions with others. Naturally I don't expect to find a ready made system on the Internet, and have been trained in speculation at an institution so not looking for shortcuts here.

Back to the original question. I'll add that neither 20k per month or 20k per day is a "big player".

Maybe you could help to answer the threads question. What type of institution were you trained by and how did the institution trade?

Different forum sections for different purposes, you have probably been looking on threads in the foyer. That’s the sort of place to go after a night in the pub, or when waiting for trades and frustrated.

I think you're doing it wrong if you come back from a night out and come on T2W.

The profitable big players follow commercial activity in the markets. They are the most powerful group that move prices the markets. Study Larry Williams.

but after me they now understand the dead parrot on your avatar

Parrot sports equipment. Peter is actually holding the new 'Hydro Parrot'. It's a device for holding water (water bottle), marathon runners are starting to use it.

but after me they now understand the dead parrot on your avatar

the ex-parrot?

it's not dead it's just pining for the fjords

beautiful plumage don't you think

on topic: probably some mix of fundamental analysis and mathematical models (option pricing, share valuation) they would definitely use support and resistance levels, even if it is just to hunt the stops