High-street Death List

Most people on this site will probably be already aware but I'll state the obvious anyway. :eek:

The high street sales this year seems to be very brisk with lots of foot soldiers looking for bargains BUT those sales are based on heavy discounting -> small profits.

At the end of the day margins are slight and pressures are bearing down on business costs...

One of my clients on Great Portland Street moved out early this year (2008) because the lease extension he was trying to negotiate was simply way over the top whilst his client like M&S was asking for bigger discounts.

Their action was to drop M&S a big customer - no point in producing at silly margins and secondly, relocate to the suburbs away from expensive rents in the centre.

This raises the question, where does M&S get their produce made, at what quality? China & India perhaps? Secondly, has the vacant property re-let at the asking price? No! It has not meaning the landlord was totally behind the game and unrealistic in his valuation in the current climate.

Just one small example but in aggregate even REITS are under pressure to renogtiate leases and terms otherwise their clients will go to the wall further compounding their occupancy rates. British Land and Land Securities look vulnerable too. (Bigger they are the harder they fall - how long will they stand if this recession is a prelonged depression?)

The ripple effect through out the economy is just starting now and the extent of those Tsunami like waves will only grow not dissipate. We'll have to wait for some of these earnings to be announced in the months ahead to see how good the sales period has really been. :( :-0 :eek:

errr.......no......people will keep their belongings or sell them on eBay, not give them away

cheap rents (better than nothing for landlords)
no cost for products
little or no staff costs
etc

So far
=====

- Woolworths
- The Officers Club
- Zavvi
- Whittards

Good idea ChillTrader, let's keep a running list.

- Retailer Morgan- 31/12/08 - in administration - BBC NEWS | Business | Retailer Morgan in administration

- Adams - 28/12/08 - Retailer poised for administration - BBC NEWS | Business | Adams 'poised for administration'
- MFI - 19/12/08 - BBC NEWS | Business | Furniture chain MFI closes down
- Woolworths
- The Officers Club
- Zavvi
- Whittards

Last edited:
Liberty Intl owns shopping centres i think and if half the clients go bust and the other half only want to pay cheap rent...and wth no customers only hoodies in the centres they could be in a bit of trouble

(i know some yank bought X% but he's probably got enough on his plate now and who'd fund his bid for a company worth as much as his?)

Last edited:
As a flip side i believe a company called McBride (MCB.L) makes a lot of the no frills brands for the supermarkets...could be a good play if they get bashed as well

(do your own research on this though!)

What about Jessops?

They sell over-priced out-of-date cameras, and in our local store, every time we went in to get them to take studio pictures, their equipment wasn't working. They did actually close my local store already. Maybe more are to follow.....

What about Jessops?

They sell over-priced out-of-date cameras, and in our local store, every time we went in to get them to take studio pictures, their equipment wasn't working. They did actually close my local store already. Maybe more are to follow.....

Their flagship store in suburban Leicester which at one time was trailed as the largest store of photo equipment in the UK has now or is about to close. They reckon the small High St. shop is more appropriate.

I think their business model is flawed - I've bought lots of good kit from them and they always matched internet prices (if asked). You have the benefit of getting the kit in your hands as you hand over the money and if there are any problems you can take it back and deal with a real person. But at internet prices? - it just doesn't add up.

They're already heavily in debt I believe and I thought they would go under when they recently re-negotiated their banking facilities. I reckon it's only a matter of time now.

I suspect PC World will suffer the same problems.

Icelandic stakes in UK Plc

Baugur (investment company)

Mosaic Fashions, Coast, Karen Millen, Oasis, Odille, Principles, Shoe Studio Group, Warehouse, Whistles, Jane Norman, MK One, All Saints, House of Fraser, Booker, Iceland, Woodward Foodservice, Julian Graves and Whittard of Chelsea, Hamleys, Aurum, Goldsmiths, Mappin & Webb, Wyevale Garden Centres, Watches of Switzerland, Debenhams, Woolworths, French Connection, Moss Bros

Arev (investment company)

Aspinal of London, Blooming Marvellous, Cruise, Duchamp, Hardy Amies, GHOST, Jones Bootmaker, Limeys, Linens 'n Things, Mountain Warehouse, Unisport

Kaupthing (investment bank)

Singer & Friedlander, Somerfield

FL Group (investment company)

Inspired Gaming Group, House of Fraser

Landsbanki (investment bank)

Icesave

Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson (Icelandic billionaire)

West Ham Football Club Box Label DT

Blimey, there a quite a few surprises here in the sense that I hadn't realised how deep and wide the Icelandic involvement in the UK high street actually became! Looking beyond this list, you've got to say that there'll be a massacre in any other private equity involvement/participation where or whenever it runs out of funding. But, then maybe it'll provide some of the players with another opportunity to dump on the banks (err, taxpayers).

Anyway, have a good one. :)

Cheers

Mayfly

In some locations (e.g. train stations, convenient clothing in small towns) they' have close to a monopoly... I do do my best to aboid them

I hope you guys don't misunderstand when I ask this ( I haven't got a fetish or anything like that )

but where do you guys prefer to buy your underpants from then ?

dd

Buy underpants ?????????

I just steal them off washing lines.

No seriously yacarob1, I have a genuine reason for asking.

I don't know if it's my age or if underpants are now made specifically for men from a single ethnic group but to me underpants just don't seem to do the job they used to do when I was younger ( if you know what I mean ).

Anyone else experience this ?

I believe Jeremy Paxman was bangin on about this last year :rolleyes:

dd