Hedge Fund Assistant Role

majicka

Hi,

Apologies, this isn't so much of a trading question but I thought some of you might be able to answer it. I have an interview with a hedge fund (private client) as an Assistant; I've been told that there probably won't be potential to move into a fund manager role with this company.

Can anyone suggest any front office/ revenue generating areas that I may be able to progress into at a later date? If I was offered the job (a big 'if'!), I think I'd have to take it anyway, as it sounds like it could be a really good opportunity.

Thanks

Progression to a Fund Manager is not out of the question .
You may be able to study part-time while in the assistant role .
Sounds like a good opportunity .

I also think it would be a great opportunity!

I never thought hedge funds recruited for assistant roles. Is this a "Trading Assistant" position?

I also think it would be a great opportunity!

I never thought hedge funds recruited for assistant roles. Is this a "Trading Assistant" position?

No, it's actually a Desk Assistant, supporting a few fund managers. It doesn't sound the most intellectually challenging role (a bit repetitive, with a lot of admin) but I think it should hopefully provide other opportunities later on.

Anyway, I'm just going to try and do my best in the interview!

No, it's actually a Desk Assistant, supporting a few fund managers. It doesn't sound the most intellectually challenging role (a bit repetitive, with a lot of admin) but I think it should hopefully provide other opportunities later on.

Anyway, I'm just going to try and do my best in the interview!
Go for it and best of luck!

As to it being repetitive, etc, a lot of it really ends up being up to you (obv, there's some luck involved also). A lot of very good, very successful people started out as desk assistants, getting coffee for their seniors, taking notes, doing paperwork and being abused, so you have a chance to follow in some rather special footsteps.

Last edited:
Thanks man, that's a good way of thinking about it! To be honest, I'm sure I'd bite their hands-off if they were to offer me the role (especially as it's better paid than my current role and probably less boring!)