Half tick on Short Sterling

brucemole

What's people's thoughts?

Will it be across the curve or just the front 2 contracts to start? Will they then apply it to the whole curve?

Are people thinking of trading euribor instead? Will SS be a viable day trader market?

Is short sterling going half tick? I just started trading it recently. Alas it doesn't have much noise in it.

There was a "consoltation" out a couple of months ago. For short sterling the options were some of the front months (front four iirc) or every single month, for euroswiss every month or not at all. It does seem to me that this may have the opposite effect to the one wanted by discouraging scalping for one tick, and thereby reduce liquidity and volume. Could be very wrong there though...

No idea, I'll keep you updated when I find out, but that might be sometime after the decision has been made.

Apparently half ticks are coming in on the full board on sterling. Swiss remains full ticks.

Good if sterling remains as volatile and keeps at least current volumes. Otherwise very bad as scalping for a half tick at 6.25 would be completely pointless.

arabiannights

You seem like a pretty sharp guy on stir futures. I was wondering if you could share your trading style and maybe give some tips on those market. Do you trade off of the orderbook? If so would you mind explaining how you do it? If you want to pm that is fine.

Thanks

Oh dear...

Not quite what it was on Thursday!

Edit to add: on the bright side, that trade I'm getting into at 735 I got out of at 730 for only 20 ticks loss ;)

Attachments

• rubbish.PNG
    rubbish.PNG
    19.1 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Many sterling traders on here?

Are the half ticks killing stirling? Feels like locals are having a lot of trouble trading since the half ticks. Anyone compared volumes before and after half ticks?

volumes are s9imilar but it makes it expensive to scalp...
market conditions aren't helping with thin liquidity

volumes are s9imilar but it makes it expensive to scalp...
market conditions aren't helping with thin liquidity

I wonder if LIFFE would have gone for the half ticks if they knew how market conditions were about to change? I doubt it.

It's fantastic when you are on a move, but as soon as it turns it's evil.

It looks like a lot of locals are getting topped and tailed to my eyes. It's turned into a nasty market. Before half ticks, you always felt like there was half a chance to get out of a bad position for a scratch up, now it feels like a bit of of a lottery, especially when the market is quiet...