GREY1 P/L daily

Grey1 said:
Hi guys

Sorry about my absence I have few guests and wont be able to be on the BB much . But things will change after 16th Sep. I will be trading full time again after my guests gone

thanks

No worries Grey1, enjoy the break, you deserve it, after all the help you have given everyone here, and as you know the market will always be there. :)

Hi Grey1,

Hope you have a nice break. At least it will give me a chance to go over all the posts properly, they were appearing faster than I could take them in :cheesy:.
Have fun!

All the best MarkB

DiscoPete said:
Thanks leo, got a question, what was the dow doing when ebay went up 5%? Didn't have TS running so i don't know but if I was playing it I would either wait unitl dow is OS then long ebay (as per strat 3) or if dow was never OS then go long a stock that is outperforming sector. Interesting to note that when volume levels fall in ebay chart posted above, the stock goes into consolidation. Grey1 recommends going into cash when consolidation takes place.

Hi

I have attached Ebay and Dow on 17th Aug. MACCI only is a number of MACCIs for INDU. Strat#3 is good for that. To me, it is a continuation of uptrend which broke out the day before. Any kind of trend following system would have got it anyway. :D

regards,

Attachments

• 060817_ebay_indu.jpg
    060817_ebay_indu.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 53
Has anyone else considered an overnight Long position on SYMC with a view to an immediate exit when the market next opens ? The overall market is oversold as is SYMC so it will of interest to see what price it opens at. The price you could get in the last 5 minutes was $18.88 so let's see how it performs.

Paul

Trader333 said:
Has anyone else considered an overnight Long position on SYMC with a view to an immediate exit when the market next opens ? The overall market is oversold as is SYMC so it will of interest to see what price it opens at. The price you could get in the last 5 minutes was $18.88 so let's see how it performs.

Paul
Paul

SYMC is the darling of the market now a days and I have bought loads of it @ much lower price than ur entry( swing ) . SYMC has been all over CNBC and is talk of a take over hence the high relative strength .

I am very bearish towards market direction up until 20Sep and i feel market will pull all stocks down more and less how ever the down side risk to SYMC is small .

For a quick scalp on SYMC the answer is yes it is a good trade but Try to look for SHORT candidates than longs. APPL ,HPQ , SYMC are best long plays that I know off.

Grey1 said:
Paul

SYMC is the darling of the market now a days and I have bought loads of it @ much lower price than ur entry( swing ) . SYMC has been all over CNBC and is talk of a take over hence the high relative strength .

I am very bearish towards market direction up until 20Sep and i feel market will pull all stocks down more and less how ever the down side risk to SYMC is small .

For a quick scalp on SYMC the answer is yes it is a good trade but Try to look for SHORT candidates than longs. APPL ,HPQ , SYMC are best long plays that I know off.

There seems to be a lot of negative sentiment building up over the American economy , in that its about to hit the skids, big time? :arrowd:

This was a VWAP MPD trade looking to move back to VWAP line. NVDA didnt but AAPL did.

The SYMC trade ended up being break even

Trader333 said:
This was a VWAP MPD trade looking to move back to VWAP line. NVDA didnt but AAPL did.

The SYMC trade ended up being break even

well done Paul, hope you got the weighting right. :)

Trader333 said:
Pairing AAPL Long 67.84 with NVDA Short 27.95

Hi Paul,

Apart from the price touching the MPD, was there any other indication you checked before entering the trade? viz. Dow's strength (Dow at this time was not indicating a trending day today)? I got short signals for AMGN and AMZN at around 15:25-UK time- but both of them continued to go higher and I was stopped (I did not trade in pair- a mistake perhaps).
On the other hand, at around 1845 APPL gave a long signal and in this case the price did rise from 66.861 but did not make it to the VWAP.
Regards

Raj

At the time the Dow was not trending (I know it did later but not at this time). On my setup NVDA was overbought and at +MPD so I looked for a Long candidate and AAPL was close to -MPD and was also over sold. The measure of volatily that I use was the same for both at the time so the same position size was appropriate. If these had not been pair traded then losses could easily have been incurred because they oscillated before AAPL gave a clear profit although the position did not show a loss at any time (which is why a pair trade was the best option at the time).

Paul

Paul

Thanks for putting up your last couple of posts. I find real life examples from someone who 'knows what they are doing' really helpful.

You say above that NVDA was OB and AAPL was OS. I assume based on three timeframe MACCI?

To help me, could I ask you to confirm that my MACCI setting are correct (same as yours):

On the MACCI Send: General Tab: update every tick - Auto Detect Max bars back - Load additional 5 bars back.. INPUTS; Length 1 = 6 and LENGTH 2 = 5

On MACCI Receive: General Tab; update every tick, Auto detect max bars back and load additional 5 bars.

Inputs ; Interval 1 = 1, Interval 2 =3 and Interval 3 = 5.

Thanks in advance Paul,

Cheers

Steve

Trader333 said:
At the time the Dow was not trending (I know it did later but not at this time). On my setup NVDA was overbought and at +MPD so I looked for a Long candidate and AAPL was close to -MPD and was also over sold. The measure of volatily that I use was the same for both at the time so the same position size was appropriate. If these had not been pair traded then losses could easily have been incurred because they oscillated before AAPL gave a clear profit although the position did not show a loss at any time (which is why a pair trade was the best option at the time).

Paul

Thanks Paul for your reply. Just one other thing, did you leave the stops at the the original decided positions and exit the trade manually when it hit the VWAP (for AAPL) or did you trail the stops?

Cheers

Raj

You say above that NVDA was OB and AAPL was OS. I assume based on three timeframe MACCI?

I dont use MTF when considering VWAP trades. I have programmed the VWAP signal to include Macci automatically in a 1 min interval. I am unable to comment specifically on your Macci setup but looking at what you have posted seems similar to what others are doing although I am not sure why you load 5 additional bars ? Have you tried it without ?

Just one other thing, did you leave the stops at the the original decided positions and exit the trade manually when it hit the VWAP (for AAPL) or did you trail the stops

In this case the close is taken at VWAP on AAPL (although it was a few cents short of that).

Paul

Trader333 said:
I dont use MTF when considering VWAP trades. I have programmed the VWAP signal to include Macci automatically in a 1 min interval. I am unable to comment specifically on your Macci setup but looking at what you have posted seems similar to what others are doing although I am not sure why you load 5 additional bars ? Have you tried it without ?

In this case the close is taken at VWAP on AAPL (although it was a few cents short of that).

Paul

Hi Paul,

Do you normally wait for the price to cross over the MPD and come back before you enter the trade or would you enter the trade when the price touches the MPD with the oscillator showing ob/os. Is there any indicator you use to anticipate if the price will slide up/dn the MPD ?

edit- there are times when although the price has hit the mpd + the oscillator indicates o/b (or o/s)and the market is consolidating but the price may still continue upwards (or downwards as the case may be) and hit the stop (3*atr) before turning the other way. I was wondering if there are any other confirmation secondary indicator (s) which might be used before entering the trade.

Cheers!

Raj

Last edited:
The initial signal is triggered when price has gone outside MPD and then come back inside combined with either OB or OS. I would then look for a corresponding stock to trade with similar conditions but in the opposite direction and with similar volatility (if possible). I dont use any other indicators although you could use Level II to optimise entry.

Paul

Trader333 said:
The initial signal is triggered when price has gone outside MPD and then come back inside combined with either OB or OS. I would then look for a corresponding stock to trade with similar conditions but in the opposite direction and with similar volatility (if possible). I dont use any other indicators although you could use Level II to optimise entry.

Paul

Thanks Paul

Raj

Convergence/Divergence

Trader333 said:

Paul

Scenario-

The price has crossed the upper band and is now coming down(for the sake of eg lets assume the upper band)-we have an overbought signal also-the dow is in consolidation phase- but if we see that the stock price on this trading day has been diverging in relation to the dow (ie-no significant drop when the dow has dropped)-in this case is it correct to assume that this stock shows a strength and therefore going short on this stock at this point may not produce results?

Regards

Raj

PS- sorry to those who find the question silly-I shall be grateful to receive replies :)

Last edited:
This is a difficult answer to give in exact terms but what would be a good idea is to see if the stock oscillates when the Dow is in consolidation. That way you have an increased chance that it will oscillate and increases the probability of returning to VWAP. However, any trade can go against you and you must be prepared to exit if it does without question or hesitation.

Paul