GOOG - Long or Short......?!

The googly settling into a nice $5 trading range north of $100……..

Expensive if you’re a pessimist, but damn cheap if you’re an optimist…..

Larry and Sergey laughing all the way to the bank……..

According to company filings, Page sold 482,000 shares at the $85 offering price, and Brin sold 481,000. A quick calculation puts those paydays at about $41 million……..

Clearly a little hasty in view of GOOG’s market performance, but they obviously weren’t taking any chances…….”a bird in the hand” and all that……..

You can do the googly at home:-

The leg spinner’s prize weapon – bowled properly, a googly is almost undetectable.

A googly, or a "wrong'un", is a delivery, which looks like a normal leg spinner but actually turns towards the batsmen, like an off break, rather than away from the bat.

Unlike a normal leg break, a googly is delivered out of the back of the hand, with your wrist 180 degrees to the ground.

It's a very difficult skill to learn, so you'll need plenty of practice in your back garden or in the nets.

Attachments

• GOOG3.gif
    GOOG3.gif
    20.5 KB · Views: 255
  • larry.jpg
    larry.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 523
  • sergey.jpg
    sergey.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 494
zee - the photo's were just after they made their first million$...........

the smiles are now so permanent and wide, they need plastic surgery to keep a straight face........!

plastic surgery...?.....well, at least they can afford it......... :confused:

Would you Adam and Eve it..........?!

Is the Googly ‘Adam and Eve’ing it so soon.............? – still, overall there could still be some upside - $120 predicted apparently (once we get past some downside…… :confused: )

Attachments

• GOOG4.gif
    GOOG4.gif
    19.7 KB · Views: 270
Mutha of all gaps….

The GOOGly still a nice little mover and the ‘founding fathers’ must be sick as seaside donkies that they (reportedly) sold out at $85………..

Huge 'gap up' at the open and gaps get filled in the end, but not today in this case imho….

A pricey, but most tradeable equity….. :p

Attachments

• GOOG5.gif
    GOOG5.gif
    14.6 KB · Views: 217
Is this baby ever going to run out of steam ?

Could be the mother of all shorts when it does.

Have you seen all the pre market activity in Google.There's a nice gap coming on the open.

Attachments

• goog4.gif
    goog4.gif
    31.3 KB · Views: 285
That nice Google gap set up the Internets for some great moves.
Short e bay with a stop over the high of the day,giving it room to breath.
Out at the close of the day for a $5.70 run.Thats $1140 profit for someone trading as little as 200 shares.
The initial info was here on this thread before the market opened in my previous post.

Attachments

• ebay6.gif
    ebay6.gif
    26 KB · Views: 278
  • ebay9.gif
    ebay9.gif
    27.3 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
"The initial info was here on this thread before the market opened in my previous post."

And it was a very welcome post m8 ;) Many thanks.

A couple of them a week will do me very nicely. :LOL:

You're welcome,

Nice to hear from you again Options.

Naz,
An absolutely blinding trade! My guess is that many shorts would have covered around the $100 mark? This area provided the previous day's high and the point at which the gap up from the open was filled. I imagine that the 2 bull candles around 10.10 / 10.15 would have hit many trailing stops and, presumably, seen a number of traders initiating long positions? To weather a $0.70 cent plus retracement back up to $100.70 shows great skill; nerves of steel - or both! Any comments on your thinking at the time and what kept you in the trade at this point would be very welcome!
Cheers,
Tim.

Last edited:
Hi Tim

While Naz formulates a reply, I can offer my own views on the trade.

Now I know how Naz hunts down and trades after spending a pleasant day with him while he ran through the intricies of L2. And I know how he would have picked e bay for his trade. But I can't give any of this away for obvious reasons. But for me picking e bay was just a question of going through the charts and choosing a candidate. Not a lot of charts to go through in any case after the warning about the internet co's.

Why e bay?

The previous day was spent mostly going up I can see a 5 wave count a few different ways. Very nice gap up to a solid number so more probability of it reversing. But still not 100% certain. You never are though are you?
My entry was on the second red bar after it failed to take out the high of the previous bar and succeeded in taking out the low of the first bar. Stop was at the high of the second bar.

"My guess is that many shorts would have covered around the $100 mark? This area provided the previous day's high and the point at which the gap up from the open was filled."

Take a look at the chart again. The gap was not filled until a Little while later. And then it was filled by a very strong down bar that continued through with the next bar.

"I imagine that the 2 bull candles around 10.10 / 10.15 would have hit many trailing stops and, presumably, seen a number of traders initiating long positions? "

The 2 bars you speak of make (in my view) a perfect 123.

The top of the 1st green bar the no 1.
Bottom of the 2nd green bar the no2.
Top of the 3rd bar the no3
Failure of the next bar to take out the high of the 3rd bar was the entry point for another short.

In fact there are quite a few 123 and 1,2's all the way down.

I had actually turned that trade off and was concentrating on a currency trade that was constantly going wrong by having my stops run all the time. Very nice when I turned the trade back on.

Hi Options,
Cheers for your input. I take your point about the 1-2-3's, although you've lost me re. the point at which the gap is filled. :confused: As I see it, this occurred with the 10.05am candle? The timing of this is especially significant as (I'm sure you're well aware) reversals are commonplace around 10.00am in the U.S. Therefore, I still assert that this, combined with the two green candles, would have prompted many shorts to cover their positions.
"I had actually turned that trade off and was concentrating on a currency trade that was constantly going wrong by having my stops run all the time. Very nice when I turned the trade back on". Very nice indeed! :LOL: - all the way to the bank!
Tim.

Ahh yes, I can see where you are coming from Tim, and a lot of traders would have done exactly what you say and tried to beat the market before it had a chance to tell everyone where it was really going. You do get a lot of reversals at that time. It is a great pity though that very few things in trading are written in stone. Wouldn't we all be making bundles of money!
But for me where the big green bars have formed they didn't break out of the down trend. ( for me I want to see a close on a bar outside of the trend and then a close above (or below) that one.

I will try to attach naz's chart with some annotations, apologies in advance if it gets messed up.

It is a good thing that we all see things differently. If we didn't we wouldn't have any markets to trade!

Bears must be eyeing the GOOG hungrily now, but it’s not ready to lie down just yet – still intent on giving $180 a thorough test………

But when the selling starts in earnest, it’s gonna create an avalanche imho…...

Plenty of large gaps to fill under…….... :cheesy:

ps - one can't help remembering the 'founding fathers' selling out at $85 - perhaps they should have used a decent search engine to check out their own prospects..... :LOL:

Some bulls are still looking north though......

"With falling long-term interest rates, growth managers again want to overestimate the value of growth. Yahoo!, eBay and Google keep delivering. The market recognizes there's no reason Google should stop here; look out, $250"........... :-0

Attachments

• GOOG6.gif
    GOOG6.gif
    20.7 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Massive supportive volume to open the session, but no new price high today, and a bear triangle developing over the session – is the GOOG getting ready to do some serious gap filling……?!

I suspect that it’s only a matter of time now…… ;)

Attachments

• GOOG7.gif
    GOOG7.gif
    29 KB · Views: 231
Check out SINA today and related stocks.
Here's the chart from the post market activity.

Attachments

• sina1.gif
    sina1.gif
    23.3 KB · Views: 216