• It's a commodity

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • It's a currency

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • other

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters
Welcome to the Twilight zone.

Now the Swiss want to devalue their currency.

Great idea. Take the one thing that every Swiss citizen is in possession of, that their assets are denominated in, and destroy its value.
Are you a Swiss citizen? Do you know what CHF at current levels means to the Swiss?

Really? Have you actually experienced that first hand?

No, but I've experienced a weak currency first hand so maybe I can just reverse the consequences of that scenario and give an answer?

But seriously, tell me why a strong Franc is a bad thing and for whom.

No, but I've experienced a weak currency first hand so maybe I can just reverse the consequences of that scenario and give an answer?

Well, how about I give you an example... I used to go skiing in Switzerland pretty much every year. Guess what I have not done for the past couple of winters? It's ridiculously expensive and, while I love it, I don't love it that much. And this isn't just me doing that. Now what happens to all those nice people I used to pay for my lodging, food etc?

And I have also experienced a very weak currency. In fact, I have experienced a non-convertible currency and I am still alive and kicking.

Well, how about I give you an example... I used to go skiing in Switzerland pretty much every year. Guess what I have not done for the past couple of winters? It's ridiculously expensive and, while I love it, I don't love it that much. And this isn't just me doing that. Now what happens to all those nice people I used to pay for my lodging, food etc?

And I have also experienced a very weak currency. In fact, I have experienced a non-convertible currency and I am still alive and kicking.

Too right. I used to have a Rolex but now I can't even afford a Swatch... :(

I'm switching to a Casio... :)

Modern economists think it's good that the citizens of a country are impoverished by having to pay more for their food and energy. They don't understand that the citizens of the country now have less to spend on discretionary items...Modern economists peddle their idiotic inflationist propaganda while behind your back they are buying gold...two faced hypocrites! Only in an Orwellian world..:rolleyes:

How many travel groups have gone into admisistration in the UK over the last 12 months?

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1052&pagetype=87

How many travel groups have gone into admisistration in the UK over the last 12 months?

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1052&pagetype=87

Hahahaha you're too funny NT. Those companies failed because they couldn't cut the mustard during the bad times. How long can you stay afloat if you just whack fees on top of services carried out by others? Especially when pickings are so thin.
"Phone a deal" lol. WTF kind of model is that for 2011?

Hahahaha you're too funny NT. Those companies failed because they couldn't cut the mustard during the bad times. How long can you stay afloat if you just whack fees on top of services carried out by others? Especially when pickings are so thin.
"Phone a deal" lol. WTF kind of model is that for 2011?

It's during the 'bad' times that the UK ramped up Q.E...so much for boosting spending. Those companies failed like they should have. How many other companies that should fail in the same way (Otherwise known as malinvestments) are being supported by the UK Central Bank policies?

Last edited:
Boost spending because aggregate demand, debt and consumption are the only things modern economists understand. They haven’t got the foggiest idea about supply side economics and free market capitalism. England is a pitiful welfare state.

Hi guys,

Now that all the bad news is out there... Anybody thinking of shorting gold - as I am... :whistling

I'm not sure but my rough targets of 1600-1650 (161% extension from last December) have well been exceeded. Will reflect on this and consider a short with a big stop at these levels. :rolleyes:

Any views especially technical ones would be much appreciated. (y)

Hi guys,

Now that all the bad news is out there... Anybody thinking of shorting gold - as I am... :whistling

I'm not sure but my rough targets of 1600-1650 (161% extension from last December) have well been exceeded. Will reflect on this and consider a short with a big stop at these levels. :rolleyes:

Any views especially technical ones would be much appreciated. (y)

Hi Atilla,

It looks like your forecast on shorting gold was correct ( atleast for the very short term anyway )
As a beginner the past couple of days have been a complete eye opener for me. With the price of gold going up so rapidly and then down very quickly this afternoon I feel a bit dizzy. It also seems many other stocks/indices have fallen rather drastically.

May I ask what gave you the idea to short Gold?

Hi Atilla,

It looks like your forecast on shorting gold was correct ( atleast for the very short term anyway )
As a beginner the past couple of days have been a complete eye opener for me. With the price of gold going up so rapidly and then down very quickly this afternoon I feel a bit dizzy. It also seems many other stocks/indices have fallen rather drastically.

May I ask what gave you the idea to short Gold?

Because from last Dec 2010 - 1600-1650 was approx 161% extension of the Fibonacci extension. I set this as my target.

Markets don't move in straight lines so a pull back is to be expected. I thought 1670 was high enough.

Text book technical analysis. I'm trying to avoid news noise as much as possible and simply trade on TA.

PS I didn't take the short I should add. Thinking about it still.

Because from last Dec 2010 - 1600-1650 was approx 161% extension of the Fibonacci extension. I set this as my target.

Markets don't move in straight lines so a pull back is to be expected. I thought 1670 was high enough.

Text book technical analysis. I'm trying to avoid news noise as much as possible and simply trade on TA.

Cheers :)

Still yet to look into fibonacci, I think I shall do that next. Good to see your trading solely on TA. This is what I plan to do, at first anyway. I feel trying to learn FA at the moment will be way to much for me.
Although I was long on gold through FA I suppose :confused:

After the downgrade of US debt, China has called on US to do something about defending its reserve currency or some kind of an alternative global reserve currency should be considered.

In the absence of any common ground or concensus between countries - gold is likely to be strong candidate.

I can't see gold coming off much from recent highs and more likely to continue in its upward trend over these periods of uncertainty.

I always wondered what you would do once the gold price hit your fibonacci level and needless to say, you did absolutely nothing. So what is the point of using them?

I always wondered what you would do once the gold price hit your fibonacci level and needless to say, you did absolutely nothing. So what is the point of using them?

They provide guidance and targets.

In a fluid dynamic world as trading and price movements - to reappraise market situation and manage trades is one continuous cycle.

Right now I'm trying to gauge where gold is likely to go next but not sure on new target.

So do you have any targets or are you either long or short and that's it. How do you determine entry and exits - be interested to know? (y)