Getting 'Red Flagged'

With scalping there seems to be two types one is the American one, where you do countless trades going for 1 or 2 points and the more refined British one fewer trades where you aim ....

American type , British type what the hell u r talking about ?! sorry to burst your bubble but this isn't precisely accurate ....

Wasn't the original idea of scalping to trade actually within the spread? Certainly can't do that with SB, where scalping seems to mean any trade that's closed for a profit in less than an hour.

tar - I really don't think any thread predicated on scalping using an SB is going to get overly worried about accuracy.

As an aside and I guess primarily aimed at Doomberg – do you really have any idea what scalping is?

I’ll tell you what I think you think scalping is. I think you think scalping is when you take an outright directional trade and exit after a few pips (or equiv) for no particular reason other than you’ve made a few pips profit. Am I close?

Any broker is simply going to LOVE a retail player who thinks they are scalping. Half for you – half for them – until you run out of cash. LOL.

As retail trader you have absolutely no facility whatsoever to even access liquidity, volatility or order flow data, much less manipulate or control it. Exactly how do you plan on working the spread through an SB platform? You don’t have any facility to make the number of trades you’d need to make in any given time frame, with the speed of execution you’d need, with the size to make it worthwhile or the cost structure to make it in any way commercially viable.

Retail trades have some advantages over pro traders.

Pro traders have some advantages over retail traders.

Each class operates very differently.

Recognise what your advantages are and trade to those advantages – not away from them.

Doomberg (especially as it’s your thread), but many other trading butterflies like you, stop flitting from one half-assed trading idea to another. Go back to basics. Understand where you are in relation to everyone else. Trade. Make money.

FMG…

yeah its a piss take, other day i got a 20pt spike in a matter of seconds and my account locked for 3 mins

(just enough time for it to go back down) :mad:

If you are appy with 20 points (which I am), why not put a limit order on it.?

I didn't realise Spreadbetting is making it deliberately harder? But i may lack understanding due to lack of experience... Whats the best way in doing quick trades for a profit? Even with Forex brokers the minimum is about 1.6 spread so not sure why everyone says SB is that bad, Im currently setting up a new business so im not going to have 10k for a while for a 'proper trading' account, and from what i have researched even a proper trading account would work out with costs the equivalent of more than a 1pt spread? As i said im a newbie to this type of trading, even my successful bank share trades, they were all done on a SB platform :eek:

Whats the next step? Whilst keeping outlays as low as possible?

Cheers

If you are setting up a business you are not going to have time for scalping. We have a family business and I know that my kids do not have time to sit and scalp. I'm retired and have my mornings free but prefer to keep my trades to one, if I can. It's not often that I get it right so I cut them and try again but, in any case, I'm out of the market by 1430, latest.

I happen to like this but some businessmen prefer trading longer term. There was someone on here who organised her trades before she went to work. There is more than one way to skin a cat but I believe that scalping, for you, could be the wrong one.

Unless you like to go to work twitching, that is! :D

tar - I really don't think any thread predicated on scalping using an SB is going to get overly worried about accuracy.

As an aside and I guess primarily aimed at Doomberg – do you really have any idea what scalping is?

I’ll tell you what I think you think scalping is. I think you think scalping is when you take an outright directional trade and exit after a few pips (or equiv) for no particular reason other than you’ve made a few pips profit. Am I close?

Any broker is simply going to LOVE a retail player who thinks they are scalping. Half for you – half for them – until you run out of cash. LOL.

As retail trader you have absolutely no facility whatsoever to even access liquidity, volatility or order flow data, much less manipulate or control it. Exactly how do you plan on working the spread through an SB platform? You don’t have any facility to make the number of trades you’d need to make in any given time frame, with the speed of execution you’d need, with the size to make it worthwhile or the cost structure to make it in any way commercially viable.

Retail trades have some advantages over pro traders.

Pro traders have some advantages over retail traders.

Each class operates very differently.

Recognise what your advantages are and trade to those advantages – not away from them.

Doomberg (especially as it’s your thread), but many other trading butterflies like you, stop flitting from one half-assed trading idea to another. Go back to basics. Understand where you are in relation to everyone else. Trade. Make money.

FMG…

Hi, yeah scalping for me personally means 1 to 5 mins and 2 to 10 pips... but im aware that some scalpers may have trades open for a few hours at a time, as i said im new to all this, im not saying 'scalping is the do all and end all' but it does seem very interesting to me, as well as the longer term stuff

If you are setting up a business you are not going to have time for scalping. We have a family business and I know that my kids do not have time to sit and scalp. I'm retired and have my mornings free but prefer to keep my trades to one, if I can. It's not often that I get it right so I cut them and try again but, in any case, I'm out of the market by 1430, latest.

I happen to like this but some businessmen prefer trading longer term. There was someone on here who organised her trades before she went to work. There is more than one way to skin a cat but I believe that scalping, for you, could be the wrong one.

Unless you like to go to work twitching, that is! :D

Yeah im not saying that im gonna sit there scalping all day, never said that.... i do have interests in all areas of trading, although scalping can make money despite everyone thinking its a 'trading crime' :D

"Everyone" doesn't think it a crime anymore than walking across Finchley Road blindfolded is a crime. It isn't prudent, that's all.

Yeah im not saying that im gonna sit there scalping all day, never said that.... i do have interests in all areas of trading, although scalping can make money despite everyone thinking its a 'trading crime' :D

Well for the avoidance of doubt call it what it is ; day trading off lower time frames, lose the scalping tag. As I pointed out to you in post 3 you are not scalping and I told you as much last week on another thread...

Listen I'm as head strong as they come but when I came into trading full time I humbly accepted that I knew fook all, I know a little bit more than fook all now..a little bit more. You really need to open your closed mind and start listening to v.good advice such as Bramble has offered up.

Hi, yeah scalping for me personally means 1 to 5 mins and 2 to 10 pips... but im aware that some scalpers may have trades open for a few hours at a time, as i said im new to all this, im not saying 'scalping is the do all and end all' but it does seem very interesting to me, as well as the longer term stuff
Water off a duck's back with you really isn't it...everything. LOL