George Soros Trading method...

dominationFX

Hi. I first learned about FX when Soros made the headlines here in London in 1991. Does anybody know how this Hungarian immigrant made 8.6 Billion dollars? Serious question. It is very hard to get info on him. He failed in equities and gold arbitrage, then launched Quantum Fund with Jim Rogers. Soros lost 2.5 Billion Dollars in the TMT crash of 1999-2001, blah blah...
Anyway, what I specifically want to know is how he chooses his trades, what TA he uses and perhaps the role luck plays in all this? Soros is probably the best trader ever - notwithstanding his prosecutions in Paris and Budapest for rigging their stock markets. Has he been less than honest?

I never got the impression that TA was a big part of what Soros did. He seems to be more about developing fundamentally driven expectations.

You really, and I mean really, want to read the Alchemy of Finance. George Soro's looks for reflexive processes because he believes the market in naturally out of equilibrium and isolates around disequilibrium which is why traditional fundamental analysis and technical analysis fail. He also talks about his mistakes and why he made them and gives case studies.
The Alchemy of Finance by George Soros
George Soros theory of reflexivity sounds stupid on wikipedia because I am positive its not really fully understood yet but if you read his book, which is pretty complicated, you will come to notice that this cuts deep into governing dynamics. It's a theory which may eventually replace efficient market hypothesis.

Thanks. I think the Soros book is going to be waaaay too hard for me though..LOL. Even though some say he has been less than honest, he must still know stuff that we can learn from. If he wasnt a trading recluse, that is...
You really, and I mean really, want to read the Alchemy of Finance. George Soro's looks for reflexive processes because he believes the market in naturally out of equilibrium and isolates around disequilibrium which is why traditional fundamental analysis and technical analysis fail. He also talks about his mistakes and why he made them and gives case studies.
George Soros theory of reflexivity sounds stupid on wikipedia because I am positive its not really fully understood yet but if you read his book, which is pretty complicated, you will come to notice that this cuts deep into governing dynamics. It's a theory which may eventually replace efficient market hypothesis.

You're never going to find out how he trades because he'll have no real method, ie he won't be a buyer when the 5 day ma crosses the 20.

George Soros isn't a technical analyst why are you applying technical analysis to him.

He called technical analysis at one point a "utter waste of time."

As for his method -- it's got to be parity based and partly just psychological because he looks for interactions between the supply and demand curve to determine future expectations based on present expectations.

Last edited:
George Soros isn't a technical analyst why are you applying technical analysis to him.

He called technical analysis at one point a "utter waste of time."

As for his method -- it's got to be parity based and partly just psychological because he looks for interactions between the supply and demand curve to determine future expectations based on present expectations.

It was supposed to be humour.

Only a complete idiot would think that Soros uses a simple 20/5 day MA crossover system.

Anyway, I bet Soros is actually a big user of technical analysis as are most other successful traders that discount it and think it's useless.

Why? Well, if you don't know the reason you've got a lot to learn......

The connection between the participants' thinking and the situation
in which they participate can be broken up into two functional
relationships. I call the participants' efforts to understand
the situation the cognitive or passive function and the impact of
their thinking on the real world the participating or active function In the cognitive function, the participants' perceptions depend
on the situation; in the participating function, the situation
is influenced by the participants' perceptions. It can be seen that
the two functions work in opposite directions: in the cognitive
function the independent variable is the situation; in the participating
function it is the participants' thinking.

y = f (x) cognitive function
x = ϕ(y) participating function
Therefore,
y = f [ϕ (y)]
x = ϕ [f (x) ]

When both functions operate at the same time, they interfere
with each other. Functions need an independent variable in order
to produce a determinate result, but in this case the independent
variable of one function is the dependent variable of the other.

I mean... there is the basic misconception which governs much of security analysis as well as market analysis. Figure out how to make money with that using a chart and some lines and I'll be surprised.

Last edited:

Awesome. I might have to get this. Do you think it is still a good read if you don't grasp all the concepts? Some of it may be beyond me but I'd like to try.

I think he uses 500 EMA... and if it doesn't work, he moves the market with his billions... till it works :)

Everyone successful uses TA or price action analysis of some sort, even if they don't look at charts..

Hi. I first learned about FX when Soros made the headlines here in London in 1991. Does anybody know how this Hungarian immigrant made 8.6 Billion dollars? Serious question. It is very hard to get info on him. He failed in equities and gold arbitrage, then launched Quantum Fund with Jim Rogers. Soros lost 2.5 Billion Dollars in the TMT crash of 1999-2001, blah blah...
Anyway, what I specifically want to know is how he chooses his trades, what TA he uses and perhaps the role luck plays in all this? Soros is probably the best trader ever - notwithstanding his prosecutions in Paris and Budapest for rigging their stock markets. Has he been less than honest?

Is that the GBP crisis, when Britain left the snake, that you mean? George Soros made 8.6 billiom , like you said. I believe that this was a no brainer because I happened to be lying in bed with back problems, listening to the the radio at the time. You'd be surprised at how quickly my back cured enough for me to get to the telephone!

The question I asked myself was "Why should I be in pounds, with all this aggro, when I could be in German marks?" I rang up and did the change two hours before the pound left the snake.

Such is how fortunes are made. I did not have a fortune. Just a few thousand in a currency account. The next day I was very pleased that my savings were in marks and not pounds.

George Soros, Buffet, Rogers and all the rest, have massive office staff researching all this. Do not try to emulate these people because you cannot. Just listen to the news and get lucky!

Is that the GBP crisis, when Britain left the snake, that you mean? George Soros made 8.6 billiom , like you said. I believe that this was a no brainer because I happened to be lying in bed with back problems, listening to the the radio at the time. You'd be surprised at how quickly my back cured enough for me to get to the telephone!

soros made his decisions based on his back problems according to his son, so maybe you have the true soros method

soros made his decisions based on his back problems according to his son, so maybe you have the true soros method

No. I can assure you that my system was, definitely, one off! :D

Nevertheless, I am a believer in luck. If I had not had the radio on all day, while flat on my back, I would not have been listening to the news.

Then, again, what decision would you have made about oil, just before the Egyptian crisis? If I had been interested, I would have, probably, bought on the news.