General Sports Chit Chat

Yeah, Rocky Balboa was amazing....used to get beaten to a pulp and then roar back to win.

He had his last fight when he was in his 60's didn't he ?

Makes George Foreman look a bit pathetic.

True. Floyd Mayweather decided to retire at 28 cos there was no-one else to beat. I reckon Naz could have done a few superfights - maybe 1 or 2 more and retired a legend. As it was, he'll be remembered as a disappointment.

Yes.
This extract probably summarises what is required to be a true great/legend -
Naseem Hamed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Former fighters and boxing purists also question any right he has to greatness. Following the loss to Barrera he failed to take advantage of a return clause in the fight contract.[11] It is argued that for a fighter to be considered great he must at least try to hunt down those who have beaten him to obtain a rematch. Fighters such as Thomas Hearns chasing down Ray Leonard, Shane Mosley chasing down both Vernon Forrest and Winky Wright, and also Lennox Lewis ensuring that Hasim Rahman and Oliver McCall gave rematches immediately are examples of behaviour befitting a fighter who believes he is still the best.[12] Following the loss to Barrera, Hamed, his confidence apparently shattered since he didn't want to fight Barrera on a rematch, he faded from view. Respected British boxing pundit Steve Bunce stated on the March 15, 2008 edition of BBC panel show Fighting Talk that Hamed was the greatest British boxer of all time, in his opinion.

Though i don't think its possible to say that he didnt want a rematch as his confidence was shattered, thats reading a bit far into it for me.

Last edited:
Muhammed Ali was also never afraid to fight those who beat him.

In fact he wasn't afraid of anybody or anything including a white 1960's American government.

He was truly a brave and a great man and still is.

Muhammed Ali was also never afraid to fight those who beat him.

In fact he wasn't afraid of anybody or anything including a white 1960's American government.

He was truly a brave and a great man and still is.

Probably too brave :(

Shame - I could see Holyfield going that way too.

On the basis that England play well about once every 25 years you don't need to be that old.

I think the England football teams players (and all other sports come to think of it) are a group of fine young athletes, who work hard in a dedicated fashion, sacrifice many things including privacy/freedom, they fly all over Europe all of the time, risk assaults from rival "fans" (on & off the pitch), thefts, etc. These are the creme de la creme of people in terms of ability & character who come through the junior ranks of football to the very top in the UK.

Sure, they get paid millions, and they get to retire early & live the life of Riley if they so wish. But this is not until after they retire, and so while they're still playing they are highly dedicated professionals with little annual leave per year, and so just like the rest of us have little time to enjoy their fortunes.
But most of them don't want to sit around after retirement. Most of them want to keep busy & occupied and not just degenerate into a layabout. Therefore they go into coaching, or run their own academy etc.

However, i also found Tim Sherwoods comments interesting. He said 70% of them would quit international football if they could, if Fabio was to do a hands up vote in the dressing room. You can't really blame them in many ways as unless they win a trophy they are alwaysgoing to be losers, and cop media/fan abuse etc. At least by retiring from international soccer they'd have more time to spend in Haryvey nicholls.....

Bullsh1te

:LOL: Sweeping generalisation J but I get your point. I remember reading one of them chav-rags you get free in London last week, and saw pictures of Beckham's kid's 6th birthday party, and the celebrity crowd that madame Beckham had gathered. Conspicuous by his absence was daddy Beckham, because he was training with the squad for the Andorra match. I don't know many jobs that would keep me from my daughter's birthday party!

I'm at a loss for words.

I didn't realise the depth of hero-worship for these arseh-les was so profound.

Are you guys gay groupies or something ?

I'm being semi serious, thats all. I realise some of them will be (and will have always been) selfish arrogant ******s on the sly....But a young chap like Theo Walcott genuinely strikes me as being a good person :clap:

I'm at a loss for words.

I didn't realise the depth of hero-worship for these arseh-les was so profound.

Are you guys gay groupies or something ?

You're just jealous!

Sociopaths must find it hard build relationships :cool:

I had an inkling you were being somewhat sarcastic.

I totally agree with you about Theo Walcott.

Saw him being interviewed today and he came a cross as a nice, level-headed modest guy.

I hope his success continues....credit must be given to Arsenic Wenger for nurturing him slowly and keeping his feet on the ground. This guy could make Rooney look pretty ordinary.

I'm being semi serious, thats all. I realise some of them will be (and will have always been) selfish arrogant ******s on the sly....But a young chap like Theo Walcott genuinely strikes me as being a good person :clap:

Spoke to a guy in the pub when watching the match. He lives in Southampton, and his daughter grew up with Walcott. Reckons he's got his head screwed on. Whis is probably just as well, because a youngster playing for Arsene Wenger could be at risk of getting something else screwed on if they're not lucky :p

(I'm a spurs fan - sorry couldn't resist!)

Spoke to a guy in the pub when watching the match. He lives in Southampton, and his daughter grew up with Walcott. Reckons he's got his head screwed on. Whis is probably just as well, because a youngster playing for Arsene Wenger could be at risk of getting something else screwed on if they're not lucky :p

(I'm a spurs fan - sorry couldn't resist!)

One of my mates got his photo taken with Theo in an airport. Theo was game for a laugh, posing as my mate wanted him to, as he was basically.