General Discussions on TT

Hi Steve-a very valid point but that worry dissappears if the position sizing is correct and if one can apply G1's cyclic theory then it appears to be very effective-for me I find that with Swing trading taking care of the (relatively) steady money flow, I can take much better intraday decisions...

Best wishes.

Raj

Tradestation 2000 stability problems

Hi all
Just lately I have been having stability problems with TS2000 (SP5), Globalserver and Metaserver. i.e. multiple freezes during market hours.
I haven't changed any hardware or software and there's plenty of power and memory in the PC
I wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences - and has any solutions.
Cheers
Glenn

Hi all
Just lately I have been having stability problems with TS2000 (SP5), Globalserver and Metaserver. i.e. multiple freezes during market hours.
I haven't changed any hardware or software and there's plenty of power and memory in the PC
I wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences - and has any solutions.
Cheers
Glenn

Hi Glenn

Hope you are well. Just to let you know that I the only time I experience such problems is if a) I forget to do Nightly Maintenance for a while or b) I do a history download and don't reboot my PC afterwards. Other than that (touch wood) its fine.

Cheers

Steve

PS. Forgot to say use TS2Ki, Globalserver and Hyperserver 3.0

Last edited:
Hi Glenn,

I have had no issues at all and the platform has been completely stable but then I do use hyperserver.

Paul

Hi Glenn,

I have had no issues at all and the platform has been completely stable but then I do use hyperserver.

Paul

i've had prob's with IB and hyerserver freezing up. i have to log off and log on again???

glen

i've had prob's with IB and hyerserver freezing up. i have to log off and log on again???

glen

Thanks guys

Steve - Interesting that you re-boot after a history download. Is that supposed to be part of the procedure ? If you do that during market hours you must lose a bit of data for every symbol while the PC boots up again (?).

Glen - I would imagine that you have not got many symbols or indicators going yet, and yet you are having problems already. If they are (only) with IB and Hyperserver then they are probably different to what's happening here.

Paul - good that you have no problems. I don't mind changing to Hyperserver if necessary, but what is odd is that the instability has only recently started and even significantly reducing the number of symbols and radars makes no difference.

Are you there Iraj ? A couple of years ago you reported having similar problems during market hours and having to re-boot to get things going again. Did you find a solution ?

Just had Exception code C0000005 ACCESS VIOLATION in ts32.exe. Globalserver froze.

For want of anything better at the moment I'll do a defrag and disk check.

Ho hum :)
Thanks again guys.
Does anyone else have problems ?
Glenn

This is certainly curious as I have never had problems with TS on any pc that I have used it on which is 4 in total since 2001. The only things that I make sure I do is to run nightly maintenance and I regularly defrag my pc using Diskeeper professional. I have deliberately partitioned my drive and all programs are on the separate partition but I don't see how any of these things would prevent me having the problems others are having. The only other thing i have done is to turn off almost all the start up items that are loaded by Windows if I have determined they are not needed. So compared to most people I have a low number of processes running and I wont use any of the Norton programs that come with Windows as it takes up so much resource as to be a real nuisance.

Paul

This is certainly curious as I have never had problems with TS on any pc that I have used it on which is 4 in total since 2001. The only things that I make sure I do is to run nightly maintenance and I regularly defrag my pc using Diskeeper professional. I have deliberately partitioned my drive and all programs are on the separate partition but I don't see how any of these things would prevent me having the problems others are having. The only other thing i have done is to turn off almost all the start up items that are loaded by Windows if I have determined they are not needed. So compared to most people I have a low number of processes running and I wont use any of the Norton programs that come with Windows as it takes up so much resource as to be a real nuisance.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I'll change things one at a time and see what (if anything) makes a difference. Just done a defrag for starters.
Glenn

Defrag made no difference. Had 4-5 freezes yesterday. Activity was very high on one cpu core.
By successively removing things from charts and radars, the most difference to cpu used was when I took out the things using globalvariable, so I'll operate without it next week and see what happens.

Incidentally, for anyone with multiple-core CPU's, you might find the following links of interest. They describe ways of force-allocating specific programs to specific CPU cores and thereby spreading the load.

CPU Affinity Made Easy - TechEnclave
Home
Launch n Set- Program launcher with CPU Affinity settings

I haven't tried any of them yet, but intend to.

Glenn

Thanks for the links Glenn, this kind of information is always useful in my view.

Paul

Thanks guys

Steve - Interesting that you re-boot after a history download. Is that supposed to be part of the procedure ? If you do that during market hours you must lose a bit of data for every symbol while the PC boots up again (?).

Glen - I would imagine that you have not got many symbols or indicators going yet, and yet you are having problems already. If they are (only) with IB and Hyperserver then they are probably different to what's happening here.

Paul - good that you have no problems. I don't mind changing to Hyperserver if necessary, but what is odd is that the instability has only recently started and even significantly reducing the number of symbols and radars makes no difference.

Are you there Iraj ? A couple of years ago you reported having similar problems during market hours and having to re-boot to get things going again. Did you find a solution ?

Just had Exception code C0000005 ACCESS VIOLATION in ts32.exe. Globalserver froze.

For want of anything better at the moment I'll do a defrag and disk check.

Ho hum :)
Thanks again guys.
Does anyone else have problems ?
Glenn

Glenn,

Yes I too have had problem with TS but only during the busy time,, Saying that I am using couple of heavily coded algorithms for swing and scalping which puts a huge pressure on CPU. ON Thursday I had three freezes which made a mess of all my MACCI settings.

Grey1

Glenn,

Yes I too have had problem with TS but only during the busy time,, Saying that I am using couple of heavily coded algorithms for swing and scalping which puts a huge pressure on CPU. ON Thursday I had three freezes which made a mess of all my MACCI settings.

Grey1

Not good eh.
After numerous attempts to find the problem I've decided to do a clean re-install.
I have two Workspaces, from which I deleted all Radars.
However when I click on Window to see what each Workspace contains, they both have Radar Screens listed !
If I click on them they simply don't appear and must therefore be corrupted.

The following link takes you to a useful .pdf file which describes the many things that can go wrong, and how to fix them. Worth bookmarking imo.
As regards a re-install, the Author says "I’ve done this hundreds of times." !!

www.jurikres.com/down/TS2ki_repairs.pdf

FIngers crossed :D
Glenn

Not good eh.
After numerous attempts to find the problem I've decided to do a clean re-install.
I have two Workspaces, from which I deleted all Radars.
However when I click on Window to see what each Workspace contains, they both have Radar Screens listed !
If I click on them they simply don't appear and must therefore be corrupted.

The following link takes you to a useful .pdf file which describes the many things that can go wrong, and how to fix them. Worth bookmarking imo.
As regards a re-install, the Author says "I’ve done this hundreds of times." !!

www.jurikres.com/down/TS2ki_repairs.pdf

FIngers crossed :D
Glenn

also havin prob's might try this also

thanks
glen

also havin prob's might try this also

thanks
glen

Re-install complete. Seems ok but have to wait til data start coming in !
Old data is still there ok.
For the corrupt Worskpaces I could have tried deleting them and setting them up again - too late now, but it's another option when things freeze.

Glenn

For the corrupt Worskpaces I could have tried deleting them and setting them up again - too late now, but it's another option when things freeze.

Glenn

glenn,

think i will try this, but if these prob's keep happening, must concider new ver on of TS and pay the money(noooooooo!)

see how it pans out

glen

MACCI for sale ?

On a different topic, I wonder if this is what it seems ? It looks familiar somehow.
(Brought to my attention by a friend)

TTWMacciT3 Trading website

Single License (1 computer) US $ 495
Two Licenses (2 computers) US $845
Three Licenses (3 computers) US $ 1.090

The limits of +/- 250 are different to what we use, but CCI itself can have such a range, so perhaps it's just a different number of periods and/or a different moving average.

Glenn

Update

Glenn

New information for anyone interested:
Problem didn't go away after the clean re-install of the software.
E-mailed Metaserver to see if they had any suggestions.
They report that other users are having similar problems with multi-cpu PC's (with more than two cores) and the way to fix the problem is to set the Affinity for Server.exe (Globalserver) to one core only and the same for ts32.exe.
To do this, go into Task Manager - Processes - right-click on the program - choose Set Affinity and then choose which core to use for that program.
Apparently it's ok for the two programs to run on separate cores. We'll see. I'll report back in a day or so.
Glenn

Glenn,

Do you know if this is specifically for PC's with more than two cores or could it happen to dual core as well ?

Paul

Glenn,

Do you know if this is specifically for PC's with more than two cores or could it happen to dual core as well ?

Paul

Hi Paul
The message I received was "I have got similar problem from other user. It looks like TradeStation has troubles in running on more than 2-CPUs computers."
i.e. not definite regarding 2 cores. I guess no-one with 2 cores has reported a problem to Metaserver.
Presumably people with 2 cores can use the Affinity just the same if they are having problems.
Glenn

On a different topic, I wonder if this is what it seems ? It looks familiar somehow.
(Brought to my attention by a friend)

TTWMacciT3 Trading website

Single License (1 computer) US $ 495
Two Licenses (2 computers) US $845
Three Licenses (3 computers) US $ 1.090

The limits of +/- 250 are different to what we use, but CCI itself can have such a range, so perhaps it's just a different number of periods and/or a different moving average.

Glenn

they stole Grey1's ideas :( !?!