Gareth's Strategy 3 Journal

Grey1 said:
Keep testing the strategy for next month or so and let people know ur un biased results . No back testing ....just pure real time trading...........

See you all on 6 December for a get to gether

grey1

Grey1, Its on the 9th December.

samtron said:
Grey1, Its on the 9th December.

I am going to the Manchester united Match on the 6th and some how I got the date wrong ..It just show you what beer can do to my brain .. yeah I meant to say the 9th lol

garethb said:
Lively start to the holidays

I think that's me done 'till next week. Avoid any pre holiday euphoria losing me money. Happy thanksgiving everyone particularly NasTrader and any other Americans - go easy on the Turkey guys.

Gareth
Thanks Gareth.

Had a great Thanksgiving with family over & I did eat too much Turkey – LOL.
Hopefully you and everyone of Grays’s Technical Traders had a Happy Thanksgiving weekend as well.

Nas

Last edited:
9:53 OS signal started. Watched for a break above prior bar whilst watching COST and KSS. Market has just kept dropping. Now INDU <-50 also my candidate long stocks have fallen quite hard with the market so will pass on this signal

Not a good morning (so far ) for S3, just one signal but fortunately entry criteria not met,
Market declines strongly for 40 minutes, and then consolidates in a tight range for 40 :cool:

What we need is a good trend following strategy for mornings like this :eek:
anyway sorry to interrupt I'll carry on sitting on hands now :)

samtron said:
Not a good morning (so far ) for S3, just one signal but fortunately entry criteria not met,
Market declines strongly for 40 minutes, and then consolidates in a tight range for 40 :cool:

P/L so far this morning = 0

I've had worse mornings!!

9:43 L 500 klac 50.67

Sell 200 51.01 partial exhaustion 84/80/117
sell 300 50.67 trailing stop -just before taking off again!

P/L +$58

Last edited:
15:23 OB signal

S 1000 SNDK @44.69

stopped 400 @ 44.81
covered 600 @44.79 before close

P/l -128

Last edited:
samtron said:
Hi Samtron,

I agree that we do need to ID a Trending Market as well as a Consolidating one.

We are all aware that the markets will oscillate no matter what kind of market we are in, whether it’s Trending, Oscillating, or in Consolidation. It’s just that a Trending or even in an Oscillating Market the MACCI oscillates with less amplitude, and continues to be O/S or O/B over and over again.

I’ve had success in using a 5-Min Chart (with 5, 10 & 20EMA’s) as a confirmation indicator to identify if the market is in a Trend.

See the attached 5-Min chart (in MS Word) for Monday (Nov, 27th), which show's a “strong down trend” for practically the whole day. Notice that the 20EMA was rarely broken, while the 10EMA was violated a few times. Also the MACCI was continuously O/S throughout the trading day.

As for consolidation, I have only found the use of the market’s range, which can be seen in a chart as a narrow range, is suspect. When you see this, check the Range and compare it to its ATR(14) which for the Dow is currently = 84.8. For example today (Tuesday), between 13:40 and 14:10 (ET) the Dow’s Range was “16.”

Nas

Attachments

• Trend Market, 11-27-06.doc
    56 KB · Views: 28
garethb said:
15:23 OB signal

S 1000 SNDK @44.69/QUOTE]
Hi Garethb,

Tough day today after yesterday’s down trend.

I’d like to offer a suggestion to aid entries as confirmations of MACCI being O/B or O/S in the direction of the market. I watched your SNDK O/B signal at 15:23, and decided to reply to your post, as it seems that additional confirmation for DOW’s direction may be required At least this is what I’ve started to use for the last two days.

I’ve added an indicator to my platform with my MACCI’s as confirmation for the direction of the Dow, since this is where I find myself making errors in not always confirming the Dow’s direction.

This indicator is the use of EMA’s. I’ve been using this for the last two days, and so far seems to be a good tool. The confirmation indicator is ( using a 5-Min Chart, but mainly in my Alert Table ):

If 5EMA > 10EMA > 20EMA/5-Min, then this is True, then market direction is up.
If 5EMA < 10EMA < 20EMA/5-Min, then this is True, then market direction is down.

See attached 5-Min Chart, which confirms what I've stated above.

Note, I'm still experimenting with this method, since it does violate quick reaction to price moves, but on the other hand this seems to be a good confirmation method. I haven't tried using a 3-Min versus the 5-Min EMA's yet, but I don't recommend using 1-Min EMA's.

That’s it,

Nas

Attachments

• Trend Market, 11-28-06.doc
    55 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thanks Nastrader

I haven't yet done an analysis across all my trades to see whether incorporating ema's would have increased my profit. I'm not a great fan of moving averages in general but anything which improves profit is of interest.

One of my problems in the past has been that after a loss I try to look for some condition which would have prevented me from taking the losing trade. If I cut a winner short and it goes to the moon without me I look for another condition to change and I find myself trying to trade based on the last couple of trades. The next day is never quite like the last two trades but I end up not knowing what works and what doesn't. As a result I am now reluctant to add indicators without performing some kind of backtest analysis over a good sample of trades.

At the moment my results indicate that my performance is weakest after about 13:00 ET. My overall simplest and most effective rule over the last few weeks would have been not to trade after 13:00 (actually after 13:12 would have been best but that would be curve fitting I think!). I have had a small number of rather good trades in the afternoon however so I am trying to analyse what set of conditions might help me.

It would be great to hear how your performance with "strategy 3 plus emas" has worked out over longer period of time.

Thanks, as ever, for the input

Best regards

Gareth

edit

I've now looked back at all my trades back to 13th Nov. Using the 5,10, 20 ema's would have kept me out of all the losing trades. Also would have kept me out of all the profitable ones too. It may work for you as I think you use longer term MACCI settings than me. I would have thought it might work better with longer timeframe emas (perhaps a 30 min or 60 min chart) to determine trend with short term MACCIs for oscillation within the trend but I'm going to stick with what I've got for the time being.

Last edited:
It would be great to hear how your performance with "strategy 3 plus emas" has worked out over longer period of time. Thanks said:

I agree about your caution to not add any additional indicators without back testing over many trades. No issue here, like I said I just started experimenting by using the 3 EMA’s as a market direction confirmation tool since Monday. But I do know that I did needed an indicator to confirm the market’s direction, since I myself have entered trades based on MACCI oscillations while the market didn’t turn in the O/B-S direction, but rather continue in its trend. Similar to your last SNDK trade.

A few weeks ago is when I first noticed the 3 EMA’s potential use on a 5-Min Chart as confirming the market’s direction, after I noticed the market continued to Trend upwards, while the MACCI’s triggered to go short, which provided a conflicting alert.

So this past Monday, I added it to my Market Alert Engine ( a table with 3 TF MACCI’s, and other indicators such as the 3EMA’s, Day’s Hi/Low Hit Indicator [ only if hit, otherwise blank ], Greater or Lower than previous day’s close [ just a Sym color code, Red or Green ]. My Market Alert system in MS Word is attached, which I’m continually working on to improve. I made two screen captures, one at 13:37, and another at 15:52, they both showed divergent conditions for no trades. I should have made a screen capture at 14:30 when Long conditions were green (go Long), where the 5EMA crossed, and 10-Min MACCI was < -100 although the 5-Min MACCI was losing its strength, I just don’t have the exact data since the time passed.

So far utilizing Strategy 3 and my use of these 3 EMA’s has keep me from entering at times when the market didn’t follow the MACCI’s oscillation, and has prevented me from overtrading. Currently I have limited success with this method since I’ve only practiced with this system for 3 days, although it has kept me from wrong direction entries. It’s possible that the 5-Min TF may be too long to allow entries, but I’m still experimenting and am planning to see if shorter EMA’s would improve the markets direction confirmations. I also agree with your last comment, that it has also prevented some entries, so again I’ll work finding a happy medium.

I do commend you for your posted entries based upon S3 concept, were I can look at the O/B-S condition & see if the market is also following in the same direction (since this is what I've been doing to enhance my trading). It is much easier to critique than to post a trade. Your suggestion of using a larger TF for a trend following sounds interesting, haven't checked that yet.

Nas

Attachments

• Market MACCI - Alert, 11-29-06.xls
    15.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of posting yesterday. Over enthusiastic housekeeping of my PC required me to remember my t2w password while the market was open which was beyond me as I haven't typed it in for months.

I didn't post at the beginning of this week that I raised my risk amount for position sizing to $200. Did this on Monday (although no trade 'till Tuesday)

Another rather poor day yesterday

9:52 S SNDK 600 44.07 average.
Catalogue of errors. Tried to get in cheaply at the ask @44.12. Was a bit slow entering the order and got a tiny fill. Chased it downwards. In the end I was in for 44.07 average but the problem was I was fighting to get into the position when I should perhaps have been thinking of taking some profit off the table quickly. Market did dip a bit but was in an uptrend overall and I took stops/trailing stops over the next 15 minutes. Should have closed out sooner but because of stupidity on entering the trade I seemed to find it hard to accept the loss early. Hanging on I think in the hope that the market would cover up for me, which of course it would not! Mind closed itself to seeing trend continuation in the $INDU.

300 @ 44.20
200 @ 44.34
100 @44.36

P/L -$134

Not all trades will be winners and Strategy 3 will sometimes put me into trades where the trend continues but I am supposed to read $INDU dispassionately and get out. Had I not messed up the entry I might have taken some profits early and perhaps been flat overall, but where I am really annoyed is that I did not accept the loser quickly and dump it. Having said that I took stops as per the plan so didn't let it run to a dissaster.

13:17 L 1200 VLO
sell 600 @ 54.87
sell 600 @ 54.72 market moved down again

P/L +6

Frustrating day today

Data feed of Tradestation problems for about an hour in late morning session caused me to have to pass on good OB signal and possibly missed an OS signal. Now getting OB signals on breakout from lunchtime range. I've decided not to trade these type of signals and no good weak stocks with reasonable volatility on my list so no trades so far today.

OS Signal @ 10:08

10:10 L 700 KSS @ 69.83

sell 300 @69.98 mkt broke local low
sell 400 @ 69.95 mkt broke down strongly

P/L +79

another OS signal @ 10:34 but INDU <-50 and no strong stocks so no trade

11:52 OB Signal

S 900 joyg @42.79

covered 42.85 - mkt made new high

P/L -$72

12:02 OB again

S500 RIMM @135.10
covered 200 @134.70 Partial exhaustion -115/-75/-31
trailing stop 300 134.80

P/l + $154 Gave a huge amount back to the market - trying to let it run in what looked like a weak market still counting $ after a difficult week. Must let each trade stand on it's own merits independently of what has gone before.

Last edited:
Made a few errors during the couse of last week which I can see were due to not being relaxed and confident in positions together with the negative effects of a bad start to the week. I am reducing the risk anount for position sizing back to $150. If I still make errors I will revert to paper for a while to regain control.

Gareth

10:03 OB signal

S 200 RIMM 134.22

out 100 133.72
trailing stop 134.60

P/L +8

Sat and watched as it hit exhaustion (approx -85/-105/-105 ) then came off to rally. Follow the exit rules.

Last edited:
OS Signal 12:08

12:15 L 700 ESRX @ 70.84

Sell 300 @ 70.98 - Weak divergence but stock and mkt moving ahead so just scale out 1 min position
Sell 200 @70.00 Another weak divergence and stock volatility dropped so scale out a bit more. Hold some as market moving up slowly.
Mkt looks like retracing a bit and stock has not moved up so close remainder 70.92

P/L +$76

Last edited: