Best Thread FXCM Discussion

FXCM Open House 2015 – Try Our Best Trading Tools for Free

FXCM is hosting an Open House for a limited time so that you can test our best products and resources for yourself with no commitment at all. We want you to see the advantages of being with FXCM, and we’re going to do that by letting you test-drive our most popular trading resources for yourself.

For a limited time you will have access to:

FXCM Apps: This limited-time access period includes $500 in App Store credit for FXCM-created applications, strategies and programs at the FXCMApps store. You can use this store credit right now.​

Premium products from DailyFX including:

360° Course: The 360° program is a full educational curriculum that emphasizes ‘probability-based trading’ using data from the DailyFX Traits of Successful Traders research series. The course includes a curriculum that teaches traders to simplify fundamental and technical analysis while keeping an eye on the all-important factor of risk management.

DailyFX on Demand – The Ultimate Trading Room: This includes access to four market sessions per day covering the most active periods in the market which an analyst, instructor or strategist will cover economic announcements, data prints and price movements as they happen. DailyFX on Demand also includes access to Real-time SSI and bank research through the live sessions.

DailyFX PLUS: This is the client portal for DailyFX.com where we offer our On-Demand video course, The Live Classroom and the DailyFX PLUS Trading Signals. This portion of the website has grown massively in recent years, and can bring value to traders in a multitude of different ways.

Visit DailyFX.com for details on how to access these trading tools for free.

Greece Bailout Outcome May Impact Your Trading

Attention Traders

As pressure builds up in the eurozone to reach a deal to solve the ongoing crisis over Greece's bailout, the currency markets may face a significant impact today and through the weekend, and as such we recommend you take protective measures.

HOW COULD THIS IMPACT YOUR TRADING?

We believe there is a chance of disruption and highly illiquid conditions in the European forex market and a risk of the markets opening on Sunday, February 22, at a significantly different level from the close today.

When trading resumes following a major news event, price movements commonly have gaps—that is, currencies trade at prices considerably distant from previous levels. To manage your risk against any potentially disrupted market conditions, we recommend you take the following precautions:

• Reduce the size of any open EUR positions in order to free additional margin
    [*]Increase your account balance to add available margin:
    Visit MyFXCM.com to deposit funds

FXCM dual Spreads

Peculiarity of FXCM MT4 dual spreads

Two Ask and two Bid (two for the price of one !)

• 1st Ask: Gray top solid line corresponds to chart default Ask. Proof: The color of this line can be changed from → Properties (F8) → Colors → Ask Line.
  • 1st Bid: Gray bottom solid line corresponds to chart default Bid. Proof: The color of this line can be changed from → Properties (F8) → Colors → Grid.
  • The Red Candle confirms Bid at bottom solid line. ***
  • 2nd Ask: Green upper dash-line corresponds to the order panel BUY and is mapped by an indicator added to the chart. *
  • 2nd Bid: Red lower dash-line corresponds to the order panel SELL and is mapped by an indicator added to the chart. *
  • An additional indicator confirms the order panel BUY and SELL and corresponding spread. **

The hash-lines correspond to commission spread and solid lines to old non-commission spread. Spread Lines indicator can be used to map commission Ask/Bid lines - see ↓↓.

* Free here - Spread Lines - https://www.mql5.com/en/code/12482
** Free here - Ask Bid Spread - https://www.mql5.com/en/code/10680
*** Free here - MA Colored Candles - https://www.mql5.com/en/code/10791

Attachments

• FXCM - Spreads - 3.PNG
    FXCM - Spreads - 3.PNG
    14.1 KB · Views: 528
Peculiarity of FXCM MT4 dual spreads

Two Ask and two Bid (two for the price of one !)

• 1st Ask: Gray top solid line corresponds to chart default Ask. Proof: The color of this line can be changed from → Properties (F8) → Colors → Ask Line.
  • 1st Bid: Gray bottom solid line corresponds to chart default Bid. Proof: The color of this line can be changed from → Properties (F8) → Colors → Grid.
  • The Red Candle confirms Bid at bottom solid line. ***
  • 2nd Ask: Green upper dash-line corresponds to the order panel BUY and is mapped by an indicator added to the chart. *
  • 2nd Bid: Red lower dash-line corresponds to the order panel SELL and is mapped by an indicator added to the chart. *
  • An additional indicator confirms the order panel BUY and SELL and corresponding spread. **

The hash-lines correspond to commission spread and solid lines to old non-commission spread. Spread Lines indicator can be used to map commission Ask/Bid lines - see ↓↓.

The Bid and Ask prices you see in your Market Watch window are the prices available to you for trading. You are trading on our new super-tight spread + commission pricing, more details here.

The MT4 charts still show our old pricing because some clients on these servers have not yet been upgraded to the new pricing, since it is being rolled out on a region by region basis. MT4 servers can only show one price feed at a time. Many of our clients are still on our old pricing, so we have not been able to update the MT4 chart price feed yet. We are working on a solution and I will post an update here once it is available.

It's worth noting that your MT4 login details will also allow you to access the Trading Station platform and charts which already reflect the new pricing available to you.

For newbies: The Market Watch window (Ctrl+M) will reflect the same Ask and Bid as Order Panel and Order Window (F9).

Trading Hours for Start of Daylight Savings Time in the US

Hi Everyone,

Daylight Savings Time will start in the US on Sunday, March 8th. That means the trading hours for CFDs that follow US market times will shift by one hour starting next week. I've highlighted the changes below in red.

mBg93Mx.png

Forex Trading Hours

In terms of New York Time, the trading desk will still open at 5pm on Sunday and close at 5pm on Friday as always. However, since New York Time will shift this weekend from GMT-5 to GMT-4, the trading desk hours will also shift by one hour in GMT terms. Starting next week, the trading desk will open at 21:00 GMT on Sunday and close at 21:00 GMT on Friday.​

A special note for all MT4 clients on our New York Close servers

The time zone on our New York Close MT4 servers will change this weekend from GMT+2 to GMT+3. In this way, midnight on your MT4 charts will stay in line with the 5pm New York Close. If you have any EAs or indicators that use a GMT offset, please update them to GMT+3 this weekend.​

FXCM Releases Detailed Data on the SNB Flash Crash

On January 15, 2015, the Swiss National Bank (SNB) caused a flash crash that lead to historic dysfunction never seen before in the FX markets when it announced that it was completely (not gradually) removing the 1.2000 self-imposed floor on the EUR/CHF exchange rate.

FXCM has compiled data points which demonstrate the unprecedented and extreme dysfunction of the FX market on January 15th. For the full recording and presentation please click here.

* January 15 Was A Market Flash Crash - The Institutional FX Market Failed And Did Not Function:
  • No Liquidity - There was almost no available liquidity for approximately 40 minutes
  • Dramatically Low Pricing - External ECN prices went as low as 0.2000 and 0.5000
  • Extreme Spreads - The average spreads of EUR/CHF were more than 2000-3000 pips
  • Extreme Range - The average range of EUR/CHF was 6000 pips.

* The majority of FXCM liquidity providers had stopped quoting prices during this time. Had FXCM's circuit breaks not engaged, the weighted average price of the same orders would have been much lower than the execution price of 1.05, at 0.9760.

* The January 15 flash crash saw the EUR/CHF drop 40% in seconds whereas the 2010 flash crash in the equities market saw about 9% drop in the Dow Jones Industrial Average over the course of a few minutes.

* The market data show that the losses on January 15 were not the result of FXCM technology or FXCM margin requirements, but rather due to the extreme market dysfunction resulting from the SNB's irresponsible and unforeseen announcement to completely remove the 1.2000 EUR/CHF floor.

* In light of the reckless actions of the SNB, FXCM has since ceased offering any currencies which carry significant risk due to potential manipulation by their respective governments either by a floor, ceiling, peg, or band.​

We announced last week that we anticipate that with the proceeds from the sale of some non-core assets and continued earnings we can meet both near and long-term obligations of our financing, while preserving the strength of our franchise. It’s widely known and understood that FXCM’s core business has always been retail FX; It is the majority of FXCM’s revenue.

However, over the past few years, the company has spent over $250 million dollars making strategic acquisitions building up our non-core businesses, mainly the institutional side as we tried to diversify the firm. We are now looking to sell some of those non-core assets; But, we are not in a rush and are looking to get the highest valuations for these assets.

We are considering closing or selling smaller regulated entities that require large sums of capital requirements, but that offer increasingly low return on capital. The latter move allows us to free up significant amounts of cash that is currently trapped. We believe that in the near term we can pay down a majority of the loan. That’s our goal.

Today we announced an update related to this:

FXCM Pays Additional $54 Million Owed to Leucadia

Avoids Contingent Financing Fee of $30 Million

NEW YORK, April 2, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- FXCM Inc. (NYSE:FXCM) a leading online provider of foreign exchange (FX) trading and related services, today announced that it has repaid an additional $54 million outstanding under its credit agreement with Leucadia. The payment was funded in part with proceeds from the sale of FXCM Japan. FXCM has now repaid $66 million under the credit agreement, and as of April 1, 2015, FXCM's outstanding Leucadia loan balance is $244 million.

By repaying more than $60 million before April 16, 2015, FXCM has avoided a contingent financing fee of $30 million, and FXCM shareholders stand to benefit from an improved sharing determination of proceeds from future asset sales, dividends and distributions pursuant to the terms of the credit agreement.

"FXCM is pleased with how our debt reduction plan is proceeding," said Drew Niv, CEO of FXCM. "We are ahead of plan and the results of the FXCM Japan sale exceeded our expectations. With all the increased attention to our other properties, we are expecting robust and competitive auctions for the other non-core assets we have targeted to sell."

Read full press release: FXCM Pays Additional $54 Million Owed to Leucadia (NYSE:FXCM)

SjOCUih.png

Below are the CFD holiday trading hours for Easter and ANZAC Day. Forex trading hours remain unchanged, and you can view the holiday rollover interest schedule here: http://bit.ly/14Wwoso

Times below are in GMT
6CJ9td1.png

Last edited:
Hi Jason

I was a US FXCM customer about 12 years ago - but have not tried your UK set up out

Just a quick question for something else I am working on if thats OK

When did the spreadbetting side of your set up in the UK start to advise all spreadbetters to check with a tax adviser etc with regards to do they qualify as tax free status on all their winnings.

Originally all UK spreadbetting companies just told all their customers that it was TAX FREE - but now most of the ones I have checked out have in the small print a small caveat to protect them advising all clients to check out their individual circumstances

Did FXCM UK change their wording after 2009 / 10 - or as it been more recent ??

Thank you

Regards

F

Hi Jason

I was a US FXCM customer about 12 years ago - but have not tried your UK set up out

Just a quick question for something else I am working on if thats OK

When did the spreadbetting side of your set up in the UK start to advise all spreadbetters to check with a tax adviser etc with regards to do they qualify as tax free status on all their winnings.

Originally all UK spreadbetting companies just told all their customers that it was TAX FREE - but now most of the ones I have checked out have in the small print a small caveat to protect them advising all clients to check out their individual circumstances

Did FXCM UK change their wording after 2009 / 10 - or as it been more recent ??

Thank you

Regards

F

Hi Forexmospherian,

While I don't know the timeline of specific updates to language in the trading agreement since 2009, I do know that we have always encouraged traders to consult a tax professional for any advice regarding tax-related questions. That's because we are not tax experts.

Spread betting accounts enjoy special tax-free status for residents of the UK and Ireland. However, the UK tax treatment of your financial betting activities depends on your individual circumstances and may be subject to change in the future, or may differ in other jurisdictions.

Hi Forexmospherian,

While I don't know the timeline of specific updates to language in the trading agreement since 2009, I do know that we have always encouraged traders to consult a tax professional for any advice regarding tax-related questions. That's because we are not tax experts.

Spread betting accounts enjoy special tax-free status for residents of the UK and Ireland. However, the UK tax treatment of your financial betting activities depends on your individual circumstances and may be subject to change in the future, or may differ in other jurisdictions.

Thank you Jason

Regards

F

I wonder why there are different prices between your Trading Station platform, and the MT4 platform? I note on a few occasions different prices of bars OHLC. I only have your demo platform for reference btw.

I should add, I am comparing the BID price in all instances.

Last edited:
I wonder why there are different prices between your Trading Station platform, and the MT4 platform? I note on a few occasions different prices of bars OHLC. I only have your demo platform for reference btw.

Hi Geofract,

Our MT4 charts have not yet been updated to reflect our new lower spreads. However, the Bid and Ask prices in the Market Watch window of MT4 already reflect the new pricing available to you. These are the same prices you will see on Trading Station charts.

Our programmers are in the process of updating the MT4 charts. I'll update you when this solution has been implemented.

Holiday Trading Hours for May

Below are the CFD holiday trading hours for May. Forex trading hours remain unchanged, and you can view the holiday rollover interest schedule here: http://bit.ly/14Wwoso

Times below are in GMT
31QH61a.png

Holiday Trading Hours for June

Below are the CFD holiday trading hours for June. Forex trading hours remain unchanged, and you can view the holiday rollover interest schedule here: http://bit.ly/14Wwoso

X74tzuh.png

Last edited: