FX Platforms

I'd appreciate it if you can tell me some strengths and weaknesses of the ones you mentioned. Thanks

Im pretty new to forex trade, but i find Vtrader (VisualTrader) pretty easy.. And it seems reliable..

Cant really tell u that much good or bad about it, being im new + it´s the only one i tried.

btw, first post in this nice forum :D

Regards

I'm in the process of shifting from Oanda to GFT because Oanda don't have the facility to enter a trade on a stop order. Other than their limited order entry functionality I had no problem with them.

I've been testing GFT for about a week & will go live tomorrow - looks pretty impressive all round. Everything you need is at your fingertips - 2 click order entry/more complex order entry/news/account & order management. They've also got a nifty 'dashboard' facility which allows the whole lot to drop down from the top of your screen when you move the cursor up there, and it then all disappears again when you move away to another program.

The customer service is good so far, but then that's only to be expected since i'm in the process of opening an account!

I also tested Visual Trader, and although it did everything I needed, I found it wasn't easy on the eye - more 'Visually Tiring' than Visual Trader!!

Simon

I keep seeing one-worder Vtrader posts, what are the advantages of Vtrader?

I've also heard good things about GFT's platform. Someone told me they are very protective about giving mroe than one demo accounts. I like FXCMs approach, they allow you to register as many demo accounts as you like. This way you get to open the account after analyzing everything about the platform and execution.

turtle trader said:
I'm in the process of shifting from Oanda to GFT because Oanda don't have the facility to enter a trade on a stop order. Other than their limited order entry functionality I had no problem with them.

Are you nuts? :eek: You CAN enter a trade on a stop order with Oanda. Just set your buy price above mkt or your sell price below market! (It's only CALLED a LIMIT order, it can be a limit entry or stop entry depending on what price you order relative to current market price).
Good trading. ;)

I'm only as nuts as the Oanda representative who confirmed to me that they don't accept stop entry orders and have no plans to introduce them in the near future.

I've actually just tested this with Oanda & it does indeed seem to accept the order (although really it must place a limit order once your stop price has been hit, so you won't always get filled - and it seems strange that the Oanda rep didn't mention it). Having used both platforms, although Oanda has served me well enough so far, GFTs is streets ahead, so whatever the situation with order types, i'm happy with the switch.

Simon

turtle trader said:
I'm only as nuts as the Oanda representative who confirmed to me that they don't accept stop entry orders and have no plans to introduce them in the near future.
Well, they call them limit orders. Strange, but one can get used to it. :confused:

turtle trader said:
I've actually just tested this with Oanda & it does indeed seem to accept the order (although really it must place a limit order once your stop price has been hit, so you won't always get filled - and it seems strange that the Oanda rep didn't mention it).
I can hardly believe you didn't try it earlier - to set an order to buy above mkt or sell below... :rolleyes:

turtle trader said:
Having used both platforms, although Oanda has served me well enough so far, GFTs is streets ahead, so whatever the situation with order types, i'm happy with the switch.
I think you'll soon discover what e.g. instant fills or the possibility to attach stops& limits to separate trades meant to you. Maybe your trading style doesn't need 'em. Be well anyway.

P.S. I'm in no way related to Oanda other than being their client.

turtle trader said:
I've actually just tested this with Oanda & it does indeed seem to accept the order (although really it must place a limit order once your stop price has been hit, so you won't always get filled - and it seems strange that the Oanda rep didn't mention it).

BTW, can you rephrase the text in brackets? I have no idea what you're talking about. :eek:

MW

I did try to place a stop order in the way you describe months ago, and it wouldn't accept it. It didn't occur to me to keep trying.

With regards to the text in brackets - i'll try to explain:

A stop order is a market order once a price has been reached - it does not gaurantee that you will get the price specified, but you will definitely get filled.

If a limit order is dealt it will definitely be dealt at the specified price, but if the market doesn't trade at your price then you won't get filled.

What this order must be is a 'Stop Limit' order:
A 'Stop Limit' order will place a limit order once the stop price has been reached - if the market trades straight through this limit price then you won't get filled.

I know most FX brokers gaurantee that stop orders will get filled with zero slippage (to be honest I can't remember if Oanda is one of them), but this is not a normal stop order.

I really don't know how well this order works, but the fact that Oanda themselves don't think it's a stop order makes me uncomfortable about it.

As i've said Oanda have been fine, but for this one exception, and depending on your trading style many people won't use this type of order. I've still got the account so if GFT don't work out I can always switch back - it's no big deal.

Simon

Email [email protected] Wes Newman is my manager and gives superb support. Ask him to send you a Dealbook training account and he will set you up as well if you send your telephone number.

Dealbook has the best charts, a good range of studies, a free data feed and free analytics as well as news, as long as you trade every few weeks, otherwise they chrge $100 if you just use them as your charting package.

Dealbook leaves all the others in the shade. I use IG for spreads.

Phil

win2trade said:
Hello,

Can anyone recommend some solid trading platforms with a lot of useful features? :|

Is anyone familiar with Global Trader?

It seems to have the best currencies futures spread 5-6 points compared to the spreadbet companies.

I like to testdrive their trading platform but it requires phone number. I don't want any salesman to talk me into something I'm not ready for, I like to take my time to try a platform, find out as much as I can, see if it is suitable, before I buy. I can take a long time.

Last edited: