ForexMorningTrade System

Yay! My First Post!!

Hi Guys, Well I got set up yesterday and today I tested that the EA actually worked - or rather that I hadn't done something daft in the settings!!!

All went well but due to being Good Friday and not wanting to start my EA Demo off on a potential loss...I got out at +0.9pips lol

However my first test went according to the set up, correct SL/T/P and start time...so for me the +0.9 pips is a bonus! :)

Thanks for all the great advice on here!
Will start my demo properly on Tuesday before moving to Live Account within a couple of weeks!
P.S. Is there a good spreadbetting UK company I can start a live micro account with? Want to start small until I get the ahng of Live Markets!

Yay! My First Post!!

Hi Guys, Well I got set up yesterday and today I tested that the EA actually worked - or rather that I hadn't done something daft in the settings!!!

All went well but due to being Good Friday and not wanting to start my EA Demo off on a potential loss...I got out at +0.9pips lol

However my first test went according to the set up, correct SL/T/P and start time...so for me the +0.9 pips is a bonus! :)

Will start my demo properly on Tuesday before moving to Live Account within a couple of weeks!
P.S. Is there a good spreadbetting UK company I can start a live micro account with? Want to start small until I get the ahng of Live Markets!

Hi Pipperella, Smart Live Markets is the only one that uses the Meta Trader platform. I have been using them live for about four months and have found them fair. They are not huge and have had a couple of issues (eg they have been using Barclays feed which is well known for bad ticks which can play havoc, although they told me they were moving to another data platform?) but if you want tax free that's all there is!

Good Luck.

Chris

Yay! My First Post!!

Hi Pipperella, Hello any welcome aboard, At the moment Smart Live Markets are the only spreadbetting company in the UK offering MT4 - You can deposit as little as £20 with them and set your risk accordingly.

All the best :)

Yay! My First Post!!

Hi Pipperella

Welcome.

Some members are using SLM, they are a spreadbetting UK company that uses MT4. Check it out, it may be what you are looking for. :D

M

Edit- It seems like I'm repeating what others are saying. :)

Last edited:
For those that don't know, Good Friday is not a Bank Holiday in the US. So volume should pick up soon. Personally, I think the US banks like to start trading at 3am ET (8am UK time). ;)

The trade this morning is like watching paint dry - Think I may get out if there is no move by 9am, sure the wife has a to do list that I can crack on with... :D

Hi Pod,

Post 6348 Feb 20th from Chris Heath was good reply, although I've still not had time to do it myself yet - post content copied below.

Re: ForexMorningTrade journal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remraf
A lot of posts seem to revolve around the ability to do backtesting looking for the Holy Grail - is this a dark art only performed by the chosen few - or can anyone have a go at it? - I'd be pleased to be enlightened, as long as it doesn't involve a) Being exceptionally clever, or b) too much time on my hands!
Time for bed

Its basically quite straightforward. This may appear daunting, but its really not difficult.
Once you have it setup, you can quickly test an EA with varying parameters.

Make sure you EA is loaded into MT4. On the chart go into 'View' , at the top, then 'Strategy Tester'. A window opens up below the chart(which you can enlarge, if you want).
Now you can choose your EA, the symbol, timeframe, model accuracy, (Control points for quick, inaccurate test, Every tick for slower, more accurate test).
'Use date' allows you to choose the date range for backtesting. Visual mode allows you to see the trades as they occur on the unfolding chart, but its SLOW.
'Expert properties' shows you the options for the EA, 'Testing' shows initial deposit, currency, and whether you want to test Long only, Short only, or both. (Optimization, you can play with later). ' Inputs' shows the options for the EA , under 'Value', eg Start Time,Stop Loss, Target etc. Click OK to exit - maybe twice.
Once you've set up your EA parameters, pressing 'Start' will magically run the test. The tabs at the bottom of the Testing window change, and you can see a 'Graph' develop, look at the trade 'Results', and , when test is finished, view the 'Report'. (You can save the 'Report' by right clicking on the Report, and clicking on umm.. 'Save as Report.)

You can view the chart with the trades that occurred by clocking on 'Open Chart'. There's an option to modify the EA, only if you have the source code. (Not for FMT, or TMT.)

Optimizing goes a step further. You can get the Strategy tester to run through a series of numbers, eg Stop Loss from 20pips to say 50 pips in steps of 1, and generate a Report.
To do this, click on 'Expert Properties', 'Inputs'. Go to the parameter you're trying to optimize. If the little box, at the far left is white, you can optimize that parameter. Click on the box, and a tick will appear, and set your optimizing setup by setting 'Start' value, eg 20 for Stop, 'Step' for an increase of 1 (ie pip) each time, and 'Stop' value eg 40 . I would advise only optimizing one parameter to start with.
Click OK to exit.
If you look underneath 'Period' on the main Tester screen, you'll see 'Optimization'. Click on that, a tick appears. Click on 'Start'.
An optimization graph tab appears, and an Optimization Results tabs, which are what they say. (You can 'Save as Report', as before.)

The results generated are different from a non-optimised test, and can indicate the best parameter for the EA.

To learn to use the Strategy Tester, it may be best to run a few non optimized tests, with a small date range ( maybe 2 months) - to get you're feet wet with all the available options, and to get familiar with the results, and what they mean.
You can, of course try the different settings you've seen in the Forum.
If you run lomger tests (say, a year or more), you'll see the length of time it takes.

When you optimize, you'll multiply that time by the number of steps in your optimization. It can be hours for say 3-4 year backtesting, covering a lot of steps. (Unless you have a spare Tianhe-1A computer.)

That is a very brief overview, but should get you going. Then you'll discover the nuances of backtesting on MT4. And quite possibly drive yourself mad. But don't concern yourself with that just yet!

Good luck! Chris

Thanks Remraf and Deserteagle for you replies, I'll give the back-testing a go over the weekend

Yay! My First Post!!

With Spreadbetting the trade lot size differs to normal other forex accounts. As already mentioned you can open an account with very little and when trading you will noitce that placing an order of 0.1 is only risking 10p per pip ( so in effect its the same really as trading microlots).
On SLM (as oppose to STD FX Platforms) --- 0.1 trades 10p, 1.0 trades £1 and 10.00 trades £10 per pip.

For those that don't know, Good Friday is not a Bank Holiday in the US. So volume should pick up soon. Personally, I think the US banks like to start trading at 3am ET (8am UK time). ;)

Looks like you are right, but it's going the wrong way! :(

22nd April
All times Alpari UK

Old FMT settings (40,35,20,5) with Hammy66 timings on live Alpari UK account, result today:
07:15 SL
07:30 SL
07:45 SL

Catfish settings (see #7525) with Hammy66 timings on a demo Alpari UK account, result today:
07:15 SL
07:30 SL
07:45 SL

One for this - GREED. Traded one half usual lots as an experiment on Good Friday.

However, change in live account balance for the whole week +£1,262.

Hi all and a happy Easter!!
I have asked this before, Im curious how You use the TP and SL functions.
Do You use Hide SL and TP? Maybe more slippage?
Do You use Brooker SL and TP? Maybee no slippage but brooker can hunt SL and TP.
I have always used Brooker sl and tp for avoid slippage (hidesl=brookersl in settings).
Im curios about how others do with SL and TP. Do You hide them if its possible?

Regards
Elovv
Hi Elovv, I use broker SL and hidden TP. The reason is simple - the broker SL is pretty reliable, virtually no slippage. But the EA often has trouble making the TP trade quickly enough, so there is often some slippage on the TP. This is usually in my favour.

Glad I broke my own rules and didn't trade today

Me too! - looked a hairy ride, I decided to catch up my sleep:sleep:
Just had a look at my demo accounts SLM @6.30 hit SL with an extra 10pips slip with the spike! and ThinkForex 6.30 and 6.45 hit SL but my 6.15 is still running! all settings are using Hammy's original settings 55/35/25+5

Might miss next week due to hols, depends on WiFi connection. Good luck to those trading!

FMT for me this morning, (45-35-25-5), Forex.Com-UK

due to holiday, I only traded with half lots:

6:15 start, short signal, hit SL -25 (half pips)
6:30 start, short signal, hit SL -25 (half pips)
6:45 start, short signal, hit SL -25 (half pips)

total today -75 (half pips)

weekly total +179 pips..

at 8:00 am. London time the market spiked 55 pips wrong way for us...
otherwise we get BE +5 pips on all 3 start times, one of the hazards of holiday trading.
good reason to go half lots ..
I will do the same on Monday..

happy Easter everyone !..