Forex Taxes

TheWolf

Which taxes do we need to pay? Are there any ways of avoiding it? I am 17 atm and planning on getting a Mini Account (FXCM) on my 18th birthday, so I have never paid any taxes before. I mean some profits e.g. profits from eBay, you don't pay tax right? as that is from the informal sector. The same case with FOREX trading?

I'm not an accountant, but ...

You're allowed £8,200 of capital gains in one year without paying Capital Gains Tax. I _think_ you're also allowed to carry forward any unused allowance for _one_ year.

If you make more capital gains than that (from all and any sources added together, including Forex trading) in any one tax year, you'll have to pay CGT on the excess above that untaxed allowance figure.

I can't remember now whether the £8,200 is last year's or this year's figures, (it increases a bit from year to year) but this should give you an indication anyway. You can always check details on the Inland Revenue's website.

Good luck, and don't forget to do some "demo account" trading before you leap in with real money, even a mini-account!

(If and when the CGT ever becomes an issue for you, you can at the moment avoid it quite legally by doing your Forex trading by spread-betting anyway, which isn't taxable. But at the moment, this presumably won't be relevant to you).

Thanks for your advice! I've been doing a few months of demo-ing, and really enjoying it. :D Im probably starting with a 5K account. A mini-account means I'll have 1:200 leverage. How much leverage do you think it's acceptable to use for a transaction? How about 200k?

Last edited:
TheWolf said:
How much leverage do you think it's acceptable to use for a transaction? How about 200k?
Sorry, I'm no expert at all on leverage, because I do spread-betting myself, which works very differently.

Many people posting here and on other internet forums seem to think that over-leverage is a great problem and is likely to lead to losses. I've _never_ understood this logic, myself, but it's possible that they all know something that I don't.

Speaking for myself, I can't understand why high leverage IN ITSELF increases risk. I suspect that the reason many people say it does is simply that they assume that using high leverage will make people treat it more like gambling, use stops that are too tight, use inappropriate position-sizing or something. To me, the margin rate is only relevant to the amount of dollars the broker requires you to place in the account to initiate a trade, per contract. If you trade one contract, then one pip is worth $10 for GBP/USD, no matter what the margin. So to me it makes NO sense to say that "higher margin equates with higher risk".

I sometimes wonder if people are equating risk to the percentage of their capital that they place on a trade! This is obviously affected by the leverage ratio, but doesn't affect risk calculations based on stop-loss. Not as far as I can understand, anyway.

I can only think that people who say that "higher leverage means higher risk" are just making the mistake of assuming that the trader will be tempted to invest too high a proportion of his capital as margin. If he does this, then it's certainly true that at higher leverage it will disappear more quickly. But they are certainly not saying what they actually mean, if that's what they actually mean! (Mind you, that's quite often the case around here!) :)

Anyway, let's hope others who know more about this than I do will also reply to you!

I know that the problem with high leverage is that when you lose money, you will lose alot more money and your usable margin goes to 0 you go bust on our account. But since I start with a 5k account 1:200 leverage means i have 1 million of usable margin. That's why i think a 200K transaction (20 mini lots) on its own seems pretty safe. But some of my friends that i should stick with 10 mini lots.

You think your going to make enough money in FX to pay tax.....? Ha, thats a good one. hope your daddys rich...
Lets be realistic here...cannon fodder.

GotGold said:
You think your going to make enough money in FX to pay tax.....? Ha, thats a good one. hope your daddys rich...

You'll see.. MWAHAHAHAHA

Remember 90% lose in this game.
To win you'll have to bring something very special to the table.
How are you going to take money from the pro's?
Share your ideas.
As sombody said on this board, its not a stick of rock, its a stick of dynamite and it doesn't care who or what it blows up.

Trade very very small for at least a year, its your only chance otherwise KABOOM!

"go for gold"
The pied piper comes to mind..

Trade very very small for at least a year, its your only chance otherwise: KABOOM!

yes but no need to tell him that he no chance, hes young and wanting to give it a go.. i know its hard.. ive been there , steep learning curve.. but dont knock any young guy that comes on here, which is what seems to happen, and fx seems to be the flavour of the moment, dont u think

Point taken.
But, the guys 17 and knows almost nothing about FX and is talking about £/$200,000 lots on a 5k account.
My words will do him no harm.

That be said GOOD LUCK and if you winning, let us all know.

oki agree with the 200000 lot he is talking about, hes eager, i will guuve him that. i trade max 10000 on each trade, and will do so for some time yet. thats what all should do after a demo success over time, but we cant keep knocking thse young guys down, dont u agree.

Now thats more like it: £/$10,000. Greed is enemy#1.
We all aspire to making steady profits in FX. I don't think it can be done without years of effort and toil.

oh i agree totally with u , greed will only get u to the bottom , but i like to encourage people, u cant tell a 17 year old, he wont listen,, we were all there, but one way to learn is jump in and learn off others.. lets hope he doesnt take out apersonal loan to fund his forex account.. nice chattin to ya gotgold. have a good one

You have to start some point I guess. I am not going live yet, as I am spending another half a year or so doing more research, and carry on trading on my demo account. Thankfully, my dad who is a fund manager - could help me along the way as well. ;) Thanks for your encouragement + advices guys.

and no i dont take out personal loans lol. I don't wanna lose more than what I can afford, esp at this stage.

Last edited:
It'll be ok man

TheWolf said:
You have to start some point I guess. I am not going live yet, as I am spending another half a year or so doing more research, and carry on trading on my demo account. Thankfully, my dad who is a fund manager - could help me along the way as well. ;) Thanks for your encouragement + advices guys.

and no i dont take out personal loans lol. I don't wanna lose more than what I can afford, esp at this stage.

I want to teach you something Wolf.

I want to point this out to everyone also. I am only 19. I'm the straight-A college dropout type. I just couldn't find something that I wanted for a career (I was a kitchen manager; $1125 bi-weekly for a 19 year old is all right, but the 10 hours a day, 6 days a week was not. Also, I love computers, but I hate fixing them for idiots, etc.).

ANYWAY, as I started learning about forex, I began to love it. I mean, like I actually find it fun.Pips are like points to me, winning a game, getting the high score, or losing - the game is still fun. Money for me right now is only an afterthought. It has to be that way.

I started off with a surprisingly good source of information regarding trading strategies. It was very low priced compared to most courses, so much so that I feared it to be "snake oil", but to my literal amazement it was not. I opened a demo account that had $50k to start with. After 2 weeks I had 56.5k. WhaaahT? So I opened a real mini, started off with $350. Lost it all. Put in another $250. Lost it all. Another $150. Lost it all. At this point I realized a couple of things. For one, I didn't really know jack about technical analysis. I had learned to follow the strategies designed by technical analysis though, so in theory I should've been ok. But the problem was, I wasn't following the strategies. Moreso, I didn't have the discipline, I didn't have the patience. Discipline and patience are two super-ultra important factors in trading successfully. Part of my zeal was due to the fact that I worked 60 hours a week - I didn't have time to watch good trades develope, I'd just try to jump in wherever I could in the most rediculously rationalized way, and just hope for something good to happen. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

So then came my first critical revalation. My risk/reward ratio was rediculous. I was putting 15 pip stops on trades I'd hope to make like 6 or 8 pips on. Wtf is that? So I made a rule not to take any trade that didn't have at least a 1.5/1 reward/risk ratio. End Zeal.

Next rule. If, in my very limited time to watch the markets, I only even caught one good trade developing a week, so be it. A little profit is better than loss. End Impatience.

Once I analyze everything and decide its time to enter a trade that seems ideal, I do it (with an entry order, not a market order). I set my reasonable stop, and my limit, and walk away, don't watch it.. unless you are scalping (you are new to trading, don't EVEN worry about what scalping is) End emotion.

If you are aiming for larger trades, such as 80-120 pips (which shouldn't be until you have plenty of equity and some more experience), you should check it a couple times a day. If it raises above a key resistance line (for a -sustained- period of time, not a tag), raise your stop to just below that resistance line, which will hopefully at least be near your open price, for a risk-free trade. There are other things you can do with this, like once you hit 50% of your target, raise your stop to lock in 25% of your targeted profit, and 50% when it hits 75% of your target. Make sure you don't raise your stop so high that you get stopped out during momentum-consolidation.

Read the FA news (ex. the squawk box on the FXCM station). It is not wise to trade against the news. On the other hand, it is clear to me that depending on the news won't get you anywhere either. In the end, technical analysis is stronger. Keeping track of the news can give you a little edge, but most importantly keep you from getting burned. Especially when you don't have a lot of equity to work with. Think of it this way. You can turn on the radio and hear that there is a lot of traffic congestion on the highway by the exit to get onto "main street". BUT, you can figure that out on your own, by considering its 830 in the morning, and the masses of people will probably all be heading to work as usual. Thats technical analysis. But one day you might hear that an 18-wheeler transporting propane has jacknifed across the middle of the highway. Better stay away. Thats what FA news is good for. If a big FA is coming (esp 830 am EST on the 1st friday of every month) you shouldn't have any positions open unless you are sitting there, watching it like a hawk. That particular FA almost always whips at least 50+ pips in both directions, on every USD pair, over the course of minutes. Its a good chance to make good money really fast, but beware. Aside from world-changing events like 9/11 and the tsunami, this is the most likely time your broker will suffer from slippage. Even the best brokers. Also remember, for all those people cashing in big on those huge, hyperfast whips, an equal amount of money is being lost.

MASTER technical analysis. The "basic idea" of an indicator is often far from its ideal usage, or sometimes just plain useless. Us young people are always anxious to learn the general idea as rapidly as possible. This worked fine for me inside the public education system, but I learned the hard way that it is absolutely unacceptable in FOREX. (Tangent: the more indicators you use is not always for the best, as some can help confirm others, and some just create jumble and nonsense, this is something you need to learn) Bollinger bands are a good example of this. The first thing I read about BBs basically said "when a candle tags (closes above) the band, and the second candle closes below the band, the trend will reverse." This is sometimes true, but its actually not what BBs were designed around. After learning a LOT about BBs (and I recommend you do to, IMO they are the best indicator to master, along with their proper accomplice indicators) my response to whoever wrote that "basic idea" would be something like.... dfuighsdfGKLJRWIERNIN!!!IJGIOJER@#!!! Yeah, that. I have to recommend the book "Bollinger on Bollinger Bands". Why not learn a system from the man who invented it. There is nothing better. Read that book. Memorize it. Seriously.

Aside from my recommendation to master the technical analysis yourself instead of just following someone else's system (proven or not), whats absolutely most important is your emotion. Even following a foreign system, you'll be all right if your emotion can be kept in check. Especially regarding money management. In gambling you need to win more than 50% of the time to profit. In FOREX, you can profit even if you're only right 1/3rd of the time. But to do that requires absolute mastery of your impulses. If you're using a system, don't change it on-the-go. Because that means you are acting on impulse. Smarter traders are making money off of people doing things like that.

As for me, I want forex to be my life. Its the first fun way to make money I've ever heard of. After learning what I have, I'm starting to make modest profits instead of throwing out $150 a week. The beauty of forex is the fact that the more you have, the more you can make. DEFINITELY start by only trading 10,000 lots by the way. But even if you can only average 20 pips profit per week, which for you would be a mere $80 a month, it could eventually become $800 a month, and then $8000 a month. Yeah, that would take years. Decades even. But its still better than say, working 20 years for a company, with only $60k/yr to show for it. And its WAAAY better than those jokes of interest rates banks offer in a savings account. Just keep that in mind, even though, IF you can stick with it for a couple years, by then you'll be able to do better than 20 pips a week. We're lucky to have this while we're so young.

I'm now making enough breadcrumbs that I was able to get off my 6 day a week 10 hours a day salaried job. I still work, but at a video store (which was my first ever job), which is somewhat enjoyable for me (esp compared to working in a kitchen) and only about 25 hours a week. With all that extra time to study the markets, maybe in another 6 months I'll be able to modestly live completely off my trading. Maybe in another year or 2 I'll be able to buy my "dream car", a new acura rsx type s, and pay for it in full right then. And maybe, just maybe, 5 or 10 years from now I'll be able to buy one of those nice houses along a not-yet-commercialized beach, and go on vacations pretty much whenever I want. 10 years sounds like a long time. But hey, I won't even be 30 yet. Be patient. Be persistant. We're lucky to be young. Stick with it. I'd like to see how you're doing. If you want, I use AIM, my SN is maverick7h. We can talk anytime. Good luck to you.

And as those foolish network marketers say (those people who work their ***es off with no hope of ever making what a trader can),

Health, wealth, happiness!

- Nick