Forex market times

bangkoker

Ok this should be a simple enough question for someone with experience of the markets.

What currency pairs are busy at what time?

Am I right in thinking that when the London market is open there is most activity? Does this vary for different pairs? i.e GPD/USD, is there a lot of trading during New York session? and would USD/JPY have a lot of activity during the Asian session?

I am just wondering if a different currency pair will be busier in the evening UK time as I would like to follow a few pairs to try a system. Any thought greatly appreciated:smart:

The more regional currencies will naturally be busier during their own timezones (Latam, Scandis, Eastern European, Smaller Asians), but the majors are active round the clock. Yes, London is the highest volume market center. The NY/London overlap is generally the most intense period of the day. Things can get kind of dull in the US afternoon, especially this time of year.

The more regional currencies will naturally be busier during their own timezones (Latam, Scandis, Eastern European, Smaller Asians), but the majors are active round the clock. Yes, London is the highest volume market center. The NY/London overlap is generally the most intense period of the day. Things can get kind of dull in the US afternoon, especially this time of year.

Thanks and good luck:)

London session accounts for 30% of deals struck daily in the Fx market.

Hi guys, in relation to your thread . . .

What is everybody in the UK trading in the morning, or is everyone just waiting for US open (doubtful)?

Cos if most Forex pairings are based with the dollar, then the volatility is likely to be in their session times. no?

the only two pairings open would be the GBP/EUR, but I cant find much info on it

thanks

All yen crosses, GBP crosses and EUR crosses are heavily traded during London session.

The most active sessions are London and New York.
The most active pairs are USD, GBP and Yen crosses.
I always avoid assian markets because of its high umpredictability, you never know how they will behave.

Of course they´re not Mufasa, London session is sometimes more active than New York´s.

The problem with London session is for those of us who live in America, we have to be awake at 1:00 AM if we are waiting for something unusual with London Markets, for those in Europe or Africa all they have to do is to start in the morning and if you feel comfortable with trade also afternoon to get New York´s market..

Nice one Fayalac and Dubai much appreciated.

Yea my ninjatrader does not have them installed as default, it has only USD crosses so I couldnt see what was popular to trade in the morning UK.

What are the standard symbols so I can add these instruments? Yen, GBP & EUR

cheers

The most popular crosses are, as you said, YEN, GBP and EUR.
Good luck Mufasa

cheers for the help

I found out why I could'nt see em, they are all currency futures not spot FX

my account type is futures only