Footsie - analysis, prediction, trading

Maxell

Is it me or is there little or nothing on the net regarding trading the footsie? I would like to understand more about how it plays out, opinions/predictions and analysis of performance etc. Clearly many of you trade this here but is there a single source for this info or maybe this thread could be it!

I look forward to your replies

Hi Maxwell,

There are tens of thousands who follow / Spread bet / buy shares with / in the FTSE. This is just one of many forums on the Internet.

Please be more specific on what you require to best enable you to understand the market.

Yours

UK

Thanks UK for your reply.

I appreciate the fundementals and also the TA with regards to trading the footsie on day trade. However, there appears to be plently of info on both stocks/shares and forex but very little on just the footsie 100 itself.

I guess what I'm looking for is a source of discussion/comment as to a predicted direction on the daily movement. I already note that after an initial move there are frequently pullbacks around 8.30. So in answer to your valid question I'm looking for more traders that study and subsequently trade the index.

Regards

Max

Maxell said:
Thanks UK for your reply.

I appreciate the fundementals and also the TA with regards to trading the footsie on day trade. However, there appears to be plently of info on both stocks/shares and forex but very little on just the footsie 100 itself.

I guess what I'm looking for is a source of discussion/comment as to a predicted direction on the daily movement. I already note that after an initial move there are frequently pullbacks around 8.30. So in answer to your valid question I'm looking for more traders that study and subsequently trade the index.

Regards

Max

Hi Max,

You are quite correct in your observation of 'a lack of open discussion in regards to the FTSE.' In the forums there is only a token amount, but once you have made several comments you may be lucky enough to be invited to join / invited to join various groups which interact via MSN messenger, and the like, where stalwarts of the market, more astute then I, discuss the daily activitys of the market. There is also one within T2W. I don't participate myself due to circumstances, but I highly recommend getting yourself 'known.'

The FTSE is not the most favoured amongst the marketers, as its considered, by some, to be a minor / difficult to predict / low income potential. But I believe if you can master the FTSE, you can predict with a greater degree of certainty any of its 102 listed companies. And besides, if your in the UK it's a good Index to start with.

Wish you well in your trading.

UK

Hi -

If I was starting off I would learn Elliott's Wave - this way you won't need to ask someone what is the market going to do -as you will know

try advfn - its free and you have all the main markets.

For my tuppence - - I still think that the FTSE is going down although we should see a correction- on about Wednesday.

Good Luck

Sean

Hi Seon01,

I've studied Elliott's Wave to a small degree and it has an element of credit, but it's strength lies in long term rather then interday / weekly, also, it favours a strong rising / falling market, but, we are in a neutral market. This week I see a rise, thereafter who knows.

Hard predictions lie ahead.

Good trading.

UK

Thanks for replies. Maybe, indirectly I have started the discussion I was seeking. I will follow with interest.
Cheers
Max

Hi UKhero,

I think that at the end of the day - its what works for you-

Using Elliots wave - I usually go for the 3rd wave or the C wave- as it is the most predictable.- and usually the longest.

ie: If there was a 5 movement down- I would wait the the first leg of the correction - wave A, then the market -should come down in a small three wave movement for wave B. - Then I would buy in

The market should then go up - in a 5 wave movement.- this wave C

My stop would be just under the bottom of of the original 5th movement downwards- Usually only about 5 ticks max . - but the payoff is 5 wave movement upwards.- 20-40 ticks .

This is basically -the way that I (used to) trade.

regards

Sean

Hi there

Like the original poster I have found very little on the FTSE specifically so I have started a website specifically for FTSE speculators - it is still very green but I would appreciate comments. You can find it at http://www.playingftse.com

Cheers

Stephen

JSGlenn said:
Hi there

Like the original poster I have found very little on the FTSE specifically so I have started a website specifically for FTSE speculators - it is still very green but I would appreciate comments. You can find it at http://www.playingftse.com

Cheers

Stephen

Looks like an interesting site with some useful info, will keep an eye on it.
Thanks for the link.

Robin

JSGlenn said:
Hi there

Cheers

Stephen

Hi Stephen, interesting site. By the way, we are also trying to adapt our technology to automatically develop optimal trading strategies for FTSE100. Have a look at our main site http://www.dainty.biz and detailed FTSE100 analysis can be seen by going to http://sc.dainty.biz/ta/welcome.aspx

Drop me an e-mail if you are interested in participating in the development of our technology for this task.

Regards,
David

Maxell said:
Is it me or is there little or nothing on the net regarding trading the footsie? I would like to understand more about how it plays out, opinions/predictions and analysis of performance etc. Clearly many of you trade this here but is there a single source for this info or maybe this thread could be it!

I look forward to your replies

Maxell

ukhero does his daily analysis of ftse, of course

We used to have a ftse thread for each month which was started by bonsai and ran for a couple of years (some make interesting reading if you track them down on uk indices board). When he gave it up some of us tried to keep it going for a while, but the last thread was about a year ago http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=15038&page=1&pp=10. There didn't seem enough interest to keep it alive.

It would certainly be nice if something similar could be re-born - how about you leading it off?

good trading

jon

A lot of the old 'uns have gone to pastures new, yet still keep an eye on things. (Though you wouldn't know it).

I myself have been trading fx exclusively the last few years, but have recently been looking back at the ftse.

It is a slow cousin to the dow of course, but it is more stable. So more predictable?

Only when the dow lets it be so.

Let's try to get a thread going again then.

Mon morn. Ftse to rise from 5732/34. (cmc) Tight 5 point stop. If it hits this and pops back up, jump in again. U need to do this live though. As very often the market see saws before settling on a direction. Don't move stop until you have a resonable profit. Think about taking profit (If any, around 11 o'clock for intra day. Then watch for the usa open and see what they have in mind. Or just leave as is for longer move.

Bp, Exxon etc to fall a bit from here as well?

options said:
A lot of the old 'uns have gone to pastures new, yet still keep an eye on things. (Though you wouldn't know it).

I myself have been trading fx exclusively the last few years, but have recently been looking back at the ftse.

It is a slow cousin to the dow of course, but it is more stable. So more predictable?

Only when the dow lets it be so.

Let's try to get a thread going again then.

Mon morn. Ftse to rise from 5732/34. (cmc) Tight 5 point stop. If it hits this and pops back up, jump in again. U need to do this live though. As very often the market see saws before settling on a direction. Don't move stop until you have a resonable profit. Think about taking profit (If any, around 11 o'clock for intra day. Then watch for the usa open and see what they have in mind. Or just leave as is for longer move.

Bp, Exxon etc to fall a bit from here as well?

What spread do you get with CMC? I've been trading Fins with a 2 point. Had some good wins and then lost the lot. This was over a period of six weeks. Barjon warned me about leaving the comforts of an armchair and share trading. Anyway, does your 5 points include this spread? I've used all sorts of stops, finally tried 20 points with a low cost trade. That didn't work, either. I'm unlikely to go back to trading FTSE but am willing to contribute a little to the thread because of my interest in trying to fnd out what the hell I was doing so wrong!

Split

Here's the chart I'm looking at- as at 1025 CET (an hour ahead of UK) I would not buy below black line.

Split

Attachments

• FTDaily Nov24 at 0924.gif
    FTDaily Nov24 at 0924.gif
    18.5 KB · Views: 265
Splitlink said:
Here's the chart I'm looking at- as at 1025 CET (an hour ahead of UK) I would not buy below black line.

Split
Alright there Split :)

The chart is showing a short signal as of the 17th November with a target entry of 6220 ;)

cheers

don

don_h said:
Alright there Split :)

The chart is showing a short signal as of the 17th November with a target entry of 6220 ;)

cheers

don

;) You can wink!! I wanted that information on the 17th :LOL:

Split

riak said:
Looks like an interesting site with some useful info, will keep an eye on it.
Thanks for the link.

Robin

SCARY... VERY SCARY...

I haven't read your disclaimer but even so...

Based on our analysis we make projections on the next move of the FTSE100 index. On average there are between 2 and 3 projections per week. We do not always get it right, but over time we are correct over 70% of the time. To view all 2006 projections click here.

You are setting your self up ready to be taken to the cleaners.

Unless your claim is accurate that is... :)