First trade ever down over 15%

Sure dude but that's a week's work or less?

You have learned a very cheap lesson, believe me. Doesn't make it pleasant now but what can ya do.

So anyway...

Firstly, I'm very pleased with you that you did get out. That's a hugely positive sign that you have what it takes to succeed... you didn't hang on hoping it came back.

Secondly, what do you intend to do next?

On a positive note, it is down another 2% afterhours..

I will respond a little more indepth to all the comments & questions in a little, have some work to catch up on at the moment. But thank you again for all the help and support, much appreciated

BTW, how much commission did you pay to your broker to buy and sell 1200 shares?

I ask because im hoping the pattern day trading rules kick in to suspend your account, so your broker doesnt eat half your account in commisions.

fook me the fact you had $3k as an 18 year old is great!

Anyway, as others are saying, the way you're going about this is bloody stupid. Forget stocks, for a start.

Thank you! :). Yeah I worked pretty hard between 2 part time jobs while manager my final year of highschool as well, it has been pretty tough but pretty rewarding so far. I decided about 6 months ago that I wanted to buy a g35 coupe in summer 2011, still looking ok, might get pushed back to later in the year but I still really want to get one. As a result I started working very hard and saving toward small goals ($1,000 when your only 18 and have to deal with drinking and other things is harder than you'd believe to hit) but since there it's been going in the right direction steadily. So obviously my risk wasn't assessed very well :whistling

try 10p a pip forex with £250 accounts, after blowing up 30-40 demo accounts as i did!

I'm open to learning all sorts of different thinks, so maybe I will try this!

-------------------------- just on a random unrelated sidenote----------------------

I came accross binary options about a year ago, it looked pretty enticing since there was no "commision" besides the the spread of what you make and what you lose. Regaurdless, I started trading a bit through anyoption since at that time I only had a few hundred dollars to use, more so for fun and I was completely aware it was virtually gambling. I actually ended up developping a decent strategy & trading plan using only binary options that ended up working out pretty well and I was able to grow my account on anyoption, so it is something that I am considering trying again now. I stopped because I needed the money in my account.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations.

You are well on your way to becoming a trader very quickly.

Thanks, at least I am making the mistakes early and (hopefully) will learn from them and benefit myself. I won't give up this quickly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have learned the first of many valuable lessons.

The first is that paper trading is completely different to trading with real money. (Losing real money brings out the sweats and panics).

The next is that penny stocks are volatile. CXZ has moved as much as 75c in a day, so the drop yesterday is nothing out of the ordinary. (You should have known that and a 15% move should be within your tolerance)

The next is that it is not a huge loss. Keep calm, stop sweating and the market may recover the minor loss.

Reply:

I agree, paper trading is much much different from real trading. As previously mentioned playing with play chips in poker is much different then playing for real money. When emotions come into play there is a major change and there are many invaluable lessons that can only be taught in my opinion from doing the real thing. I'm sure many can develop and become successful traders strictly by paper trading but it is something I mentally can't do.

I guess I am lucky in that I only lost 15%. It just seemed pretty alarming to me at the time, I obviously didn't put in research, and it was pretty much a gamble. I realized that after I made the trade that it was stupid and pointless I was just eager to jump in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh by the way liquidate this crap unless you have a good reason to be in a mining penny stock ffs!

reply: Already did, thanks for the input though. Much appreciated!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ooks good. I'm buying too.

Don't make me regret selling at 1.85 now! :LOL:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure dude but that's a week's work or less?

You have learned a very cheap lesson, believe me. Doesn't make it pleasant now but what can ya do.

So anyway...

Firstly, I'm very pleased with you that you did get out. That's a hugely positive sign that you have what it takes to succeed... you didn't hang on hoping it came back.

Secondly, what do you intend to do next?

Reply: I suppose I can make it back in a week, but it really does suck. I will earn probably about $8,000 this year. So if you're making 80 multiply the loss x 10 and that's what it is like. Maybe it isn't a lot, just seemed like it. Pretty frustrating though, especially look at the graph it was almost funny, I bought at $2.11 then within minutes it sank 10%. Kinda hard mentally to get over that, since it was litterly my 3rd trade ever (and first day ever trading)

Thanks, I'm glad I got out when I did too, as I would have been down another 3-4% at where things are standing now. I was going to stay in and chase my profits but then realized that would be an even bigger mistake then jumping in in the first place. Definitely not a good habit to develop.

I have done a lot of thinking between yesterday and today, and I've decided to take it a little more serious and try to actually preserve the money that I have worked hard to save over the last couple months. I've developped some sort of a plan:

I'm going to take half the money and invest it into a mutual fund that is doing well, and hope to get some sort of growth out of that. I'm taking a chunk of it and investing it into some websites through flippa.com with a friend and hoping to see some revenue and growth out of that, I will probably put about $500 into anyoption, and trade using that as it's a little less risky but still exposes me to some sort of trading which I enjoy doing. And then I will do a bit of range/band trading. I'm going to do obviously a bit more research this time and not throw away money into penny stocks. However this is a rough outline of how it will look

$500 - anyoption
$1000 - mutual fund or etf
$1500 - trading
$500 - websites

( I have about $3,500 availible to do this)

As well I will be saving about $1,000 per month ideally through working part time that will contribute to the above mentioned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, how much commission did you pay to your broker to buy and sell 1200 shares?

I ask because im hoping the pattern day trading rules kick in to suspend your account, so your broker doesnt eat half your account in commisions.

I only actually traded 715 shares of cxz, so it was $7.15 in and $7.15 out. I think in total I will owe about $30 in commision fees for the trading I did today, because I did buy into the FAS financial bull as well and then sold that off.

I bought 1000 shares at 2.11 and then another 200 at 2.07.

just a quick look at the one year shows a trend-line suggesting support should have been around 2.30-2.40
It had already fallen below that before you bought, which should have been your first warning signal.
it's crashed through whatever weak excuse for support there may have been.
This is in free-fall pal. Dump it. NOW

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, and your input is appreciated. I did however get out at $1.85 and a sub-$200 loss. Not the end of the world, just frustrating. But I am out.

yes, sorry, i read after I'd posted that you'd already got out.
Congrats on that, at least you didn't try to do a "Spanish" * and hold on through a mega drawdown

* that's a whole other story,

Yeah, the majority of people who I have talked to about it congratulated me on being able to just crystalize the loss rather than stick around trying to catch back up, something that I wans't entirely confident about but seems like it was the best choice afterall! I'll take it as a lesson learned. In fact this has actually made me realize quite a few things and maybe it was something that was needed fundamentally for me. As a result I did a bit of reading and realized that my mentality was totally wrong.

I was thinking more along the lines of staying in trades until they were positive because over time they will always come back - rather than cutting all your small losses to avoid big losses. Contrarily, take small profits because that is key, rather than let profits run. I guess I kind of had that mentality that would have probably screwed me long term and goes against many fundamental rules of trading (from what I have read so far)

feel free to comment / correct me if I am wrong

By the way, for any of those of you who are intersted in the actual stock that I lost on, and the lack of news that there was. I think I have figured out what has happened, I finally found some related articles about it and it turns out a seller "unexpectedly entered the market offering over 800,000 pounds of uranium" which is obviously a substancial amount. This lead to a huge selloff of uranium, and as a result many people who are still up a good amount on the stock probably decided to hop out and take profits. I think that was the big drive behind the drop, and I think after it's big gains over the past couple of months many people are just locking in profits as it continuously slides. Maybe I am completely wrong, but that is to the best of my knowledge, what went on. Despite there being no actual news posted about the stock itself

one final note from me, which will prove controversial amongst 50% of T2W members, and will meet with approval from the other 50% - and I'll try this in my best American accent .......here goes.........

the news don't mean shyt

I only actually traded 715 shares of cxz, so it was $7.15 in and $7.15 out. I think in total I will owe about $30 in commission fees for the trading I did today, because I did buy into the FAS financial bull as well and then sold that off.

I know this going to be the least of your worries at the moment.

But I hope you realize that $30 is 1% of your account, in one day!

A month of trading like that and your broker has taken over 20% of your account.

I dont know if your broker enforces the 25K pattern day trader rule, i dont think they do, but the rule was introduced to protect small accounts like yours from being eaten up in commissions.

You should be aiming to pay at most 1% of your account in commissions a month, so ideally you need an account that is 5, 10 or 20 times what you have at the moment (depends on how often you will be placing trades).

Last edited:
Yeah, I gotta smarten up and watch that a little closer. I guess being new and all I was just eager to trade, and that got in the way of making smart decisions. It will not happen again though, i'm gong to rethink my strategy and keep the fees as low as possible, try and think a little longer term until I have maybe 5k or 10k then maybe revise.

cpaddon,
I'm not quite sure what Howard means, but if you buy a stock which is falling in price then the simple probability is that it will continue to fall, i.e. it is more likely to continue in its strong trend direction than to reverse. Taken strictly in context that does refute your original trade, imho.
Randomness is less probable in a strongly trending stock than in one in a trading range.
Remember however, this is a probability business and there are no certainties in trading.
Richard

I also suggest that you concentrate on always limiting any potential loss, rather than guessing at the possible gain. Decide before you enter a trade on what your maximum loss will be.
By controlling your losses you are controlling the cost of doing business. Do that and enter the most promising situations sensibly and the profits usually take care of themselves if you have a good exit strategy.
Richard

cpaddon,
I'm not quite sure what Howard means, but if you buy a stock which is falling in price then the simple probability is that it will continue to fall, i.e. it is more likely to continue in its strong trend direction than to reverse. Taken strictly in context that does refute your original trade, imho.
Randomness is less probable in a strongly trending stock than in one in a trading range.
Remember however, this is a probability business and there are no certainties in trading.
Richard

My bad. When I looked it up I thought it was not only very low priced, but also thinly traded. Right on low priced, wrong on thinly traded. Low priced stocks are not my area of expertise, so I'll take other's word that the volume is sufficient to make analysis more than a crap shoot.

Irrelevant. It neither confirms nor refutes your trade. Without a strategy, it is a random event.

I'm not disagreeing with you on principle, Howard :) , but random events occur irrespective of an individual's strategy; that's why they are random. The market does not care about individual players, but the inexperienced and uninitiated do get their stops run :LOL:
Richard

I'm not disagreeing with you on principle, Howard :) , but random events occur irrespective of an individual's strategy; that's why they are random. The market does not care about individual players, but the inexperienced and uninitiated do get their stops run :LOL:
Richard

Stops are a part of a strategy. No stops, incompetent strategy.

Stops get run. Control system theory gives insight on how to the compensate for that. Key concept: delay. Stops should nonetheless be used.