Fast & reliable ADSL ISP

clylbw

Hi,

The contract with my current ADSL ISP, Tiscali, has finally come to an end, and I am looking for a new ADSL provider.

Recommendations from personal experience will be much appreciated.

Basically, I am seeking an ADSL provider which is fast and reliable: it should provide ADSL services at a speed of 10 to 20 times faster than the normal dial-up on a reliable basis, i.e. there is stability or connection problem in its service, and its advertised speed should be achievable with an average computer, rather than simply being theoretical.

Please recommend one besides Tiscali; my experience with it is one I do not wish to repeat in my life time.

Thank you.

Very happy with Pipex over the last 18 months, for business and home use. Good pricing, reliable and support when needed has been very good. No problems other than a few glitches with their mail servers in that time. http://www.pipex.com

Freedom to surf (F2S), no connection fee, very reasonably priced, monthly contract. NO issues in 2 years.

ps: came second to ZEN on http://www.adslguide.org.uk .

ps2: I do not work or have any affiliation with f2s...

faz, I'm also with f2s and cannot fault the service. Another benefit (for me) is a fixed IP address. This simplifes remote access to my home network. Essential if you trade and still have to work for a living ;)

Ill add my name to the list of ex-tiscali customers: pretty crap service all round.

Think Im going to have to look @ f2s. Thx for starting the thread..

Iv'e been with Virgin broadband for sometime, £24.99 per month NO contract !!
which for me is a big plus, because if I don't like what they offer I can go!
Service is usually good, but have had the odd mail server problem, not paid any commission so please DYOR...............good luck

Nildram - £23/month. I've been with them for 2 years -never had a problem, and they always score well in adslguide's peer rankng.

Im in the same boat as well as im looking for a new provider. Going to look into F2S for sure. But here another site which i find quite useful: www.net4nowt.com/

Eclipse recently introduced Flexible Broadband where you pay a lower rate and then extra if you want to temporarily up your speed. May be of some use, if you're doing nothing a lot of the day and then "up" it for trading or downloading biggies. I haven't looked into it though.
http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/49324.html

Does anyone know how much of a 2GB a month usage limit daily live trading would take up?

Try Bulldog. They are new but offer value for money. I have just signed up and awaiting connection.

Have tried to look for others with similar value but not found anything yet. Will let you know though.

Many thanks to you all.

Hi John,

Please let me know the result.

dod said:
Does anyone know how much of a 2GB a month usage limit daily live trading would take up?

My stats for the last few months:
Aug 0.6gb so far
July 3.5gb
June 1.1
may 1.8
apr 0.9
mar 1.9

Typically this represents connection whenever I'm awake :eek:
July was unusual as downloaded a lot of historical data from esignal as i subscribed to them that month.

Jim,

Thanks for those stats. I'm hovering between subscribing to Wanadoo at £17.99 a month with its 2GB monthly limit or Pipex with no limit. for £23.44.

My problem is I have two other computer users in the house, and we're planning to split the line so all or any of us can be online at the same time. They're not big users on dial up; but they might be tempted ...

Nick

Jim,

Since you ask, it's because I'm a confirmed and hopeless cheapskate. I regularly walk an extra quarter mile to buy milk thats 15p cheaper a litre. After all, that saves me at least £20 a year ...

Nick

Dod, Been hearing some bad things about Wanadoo. Attract loads of customers by undercutting the opposition, but not be able to handle the numbers- poor connection and poor customer service.
I'm with Pipex anyway and I will not be changing. Only criticism is the length of time it takes to get thru to technical support on the phone. The twice I've rung holding 10-15 mins each time, but otherwise 1st class