Extracting Alpha from Futures trading

rvtrader10

Hi All,
I would be interested in learning more about futures trading. Would anyone of you share their ideas, without going into details about your own strategy?

Thank you.

What sorts of futures are you looking at? I'm sure things vary a lot between asset classes.

True.
I would start with Equity Index futures (DAX, Eurostoxx, SP500), but effectively whatever is very liquid. Both manual or automatic trading.
For example, I would not mind hearing about some good ideas about commodity trading too.
Again, I don't want anybody to give out too much about their personal strategy, just few hints to be researched and developed further.

Well, from what I understand stuff that's done in crude is all based on trading the "golden roll", i.e. front-running the roll that the monstrous oil ETFs have to do at certain points in the cycle. I don't do these things, so I can't tell you more than that. There's all sorts of things that can be done in the world of rates, but they're somewhat more esoteric.

If your interested in learning about futures trading - I would advise reading up about the market profile. This works great on Eurostoxx and Bund (never tried it on S&P so cannot comment). A fantastic book is 'Mind Over Markets' by Dalton.
The Dax can be extremely volatile and hard to trade at the best of times, so personally if your a beginner I would advise you to stay away from this. Although thats just my view.
Eurostoxx, Bund and S&P are good ones to start with, nice movements and all highly liquid.

Cheers,
Gibson