EXCEL - File not found

TheBramble

Legendary member
While I'm 'over here' in techies corner.....

I've been having a problem with Excel for a few weeks now. No idea what brought it about.

When I initially start it up I get a command box titled "Microsoft Visual Basic" with the window text of "File not found" and the little yellow warning triangle with the black exclamation mark.

As far as I can tell, it's working just fine. DDE links, macros the lot. So no obvious problems or issues.

I've tried looking for a startup file to see what file(s) Excel is trying to open at startup, but no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Open your spreadsheet and go into the Visual Basic Editor - look in Tools / References. See if there is an entry at the top of the list with the word "Missing"in front of it. The file that cannot be found may be one of the components that the VB is looking for.

Nothing showing as missing.

Four Refs are checked:-

Visual Basic for Applications
Microsoft Excel 10.0 Object Library
OLE Automation
Microsoft Office 10 Object Library

In the VBA Project window I have:-

atvpbaen.xla and funcres.xla

Other things to check - from the spreadsheet screen, look in Tools / Addins. You will find at least 2 things checked - Analysis Toolpak and ditto for VBA. If you have any other entries ticked, try unchecking them one at a time (then save, close and reopen Excel) to see if that identifies the missing file.

Also I presume that when you open Excel you do not specify any command line parameters, i.e. I guess you just click on the icon or menu option for Excel. If you load it some other way, maybe it is trying to open a default worksheet.

The only other thing I can think of is that it cannot find your personal settings workbook. Have a look on this web page (which I found with a simple Google search) for some info - http://www.meadinkent.co.uk/xlconfigure.htm

As you can see, there are several possible default files, but whether you need them depends on your version of Excel and how you have set it up.

Cheers

Rob