EUR selling off or USD gaining?

szafar

Why EURUSD and EURGBP selling off? if its USD gaining then why isnt USDGBP selling off?

anyone?

USD/GBP? You mean GBP/USD - anyway that did drop over 100 pips in the last hour. Check out the $ against other pairs and it gives you the answer to whether it's exclusive to 1 pair or if it's a general move.

Compare cable e/g and eur.

Eur/gbp fell + eur/usd fell significantly. Cable less so. They are all in relation with each other, hence eur sell off.

But other usd did cause movement too, as masq said, just the break on e/g helped.

no idea mate, i was wondering the same thing. Maybe short term demand for dollars by corporates during start of new year or major hedging

you don't go long on something just because it has fallen a lot. You have to remember, the fed has reduced rates as far is it can (to a range of 0 and 0.25%), the ECB has been slow to cut and so they are likely to cut rates to fight the deflationary and recessionary environment. You have Q3 eurozone gdp this thursday and that is likely to b pretty bad. However, you do have non farm payrolls in the U.S on fri so that cud hurt the dollar, but to be honest, the numbers are unlikely to be as bad as last time (-533,000), so dollar could in fact strengthen on the news. If you wana trade anything, I reckon it would be short GBP/USD

A lot of people asking today why GBP isn't weaker. One main reason being attributed to it is HSBC having to make their dividend payment (that one went round the market first thing this morning). EUR/USD felt like it was one of those snowball stop sessions to me, with each sucessive move triggering trades from anotehr sector of the market.

Liquidity is still very very patchy.

Stay lucky

GJ

Hows it going gamma, so if sterling stronger today because of the HSBC news, then shouldnt today be a perfect shorting opportunity, as there is nuthing to hold it up tomorrow. I mean, there should be further weakness in sterling because of expectations of a 75 basis point cut in interest rates this thurs by BoE.

you don't go long on something just because it has fallen a lot. You have to remember, the fed has reduced rates as far is it can (to a range of 0 and 0.25%), the ECB has been slow to cut and so they are likely to cut rates to fight the deflationary and recessionary environment. You have Q3 eurozone gdp this thursday and that is likely to b pretty bad. However, you do have non farm payrolls in the U.S on fri so that cud hurt the dollar, but to be honest, the numbers are unlikely to be as bad as last time (-533,000), so dollar could in fact strengthen on the news. If you wana trade anything, I reckon it would be short GBP/USD

were will the non farm payrolls be availble to see, is there a way to see it live as it comes out.

were will the non farm payrolls be availble to see, is there a way to see it live as it comes out.

Unless you are paying for a premium news service, the soonest you will hear it is as it does the rounds on chat software / messageboards / etc...

The release can be found here Employment Situation

Not the quickest, but here is the actual document for you to pick through if you so desire e.g. unemployment by age / education / sector / g'ment jobs , and so on... if you know where to look there can be some great little nuggets hidden behind the headline figures

Use what was formely gracecheng.com and is now dailymarkets.com, might be a few seconds later then the sqwak the professionals use, so i normally have a graph up of the snp or dow up a few minutes before its released incase you missed the big move by the time their figures update :smart:

you can see non farm payrolls live if you have sky digital. Bloomberg news and CNBC announce the figures live

Does anybody know why sterling rallied against all currencies, particularly the dollar. I understand why it rallied against euro, but still confused as to why it strengthened in general. I am sure brown's plan to create 100,000 jobs couldnt have been the reason given the fact that we had bad PMI construction data