ETX Capital

ET

Thanks for the post.

If you could please send me a PM and let me know your name and account number I will look in to the history of what happened with your Silver trades and why the trading loss was not credited back to your account. I'm sure we'll be able to compromise with you to show some good faith.

Alternativly, send me an email directly at [email protected]

Our new charts have some extra functionality on them that our previous charts did not have. The feedback that we have had on them has been ever so encouraging and it is dissappointing to hear that you are not their biggest fan. We do offer a webinar on how to use the charts and I am sure that you would find that a very useful 45 minutes spent.

Drop me an email regarding the loss and anything else that you'd like to discuss with me.

Once again, thanks for the post and for all of your comments.

Good luck

Rob.

Thank you for your concern. I've sent an email. :)

I'm not trying to copy BTW - et are my actual initials. That's another thing I initially liked about the site. :cheesy:

Maybe the new charts aren't as bad as I suggest. They are very good in many ways. The trade-in feature is practical and it's interesting to look at 30 second and 10 second candlesticks on the advanced charts. I also like the fact you can customise the bars and fibonnaci plots - giving them different colours is useful.

I'd just like to emphasise how valuable I feel the old charts were. They were very simple and much easier to work with if you're flipping between scales. You could zoom in and out quickly in a way you can't on the new charts, and the market window was bigger. It would be great to have the option of a very basic chart.

Silver got me interested but I ended up learning mostly on indices. My typical trade at ETX was to enter and then skittishly exit when it had reversed a few pips against, just before the price took off in the direction I intended. I'm not ready to claim I'm a trader psychology wise ...

Another comment about ETX Capital.

When I wanted to take the rest of my starting capital out - not all of it, I left the £6 something in there - you cannot just withdraw it into your bank account. A message gets sent to customer service and they withdraw it for you. Is that typical of most spreadbetting firms? It would be good to take at least some, up to a threshold amount, out when you need it. At Ladbrokes (which ran WorldSpreads) withdrawals didn't have to be done by customer service, however the system may have been different there because Ladbrokes was only hosting.

ETX Capital have made good the original offer - twice over, in fact. Don't know what happen before but the mistake has been corrected.

Thanks to them. I will return some of my own funds into the account as a return gesture of my intention to continue trading with them (and out of recognition I'll probably need all of it - joking!).

I'm not entirely sure if I will use ETX Capital charts to trade given the change but it is a very well designed trading page, so I'm very happy to have another go there now that Worldspreads has gone 'poof'.

Rob,
The voices are now overwhelmingly in favour that your new charts are crap.
ETX Execution and platform has always been one of the best but you have dropped a bo****k on these
and you will lose client share as a result.
If anyone actually like these charts then please prove me wrong but for me the IT Charts rule !!!

Rob,
ETX Execution and platform has always been one of the best but you have dropped a bo****k on these
If anyone actually like these charts then please prove me wrong but for me the IT Charts rule !!!

Hi Shaun

I disagree that the voices are overwhelmingly in favour that our new charts are crap. It's a point well made though.

I appreciate the time it takes you to write a post and your comments are always very welcome, but the evidence that we have at ETX is that more of our new charts are used by our clients than were used with the previous IT Finance charts.

It was our intention when we developed these charts and it is still our intention now to provide complimentary services to our clients that enhance their trading. We listen to what our clients say and hopefully you will agree that we have demonstrated many times that we're pretty good at reacting to suggestions.

We offer regular webinars on how to use our charts. You will find a list of all of our seminars at Spread Betting Webinars | CFD Trading Webinars | ETX Capital I really recommend that you take 45 minutes and have a look at the next webinar. You've nothing to lose and you never know, you may see something that you like the look of a bit more.

Once again, thanks for posting. All constructive feedback such as this is always welcome. We're never going to be all things to all people but we're having a pretty good go at doing our best.

Good luck

Rob.

I've signed up for the Thursday webinar. Look forward to that.

On the charts controversy, there are definitely good things about the new charts you don't want to lose when the next edition comes out. However, it breaks all the laws of effective design. I'd go as far as say the new charts are a conspiracy by and for left-handers.

'd like to bet that the principle designer is left-handed because the chart levels (1min, 3min, 5min ...) and magnifying glass are in the worst places for me - also separated rather than together. On the classic chart they are both in the bottom right corner. Intuitive for the 90% of us who are right handed. On the new chart the magnifying glass is on a new sidebar on the left, which makes it look like MS Paint and the mouse hits the keyboard every time I want to zoom. On the classic chart there is no side bar, all the tools are in the most noticeable position, along the top - just like tabs on a web browser. Meanwhile the time levels are on the top right and when I go there I knock over the orange juice. I can imagine this is pretty good if you are left handed. I just find it a frustrating layout. Then there is a lot of unnecessary black space which could be parred down to increase the size of the chart window.

Interesting bit of information from this article (probably based on a press release as it reads like an ad).

ETX Capital Highlights Increase in Financial Spread Betting

Application %s by age range

Application Date Age Range 2009.....2010.....2011
Age Range: 18 - 29.............22%.....23%.......28%
Age Range: 30 - 44.............42%.....43%.......41%
Age Range: 45 - 59.............21%.....24%.......23%
Age Range: 60 - 69 ..............5%......6%........5%
Age Range: 70+..................9%.......3%........3%

Rob,

In most repects I think the new charts are pretty good. For a start, they load more quickly and work more reliably than the old Java ones, which gave constant problems on some computers or browsers, for reasons that I gave up trying to find.
The charts/indicators are clear, and the direct trading facility is good, although it could be improved if you could open trades or orders by clicking on the chart and switch off the confirmation box when dragging orders. Like the option to show spread, and bid/ask/mid, too.
On the cons side, please get rid of the tiny red text on black backgrounds!

On a more general note, 1pt spread on US30 one would be welcome.

I've signed up for the Thursday webinar. Look forward to that.

On the charts controversy, there are definitely good things about the new charts you don't want to lose when the next edition comes out. However, it breaks all the laws of effective design. I'd go as far as say the new charts are a conspiracy by and for left-handers.

'd like to bet that the principle designer is left-handed because the chart levels (1min, 3min, 5min ...) and magnifying glass are in the worst places for me - also separated rather than together. On the classic chart they are both in the bottom right corner. Intuitive for the 90% of us who are right handed. On the new chart the magnifying glass is on a new sidebar on the left, which makes it look like MS Paint and the mouse hits the keyboard every time I want to zoom. On the classic chart there is no side bar, all the tools are in the most noticeable position, along the top - just like tabs on a web browser. Meanwhile the time levels are on the top right and when I go there I knock over the orange juice. I can imagine this is pretty good if you are left handed. I just find it a frustrating layout. Then there is a lot of unnecessary black space which could be parred down to increase the size of the chart window.

Hi ET

This really intrigued me, so much that I called the lead developer up and asked him whether he was left handed and he said he wasn't. I asked him what his thought process was behind the design and he sent me an email explaining. That (rather long) email is copied and pasted below..

I am not left handed but after reading your points I did double check.
You are right, the new chart layout is very different from the classic charts that came before however they were a very individual design. The charts now show a lot more similarities to premium charting packages such as Updata and CQG. As we release more functionality, this will be of significant benefit. I do however understand that any change is going to be frustrating at first.

May I suggest that, if you are concerned with the default layout, you could unselect the option “Show Toolbar” from the Options menu. This will automatically remove the links from the left hand side of the chart that you don’t like. It will move the zoom buttons to the top of the chart where you want them and still allow you to access the drawing tools from the drop down menu. This may take a second longer but your chart space will be expanded and the drawing tools will be accessible at the top, in the same position in the chart as you had them before. Although not a copy of the classic charts, it should help from what you have said. Either way, your point is appreciated and I will consider it when we add more functionality. Perhaps a user defined position for the quick link buttons…

In regards to your concerns about the use of space; one of the most significant challenges in the design of charting packages is the placement of quick links and buttons to allow quick access the most heavily used functionality. As we add more functionality, we need more space but can’t constantly be removing current buttons (which users are used to) or even worse, expanding into the chart window.
For this reason the space at the top of the chart is being held back for the really significant functions such as back testing etc that are still to come.

Hope that helps.

Good luck, Rob.

They are very well capitalized - I wouldn't think so

E T and X.

In most repects I think the new charts are pretty good. For a start, they load more quickly and work more reliably than the old Java ones, which gave constant problems on some computers or browsers, for reasons that I gave up trying to find.
The charts/indicators are clear, and the direct trading facility is good, although it could be improved if you could open trades or orders by clicking on the chart and switch off the confirmation box when dragging orders. Like the option to show spread, and bid/ask/mid, too.
On the cons side, please get rid of the tiny red text on black backgrounds!

On a more general note, 1pt spread on US30 one would be welcome.

Right or left handed?

Hi ET

This really intrigued me, so much that I called the lead developer up and asked him whether he was left handed and he said he wasn't. I asked him what his thought process was behind the design and he sent me an email explaining. That (rather long) email is copied and pasted below..

Thanks for doing that!

I am not left handed but after reading your points I did double check.
You are right, the new chart layout is very different from the classic charts that came before however they were a very individual design. The charts now show a lot more similarities to premium charting packages such as Updata and CQG. As we release more functionality, this will be of significant benefit. I do however understand that any change is going to be frustrating at first.

May I suggest that, if you are concerned with the default layout, you could unselect the option “Show Toolbar” from the Options menu. This will automatically remove the links from the left hand side of the chart that you don’t like. It will move the zoom buttons to the top of the chart where you want them and still allow you to access the drawing tools from the drop down menu.

Thanks - that's a lot better.

This may take a second longer but your chart space will be expanded and the drawing tools will be accessible at the top, in the same position in the chart as you had them before. Although not a copy of the classic charts, it should help from what you have said. Either way, your point is appreciated and I will consider it when we add more functionality. Perhaps a user defined position for the quick link buttons…

It's a lot better when you remove the left side bar.

I still think a little more of the black space area can be removed. The date and time horizontal is very space-hogging, and there are two bars at the top - perhaps space can be used more economically so there only has to be one. I would like the chart to be at least 50% of the screen, rather than get the feeling I'm looking out of a letter box.

With the side bar removed I can accept the position of the magnifying glass and chart drop down. It's not ideal for right or left handed people but it's not that bad for either of them.

I'm not too keen on the scale to window feature. I prefer the greater control you get when you can just zoom in and out. However, that's not a priority. I could get used to that.

BTW - I've always wondered what colour blind people think of the red and green charts. Ever thought about black and white alternative?

With a few more changes it could be very good. The chart could go from 5/10 (6/10 when I delete the side bar) to 9 or 10/10.

In regards to your concerns about the use of space; one of the most significant challenges in the design of charting packages is the placement of quick links and buttons to allow quick access the most heavily used functionality. As we add more functionality, we need more space but can’t constantly be removing current buttons (which users are used to) or even worse, expanding into the chart window.
For this reason the space at the top of the chart is being held back for the really significant functions such as back testing etc that are still to come.

Hope that helps.

Good luck, Rob.

I think I'd prefer the very top tool bar at the bottom and it, and the one below it reduced in size a few pixels.

Thanks again for finding out this information for us. Pass on good luck for future development.

ETX will be going under after introducing those new crappy charts. RIP.
Don't you trade CMC?............No charting package in the whole wide world could
equal the smell of their crap.
Nevertheless, I'm hoping you're still doin' a good job on them.

Just sat in on the latest ETX webinar. It's very good and well presented. I'll be at the next one. For me it's interesting hearing the beginner's perspective as I've already scouted some of the information from various youtube videos, however I did learn some things and was reminded of other things. The simple flow strategy (10 moving average buy zone), used as an example, was new to me. I'll check that out although I might already have it covered. The Q&A session allows you to ask your own questions.

Another excellent webinar yesterday.

Better than any youtube video I've seen. We were told the basics of everything you really need to know - divergence indicators, fibonnaci lines, and pivot points. I checked this stuff out prior to the webinar so I did know much of it already however the relevance of Fibonnaci clustering was something I hadn't paid much attention too, and I've since explored alternative indicators to the stochastic with which to assess divergence.

BTW the new ETX charts, once you get used to them, have so many good features that I should humbly admit they are probably the best of those I know now. There is somewhat of a "bad workman blames his tools" aspect to my previous criticisms. That said, it is still annoying in some aspects and could do with some redesign to enlarge the screen and help zoom in and out but the pivot point feature, the different colour bars, are very convenient. I've not tried to trade them yet, however I've practised a little more and am prepared to have a go now, I think.

As for my personal trading efforts this week: 12 pips in four trades. They all were big moves that went exactly to plan, the only problem was me getting shaken out when I knew I shouldn't have been. I still expect to be wrong. I'm also hesitating in a very comic fashion not to take other clear opportunities my strategy reveals. I'm guessing that's also because I'm so used to sitting on my hands in order to learn, I'm just clamped up. It might not help I'm attempting to trade at the 1 minute level either, however I am informed by 5 min and 30 min timeframes. The problem there is I keep trying to find the perfect moment to join the higher timeframe trend, and never get in because the signal is not as perfect as I want. It's a nicer problem to have than learning from the beginning though.

BTW I always seem to learn something new on Thursdays and this Thursday something new that's clicked is that Bearish tops usually occur in threes while Bullish bottoms occur in twos. This can mean the second bearish divergence doesn't go that far. However, it's only something I've thought about today so I don't know if it holds up all days, all markets etc. This 2/3 difference would be interesting though as they are Fibonnaci numbers. Could indicate that people are in general glass half- or three-fifths full - more positive than they are negative, so quicker to start a bull run, slower to turn bearish?

Another excellent webinar yesterday.

Better than any youtube video I've seen. We were told the basics of everything you really need to know - divergence indicators, fibonnaci lines, and pivot points. I checked this stuff out prior to the webinar so I did know much of it already however the relevance of Fibonnaci clustering was something I hadn't paid much attention too, and I've since explored alternative indicators to the stochastic with which to assess divergence.

BTW the new ETX charts, once you get used to them, have so many good features that I should humbly admit they are probably the best of those I know now.

Hi et.,
I just wondered if you have any official connection with ETX? If so, please would you edit your profile accordingly. Hovering the cursor over the cash register vendor icon beneath your username - it says you're a vendor of trading literature. Perhaps this is an error?

Also, when you say, "We were told the basics of everything you really need to know", I assume by that you mean everything you need to know to have a broad understanding of the ETX platform and its features - as opposed to everything you need to know in order to trade profitably? If you meant the latter, then I fear you might be in for an unpleasant surprise in the weeks and months ahead!
;)
Tim.

ETX Capital, proud sponsors of Greg Secker. Tells you all you needs to know.

Hi et.,
I just wondered if you have any official connection with ETX? If so, please would you edit your profile accordingly. Hovering the cursor over the cash register vendor icon beneath your username - it says you're a vendor of trading literature. Perhaps this is an error?

Also, when you say, "We were told the basics of everything you really need to know", I assume by that you mean everything you need to know to have a broad understanding of the ETX platform and its features - as opposed to everything you need to know in order to trade profitably? If you meant the latter, then I fear you might be in for an unpleasant surprise in the weeks and months ahead!
;)
Tim.

The bloke who allegedly made millions through CMC while spending £200k on wine reckoned he learnt everything in three months. Are you saying that can't happen? I'm devastated.:)

The bloke who allegedly made millions through CMC while spending £200k on wine reckoned he learnt everything in three months. Are you saying that can't happen? I'm devastated.:)
Hi RS,
Actually, I suspect that the key principles can be taught and learnt in a very short space of time; maybe even in a half day webinar. However, for most traders (me included), there is a vast chasm between what may be golden nuggets of wisdom (I've not attended the ETX webinar, so I'm in no position to comment) - and being able to trade in a consistently profitable fashion. It's akin to being given the correct numbers to a six figure combination lock and then having to work out the right order. What I am nigh on 100% certain of is that there's no way someone can decide to become a trader, attend a half day webinar (or even a week long training course for that matter) and then trade profitably from the get go, ad infinitum. At least, I've never heard of anyone doing it - put it that way.

If there's anyone out there who can claim to have achieved such a feat - please come forward and I will gladly retract my post and bow down before you while tendering my humble apologies!
:p
Tim.