eSignal Basic...

omelette

I am thinking of signing up for this service. I am very interested in mechanical trading systems & would like access to both historical EOD & intraday data for back-testing while also being able to access a live-feed via third-party apps for day-trading purposes. My Question: would I be able to access all this with just the eSignal Basic sub.? eSignals on-line help initially told me I would, until I asked about their exclusion of the 'Pick & Mix' addition from the Basic Sub. (I'm still not sure what this is!) - I was then told that historical data was not included!! I'm with Ameritrade Apex at the moment which is almost perfect (imo!) but not quite - there's not way for third-party apps to access the RT feed. Also, exporting historical data is limited to 1 year of EOD info. Almost every trading application I have come across accepts data form eSignal which to me is a big plus so it seems like the way to go. Any information would be appreciated.

You might try eSignal forums, I think you might find they are better at answering this type of question than the live help. Live help is gteat for running probs but the forum may be better for this type of query.

Yeah, you're probably right. I only recently discovered this site (T2W) and must say I think it rocks! Appreciate the reply.

omelette said:
I am thinking of signing up for this service. I am very interested in mechanical trading systems & would like access to both historical EOD & intraday data for back-testing while also being able to access a live-feed via third-party apps for day-trading purposes. My Question: would I be able to access all this with just the eSignal Basic sub.? eSignals on-line help initially told me I would, until I asked about their exclusion of the 'Pick & Mix' addition from the Basic Sub. (I'm still not sure what this is!) - I was then told that historical data was not included!! I'm with Ameritrade Apex at the moment which is almost perfect (imo!) but not quite - there's not way for third-party apps to access the RT feed. Also, exporting historical data is limited to 1 year of EOD info. Almost every trading application I have come across accepts data form eSignal which to me is a big plus so it seems like the way to go. Any information would be appreciated.

With eSignal Basic, you can certainly access a live-feed via a supported 3rd party application, however access to historical and intraday data for backtesting is only available if the 3rd party application supports it. In other words, eSignal Basic doesn't include access to eSignal's Advanced Charts, which is the window that allows the direct download of historical data (there's also a built-in backtester in the Advanced Charts as well.) On way around this is to use a 3rd party application that is specifically designed to download data from our servers. One great one is QCollector.

JayF, I appreciate the input. I have signed up for the Basic sub. (after consulting the eSignal Forums site) and can testify that I've had no problems accessing both intraday & daily data with Metastock.