End to SUV Boom

Atilla

Legendary member
GM, Considering Hummer Sale, Signals End to SUV Boom (Update2)

I always thought it was pretty daft building such enormous monsters.

People who have money don't give a fucuk.

Car manufacturers have no sense of right or wrong or proportion.

Capitalists will do anything for money, including killing people in every way possible if it makes them money.

Governments and politicians are bunch of ******s for allowing such machines to be manufactured only then to tax them to show their green credentials.

I always wonder why we have national speed limits and then manufacture cars that go at twice the speed.

The world is full of pooh. Really!

I hope oil goes through $200 as I think it will man kind to a better life style that doesn't revolve around the excesses of stupid cars and travelling stupid distances.

At last we can start looking forward to donkey carts and bicycles. :clover:

I hope oil goes through $200 as I think it will man kind to a better life style that doesn't revolve around the excesses of stupid cars and travelling stupid distances.

If that happens there will world starvation on a biblical scale as well as unemployment at levels not seen since the depression.

Paul

For any lovers of the 4WD ... you might enjoy this video. Probably better if you don't love 4wds actually :)

YouTube - country driver

You need to recreate the url ... for some utube reason (remove the spaces)

youtube .com /watch?v=v1keZJdf8pA

:LOL:
"Wanker... wanker... when cars break down."
"Driving like a ****... driving like a ****... driving like a countryside driver."

(Might be inaccurate cos I can't be bothered to watch it again.)

I too can not wait for oil to go to $200 a barrel and fuel to go up to $10 a Litre!
Then there will be less cars on the road so I can drive my nice new H2 bright yellow Hummer SUT all over the place without having to worry about someone in a shoe box getting under my front bumper.

:D

That's the thing. The more taxes you impose, the less peasants we will endure blocking our way in their euro ****boxes. The roads are for the rich. New Labour. Vote for Gordon.

If that happens there will world starvation on a biblical scale as well as unemployment at levels not seen since the depression.

Paul

I beg to differ. Oil was $35 dollars (even $16 at one point) and now it's $120.

The only people screaming so far are car and aeroplane travellers predominantly.

Yes inflationary effects on food too but this is where food ideally should be produced locally not transported thousands of miles.

In order to continue with our over extended life styles will anybody bother if they have some food stuff variety drop from the supermarket shelves? I don't think so.

Choice is good we are told. I don't think so when one has to make a choice out of 200 varieties. Most of them are the same but by different manufacturers anyway. Competition is good we are told. Not if all their prices are like few pennies apart.

Basically, the haves will lose considerably more than the have nots. A better balance of life will entail as we have some redistribution of wealth to producers instead of consumers imo.

Just look at what happened the last two times that oil rocketed in price and not by the amount that it currently has done. The long term effects are devastating. We are already hearing that Gas and Electric prices will rise by 40% by Winter this year because of the inflation of oil. That will also put business and especially manufacturing costs through the roof. This will lead to job cuts, in addition to this all goods are transported by road and therefore those costs will rise as well. Inflation will rise so will interest rates to cater for that then people wont be able to afford their mortgage etc.

At $200 a barrel the western world will go into depression of that I have no doubt at all and as such aid to third world countries will drop massively causing starvation. Food prices that are almost not affordable by many of these nations will rise even further. Have you not heard that there are already riots happening over food prices ?

Expensive oil cripples nations, it has happened in the past and there is no reason to doubt it will happen again and it will make the credit crunch look like a drop in the ocean by comparison of its ultimate effects.

Paul

Just look at what happened the last two times that oil rocketed in price and not by the amount that it currently has done. The long term effects are devastating. We are already hearing that Gas and Electric prices will rise by 40% by Winter this year because of the inflation of oil. That will also put business and especially manufacturing costs through the roof. This will lead to job cuts, in addition to this all goods are transported by road and therefore those costs will rise as well. Inflation will rise so will interest rates to cater for that then people wont be able to afford their mortgage etc.

At $200 a barrel the western world will go into depression of that I have no doubt at all and as such aid to third world countries will drop massively causing starvation. Food prices that are almost not affordable by many of these nations will rise even further. Have you not heard that there are already riots happening over food prices ?

Expensive oil cripples nations, it has happened in the past and there is no reason to doubt it will happen again and it will make the credit crunch look like a drop in the ocean by comparison of its ultimate effects.

Paul

sadly, I agree. Expensive oil will lead to land being used to grow fuel rather than food - and hence starvation.

I agree with Atilla's sentiments though. Though you have to feel for the 4*4 drivers with 3 kid's, who "really need" a massive vehicle or their kids will surely die. No really;)

UTB

Man-made global warming is a scam.

Temperatures have not risen this millenium.

CO2 promotes life by encouraging the proliferation of plants & trees which inhale CO2 thus creating more oxygen (through exhalation, for mammals to inhale).

"Peak oil" is a scam.

Also see "artificial scarcity" of oil.

$200 Dollar a Barrel Oil Is Bilderberg Plan To Destroy Middle Class

possibly yes, possibly no. But the risks of ignoring it and getting it wrong are rather large, aren't they?

And the fact that we'll soon run out of the stuff isn't a scam - so we're stuck with high prices and the reality that 4*4 drivers (;))are squandering a valuable resource.

UTB

possibly yes, possibly no. But the risks of ignoring it and getting it wrong are rather large, aren't they?

And the fact that we'll soon run out of the stuff isn't a scam - so we're stuck with high prices and the reality that 4*4 drivers (;))are squandering a valuable resource.

UTB

Yes it is
. Obviously you've not read the article...
Old oil wells that ran dry 50 years ago, are now full again. They're discovering new oil fields all the time.

Given a choice, i'd rather be driving electric cars than petrol/deisel...less smog etc.
The technology exists to have high spec, efficient electric cars, but the oil companies have done all they can to supress such technology, as obviously, it would reduce their profits vastly.

Yes it is
. Obviously you've not read the article...
Old oil wells that ran dry 50 years ago, are now full again. They're discovering new oil fields all the time.

I started reading it and quickly got the feel of a nutters /conspiracy theory heaven.

Call me gullible, but I can't see past the idea that a commodity that's taken millions of years to form and is being consumed in such vast and growing quantities wont run short some time "soon". The fact that they've discovered more oil rendering initial forecast wrong doesn alter the fact that there's a finite quantity of the stuff.

Then again, I always think that conspiracy theories are just that.

UTB

I started reading it and quickly got the feel of a nutters /conspiracy theory heaven.

Call me gullible, but I can't see past the idea that a commodity that's taken millions of years to form and is being consumed in such vast and growing quantities wont run short some time "soon". The fact that they've discovered more oil rendering initial forecast wrong doesn alter the fact that there's a finite quantity of the stuff.

Then again, I always think that conspiracy theories are just that.

UTB

If you don't trust one article/website. Do your own research from a variety of sources. Be prepared to go beyond bbc/fox if you want to find out whats ACTUALLY the case.

If you don't trust one article/website. Do your own research from a variety of sources. Be prepared to go beyond bbc/fox if you want to find out whats ACTUALLY the case.

and I'll find out that there isn't a finite source of oil? I doubt it, somehow;)

Go on, admit it. You belive in UFO's too, don't you? And that Di was done by MI5? :D

UTB

PS - I clearly wont find out what's ACTUALLY the case, and neither will you. Just a series of claims and counter claims. Meanwhile, the price will continue to rocket whoever's right. So i wont waste my time.

Last edited: