Edge - what is it?

Edge

EVERYONE wants " The Edge " - and EVERYONE is looking for it.... !!

If you can hit into a price - " just before it leaves " - you are immediately sitting in a trade that is BREAK EVEN ... !!

You are essentially risking " NOTHING TO MAKE SOMETHING " .... !! THE EDGE......!!

If you spread bet - you are immediately DOWN by the spread - " NO EDGE "..... !!

what about writing ( selling ) Indices options , doesnt this give an edge if u have deep pockets and u go with the general trend , u will gain the premium in the long run , am i right ?

what about writing ( selling ) Indices options , doesnt this give an edge if u have deep pockets and u go with the general trend , u will gain the premium in the long run , am i right ?

Options are very complex and best left to those that know and understand them. A deep pocket is needed for sure. Be very careful.

I come from a gambling background so edge to me has always meant positive mathematical expectancy, expressed as a number.

The system, or rules, intution, skill or talent is what gives you the edge, but is not the edge itself.

In that example you need to be honest about what you're bringing to the table:

(a) an ability to spot the general direction of the market

(b) an ability to spot when implied volatility is too high

or perhaps a bit of both.