dowindicator?

t2wfrank

There is a firm called DowIndicator.com. It gives an end-of-day signal whether to go long, short, hold, or exit for $5 mini-dow contracts. Has any ever heard of the firm DowIndicator.com and if so has anyone used it and would they care to give their comments about using it? Thank you.

I am in the middle of a 2 week trial with them. I actually signed on this board to get an answer to the same question you have. The results are impressive...I listened in on their last conference call and have talked with their main guy. I think I'm going to give it a try as I only seem to get my butt kicked trading on my own.....Please post if you have anymore information...
Thanks, Bill

I'm going to use a commercial signals generator because I just don't have the time to make a study of chart patterns, whereas commercial firms make a speciality of doing so. So I am buying their expertise. Problem is course is which one to use. If you want a deeper discussion of DowIndicator my email is [email protected]

I too have tried the 2 week trial and just signed up today (before the price goes up). What I like about DowIndicator is their apparent honesty. They make it clear losses are a real possibilty, don't claim that they have the holy grail and are readily accessable via email and even conference call. My 2 week trial at £1 per point spreadbetting more than paid for my annual subscription - maybe a lucky streak - only time will tell.

I joined dowindicator around trade number 84. They quickly had back to back loss and ignored their stop loss point. I paniced and set my contract size to 0. They next had a 500+ point gain which I missed out on. I tried to change my contract quantity after the 3:50pm signal with the trading service and found out that they required a 24hour notice to change contract size. I missed the next gain. I have since put my contract quantity back where I had it and have left it alone since. I am down 10% and would be up over 20% if I had stuck with it. (My fault). They have not been performing so well for the last couple of months. The DOW has moved around alot and their end of day entry / exit point has not let them take advantage of the news driven cycle. They have just this week begun to issue optional signals at 09:00am and 1:30pm EDT. They haven't issued a signal at the optional times as yet. I think they are worth the fee. I hope they return to their earlier gains pattern soon. I also like their honesty, accessability conference calls. Stay tuned...wdg

Thanks wdgreen...that sounds good. would be nice to continue a dialog with you outside this forum just to keep up with how things are going. any interest in that? if so you can email me at mike dot winfrey at gmail dot com.

Mike

I have been trading there system for the last 2 months. My account is up 12%. This is less than there track record average, but what I like about the system is that they have been conservative - because the market has been in a long down trend, they have skipped any signals to go long. Although this has lost some potential gains on the countertrend bounces we have had, I think it is a smart move as we have avoided the risk of going long into a potential crash. There has been some slippage on entry into the Dow, which they have been working on to improve. Overall so far, so good.

Well in my experience with them.You could get the same results following a moving average.
They have had some good wins, but they have terrible losses.
If you are trading 1 dow emini on a 100k account, then you wouldn't have to care.
But this type of system could wipe out 10k accounts pretty quick.
So the cost of the program, especially going from $990 a year, to $2380 per year, is definitely not worth it.

They don't seem to look at the chart. They haven't caught that the DOW is in at least a rebound phase. They are still looking for a fall in the price after a fall in the price "confirms" their assumption. If the down trend assumption is flawed in the short term...you are almost guaranteed to lose. I could have done better by simply going short the day after each large up move and only expecting 100-150 point retrace each time. I'm likely to pull out soon if they don't start making some money here. If they get stopped out Monday, I will be out 15%. On a $200K account (that's $30K!). I'm also getting frustrated with the academia flavor I'm getting with this group.

Seems they are in a bit of a panic of late. They are now suggesting they will send out signals intraday by email (something they dismissed only a couple of weeks ago), as email cannot be totally relied on, the only option is to watch for updates on their site all day, hardly an EOD system.

The extra updates they introduced (as mentioned above) was discontinued after just 3 days.

Their last trade started with a stop of around 75 points (usually 250-350) and an hour later they reduced it to around 30 points.

They double the price, have two big losses (-250 each) and then start messing with the system almost daily.

No idea what`s going on.

Yeah its definitely failing.
So called 2 years results I think might have been bogus.
This would be the worst losing result they have had.
Might have been backtesting which we all know eventually fails in forward testing.
I have stopped trade assist and enter mine manually and take profits.
Thats if I even decide ill use there signal which doesn't seem to be functioning.
Forget about hanging in the wind waiting for the Dow Indicator which is telling us to go and stay short when the market is going up.
I feel sorry for all the people who paid the new membership prices.
They must feel like utter junk.
Mine is still in profit and I plan to keep it that way.
They seem to be clutching at straws.
I think this is no good.

Concern!

I agree the constant changing of the system are not a good sign that this was a stable system.
What is the longest anyone on this forum has traded with them? Is their track record genuine?

Whilst personally I think they will be right eventually by shorting looking for another leg down, they are not following any of their own rules doing so, as they are still shorting even though the indicator is below 40? And the reason I want to trade mechanical systems is so my opinion doesn't matter!

I think the trade assist is the problem.Although its convenient.
You cant exit with some profit and wait for the next one.You have no discretion.
I know thats the idea of mechanical systems but ive tried many over the years and going entry to exit type thing always seems to bear a chance of a strong losing period.
They often go into profit and it comes back for a loss.
I think taking profits is the smartest thing you can do.There will ALWAYS be another trade.
Ive been filtering there signals with my own indicators getting out when mine turn against theres and getting back in when they go with it.And it seems to work better.On a bit of a lower tf.
Ive never seen and guys I know who've been trading 20+ years have never seen a mechanical system that is still running after along time.The losing periods and the markets changing kills the accounts.
Thats why they have even tried to make neural networks that are like many mechanical systems watching the markets in one thing.But they to failed.
I guess being at the screen and putting in the hard work is really the only way.
Another one they had for long months back I took $1400 profit.
It ended up being stopped out in the night and they told people to get back in again or something.Similar thing.

*Alert: Today's 9 PM update will be done at 8 AM Wed. morning. We may move the protective stop down.
LOL Oh noez wtf??
After today's 3:50 PM update, between 3:50 PM and 3:55 PM, many Dow Jones stocks rallied and caused the Dow Indicator to turn up. This has happened in the past as well. As a result we will now do our daily update at 3:55 PM.
HAHAHA WTF???
So much for the late great dow indicator.
Well you have to admit they picked a really bad year to put the price up......
If only they had started it 4 years ago.

Too many changes.

The first update said 9pm, don`t know exactly when, but it then changed to 8am. Ridiculous situation, unless you check their site every half hour or so, you could well miss something important.

I think the price increase is what is causing the panic, they realise that they won`t be getting many people staying around and are messing to try and increase profits, when in fact, it`s the messing that will probably convince people to leave.

EOD system, i don`t think so.
It used to be 3.50pm and 4.30pm
Then became 3.50pm, 4.30pm and occasionally 9pm.
Then 9am, 2pm, 3.50pm, 4.30pm and maybe 9pm.
Three days later it became, 3.50pm and 9pm
Now it is 3.55pm, 9pm and/or 8am
....and all this in the last month........

12-Month DI Member Speaks...

Hello all. I just browsed some of the posts about the DI system. I saw some of the same concerns and fears which I had going into the system, and for quite some time aftewards.

However, I've completed 12 months in the system... did not miss any entries, and my account is up more than 100% during these 12 months, which as you know is one of the worst years for the markets in US history.

The system was doing amazingly well for the first 5 or 6 months of this year, and then cooled off a lot starting from July - Sept. Then, they got hot again the last 2 months of the year. They're currently riding a winning streak of multiple trades. The trying part of the system the 2nd half of this year was that they often went anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks without an entry. But, I've had a close eye on this system and they seem to stick to their methods for the most part (I did notice some adjustments during the schizo volatility which seem to have gotten them back on track).

No BS folks, it worked for me (and I was very nervous, many times). I strongly recommend the "trade assist" option so that you don't have to track multiple securities (when they use an exit profit trigger) or so that you don't have to track the cash dow versus the emini prices during a trade. I went on the trade assist mid 2008, after getting more comfortable and disciplined, and it's been hands-off ever since.

Hello all. I just browsed some of the posts about the DI system. I saw some of the same concerns and fears which I had going into the system, and for quite some time aftewards.

However, I've completed 12 months in the system... did not miss any entries, and my account is up more than 100% during these 12 months, which as you know is one of the worst years for the markets in US history.

The system was doing amazingly well for the first 5 or 6 months of this year, and then cooled off a lot starting from July - Sept. Then, they got hot again the last 2 months of the year. They're currently riding a winning streak of multiple trades. The trying part of the system the 2nd half of this year was that they often went anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks without an entry. But, I've had a close eye on this system and they seem to stick to their methods for the most part (I did notice some adjustments during the schizo volatility which seem to have gotten them back on track).

No BS folks, it worked for me (and I was very nervous, many times). I strongly recommend the "trade assist" option so that you don't have to track multiple securities (when they use an exit profit trigger) or so that you don't have to track the cash dow versus the emini prices during a trade. I went on the trade assist mid 2008, after getting more comfortable and disciplined, and it's been hands-off ever since.

Thankfully they have stopped changing the system, and have got back to profitablity. The system is far more discretionary than it was before, especially for exits (taking profits more quickly rather than waiting for the indicator to turn), but you have to hand it to their trader as he as timed the exits very well lately.
Unlike most systems, they have adapted to the market conditions, and are going well at present.
I also appreciate their disciplined approach, being happy to be out of the market, until the right risk:reward set up is there, and only trading with the trend (only taking shorts).

I also only use "trade assist", which has also improved with a lot less slippage since they changed the trade time.
I started in June, and my account is up around 75% at present. Not too shabby!