Dow Intraday Charts 29 Aug - 02Sept

hi mate, cant really say in any great detail..

what i can say, is that we had moved sufficiently from previous close levels, and coupled with daily patterns, a low in the region of 10,080 looked likely.

current target for this bounce is about 10,200. then looking for a reversal south on thursday in the 10,260 region.

lets see if it pans out.

good trading all.

Sounds good will keep an eye out for it,thanks for your reply again.
Have a good week
Llew

Hi FC
Just a note to say I would look to the sell target level if you intend to trade the turn

“TradeSmart will know”

CM/All – I speculated earlier that another crack at 10220 ish might be on, and from the enthusiastic ‘bounce’ this evening, that seems possible – likely even….

(good call with the support level FC.....!)

But this week will be data driven and with the dreaded ISM (It Sinks Markets……?!) tomorrow, and the even more dreaded NF payrolls on Friday, any call could go decidedly pear-shaped….

If the economist can’t get it right, who can…?

But, I’m an optimist…… ;)

For the 64 and 32 players, the clear failure to get up to 64 at the open must have been a good short entry.... and the 10 point pullback to 32 gave a nice measured move on down to 100. And then to that short time PD- 22 mins or so. Too short for a bottom ( usually) not too short for a reversal- which it did by 20 points. On the limit for a normal trailing stop, but gets you reaching for the ciggies..... And then onto the real bottom ( I must pay more attention to Chino's calls)Spread across 2 hours with near perfect timing across the three troughs certainly helps the decision making.One of those cases, where , if you were confident ( or even knew ) about the major support, you could have reversed the trade- not that I advocate that as you know!. But sometimes it is really obvious that it's the logical move.And if not? Either long on the pullback just above the 100MA, or as the price went through 100. Each level of comfort that you allow to pass, the greater the probability of success, but at a lower point value..... That move up made a 22 point pullback, too much for some, but did you look at the RSI strength compared to the rise from 80 to 140? Nearly 3:1 difference... weak enough to not be too concerned about the drop... Did you count the 5 waves up? that should have warned you of a reversal. The tricky bit would have been deciding to close as the price dropped through 32...... tough call, but a quick re-entry as it went back through if you did close, with not too much lost. Having got that far, you should have had the confidence to hold into the close having calculated T2 at 185 ish.
No reason why T2 won't be met tomorrow.....( famous last words) :(

Attachments

• dow 31-08-04 1.gif
    dow 31-08-04 1.gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 244
A very exciting day, if only they could all be like this!

My view on today:

I've ditched Fins and now have an IB account so I am able to gamble on some scalping style trading without having the spread to hamper me.

On the attatched chart:

Point A as CM said earlier, didn't get to the magic 64 so a good short entry.

Point B divergence so time to exit and chance a reverse.

Point C bounced off the magic 32 so time to exit and reverse again.

On the way down to D the price pulled back a less than 10 points with RSI going up to over 50 - giving some breathing space for another push down?

Point D 3 pk ND bottom but not over 25 mins + so time to exit and try a reverse but suspected it might not be the real bottom just yet.

Point E S/R switch on RSI so went short.

Point F another S/R switch confirming the next drop. Thought we had reached the bottom here as FC had mentioned 10080 earlier and RSI was low so time to go long.

Point G RSI looking high as we have only moved up 20 points. S/R switch so exit and try a short.

RSI low again could this be the real bottom this time? Exit and go long.

FC had also mentioned the bounce off 10085'ish so wasn't surprised to see the price head skywards.

Point H - got out too early here, RSI hitting the 90's spooked me out and saw th R/S switch on RSI again. Didn't count the 5 waves D'oh! Divergence at H so short again.

Estimated the pullback should go to 33% of the 70 point rise so time to get out at 122.

Getting late in the day so didn't trade any further.

Got it just about right today for a change!

S/R switches aren't mentioned very much but I find they can be a good indicator when you look at them in their context. Divergence can also pay off but don't try this style of intra day trading if you are using Spread Betting, the spread will kill you.

Hope you all did well today.

Justyn.

Attachments

• chart.gif
    chart.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 234
Folks, I think DC2000 popping in is a good clue to where FC gets some of his figures :cheesy:
As I have decided not to trade during school hols I was not around today, But a v quick look suggests i would also have been looking for a similar low.
In addition if you recall the bit about trend days I posted about 2 weeks ago the MACD (histogram ) divergence at 1315 est was another confirmation of todays low, and would have maybe given you the confidence to take a slice of a decent trend reversal day.
Good luck tomorrow,
Legoland for me :cheesy: , deep joy

hi,
Comments by CM, FC, Justyn et al are very much appreciated, particularly the explanations after closing for trades taken that day.
I have a 5 fold approach which may be very different to some, and I would appreciate your comments.
1) Elliott Wave
2) MA volume showing resistive and supportive moving average volume from marketvolume.com
3) TA indicators (Adx, rsi, cci, macd and 30/100 EMA).
4) Multiple positioning. Essentially I feed in up to 4 positions over time at logical resistance and support levels, TA criteria, estimated wave counts or when there are significant resistive and supportive volume spikes.
5) News from Bloomberg and the usual weekly US economic reports.

The multiple positioning may be the most contentious because essentially I'm throwing good money after bad in a losing position. Of course, my stop losses are considerably larger than usual day trading and I keep positions open over night. These days I don't keep longs after hours due to the "terrorism factor".

I am using both IB (even I scalp sometimes!) and a spread better (with a 10 point spread). There are therefore both short term and medium term positions open at any one time. Interestingly I am making more money from spread betting than IB at the moment, presumably because I am closing really profitable positions too quickly using IB.

I know my approach is different and may not suit your thread but if you wish I could contribute.

Good luck to everyone today.

"Legoland for me , deep joy "

LOL Hampy I went on Monday and lost my hat on the log flume :-(

Hi, all my first contribution to this thread, sorry if I sound stale, I 've been viewing the thread for about 4-6 weeks and have been trading using the CM's approach which suits me very fine as before being introduced to it I was basically trading only using CCI. One thing I 've found recently is that when the RSI and CCI are both in divergence in the same direction , at the time price being under the 100 MA , eventually the price will bounce above and way beyond the 100MA. This is what kept me in a buy trade yesterday since 1:00-1:15 American time. I don;t know if this works all the time but it's my 2 cents , any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

ok guys, lets see if i can call today like yesterday (phat chance)

reckon we might pull back to about 10,122, before bombing north to 10,190 ish

am not trading this move though ,apart from a short i have on the FTSE from other methods i employ, and apart from holding on to the long from yesterday at 10,085.

FC

watch 10154 and 10145 and nortwards 10235 and 10245. 10268 is important and a fib no. Will retreat to about 10175. lets see what happens.

pick an number, any number lol.

tell you what Zarif. between us i think we have got today covered !! :)

reckon we might pull back to about 10,122, before bombing north to 10,190 ish

FC, I didn't realise you meant this would all happen in the space of 15 minutes!

madness eh? shame i didnt put my money where my mouth was today and stick an order in down there. im still waiting for a short signal above 10,260 ish.

anyone crazy enough to follow me and get a fill?

last hour has been a bit whippy though. whaddya reckon to 10,250+ tmr (looks like it might have to be a 100 point day!) before a bit of a sell off at the end and most of friday (would probably require crap economic data to do that)

:)

Whilst any input is appreciated, calling the action for the day has to be a hit or miss affair..... OK we all get it right some of the time, but none of u scan be fortune tellers, no matter how hard we try. Better to give an insight into SR levels etc, and see what happens....

GKB Go for it. I don't think any of us on this thread is stupid enough to close their eyes to another persons trading style.Myself included.

Sall Post away your findings. It is only with the input of new ideas and how they work can we all explore new possibilities.

The way to do this is only through hard work. No one is going to do it for you. The best way forward with any ideas is to use the years of intraday charts in the archives to see if your theories stand the test of back testing. Don't give up the first time you find a case where the test fails. You will not find the Holy Grail ( if you do, email me, I'll go halves.) You need to find whether your theory works more often than not...... Where it does not work, look for rules that may define these exceptions...... They may not be immediately clear, but as you find more, it may suddenly jump out in front of you..... For example, go check on ES volume to see if there are clues there.( i.e. lack of confirming volume) . This homework will take a long time and may be totally fruitless.... But from the exercises alone, you will learn a lot. Even if it is only an intuitive recognition of the waveforms that you know will reverse, but you cannot put down on paper the rules to express those conditions. This worked for me, it may not work for you...... If you don't try , you will never know.
An example of this is is the PD in an ever rising market..... the basic rules apply- get out on the third peak. But what of the never ending up trends that we have seen recently? Three sets of PD's, all getting higher highs.... How do you know not to exit? I don't know how to put it down on paper, but I know intuitively whether the move is likely to continue.I have to rely on experience and being in -synch with the market.
Finally, don't be fooled by the apparent simplicity of post market analysis. Calling it in real time is incredibly demanding, demonstrated by most peoples actual results.It is truly heart warming to see people post their days account, warts 'n' all. Firstly, they're not fooling themselves. Secondly, they are making themselves aware of the mistakes they made in front of their peers.Thirdly, one can relate to others reading of the market, and taking comfort from the fact that they were not the only one to take a trade or an exit at a particular point. Posting just your winners helps no one. We can all do that . Posting your losers is the most important way forward into understanding why we make the mistakes we do. None of us has to worry about the winners..... It's the losers you need to concentrate on. That's where you lose your shirt.

ChartMan said:
Finally, don't be fooled by the apparent simplicity of post market analysis. Calling it in real time is incredibly demanding, demonstrated by most peoples actual results.It is truly heart warming to see people post their days account, warts 'n' all. Firstly, they're not fooling themselves. Secondly, they are making themselves aware of the mistakes they made in front of their peers.Thirdly, one can relate to others reading of the market, and taking comfort from the fact that they were not the only one to take a trade or an exit at a particular point. Posting just your winners helps no one. We can all do that . Posting your losers is the most important way forward into understanding why we make the mistakes we do. None of us has to worry about the winners..... It's the losers you need to concentrate on. That's where you lose your shirt.

Wise words CM.....wise words....this and previous Dow Intraday threads have helped my trading tenfold...maybe not the place but thanks !!

Si

Quite a messy day IMO.

Kept out of early trading due to the ISM news due at 15:00 GMT. Then wasn't sure if the price would break or bounce off 200 so continued to stay out and we were into lunch time.

The news spike happened like a bolt of lightning and I was able to collect a few points on the way back up.

After the spike I decided to quit for the day as I wasn't sure how the indicators such as RSI would be affected and also any chance of seeing triangles or trends etc developing from earlier on were gone.

If you saw something I didn't, please let me know!

Justyn.