Dow Intraday Charts 04 Oct - 08 Oct

its ok trendie.

im fluent in peasant..

edit: - before a bunfight breaks out, i better stress that was a joke.

edit 2:- put in a cheeky day-trade long from 10,180. stop at 10,140...

Last edited:
still too early to tell.

will offload daytrade at 10,225-10,230 though as i dont want to be too exposed.....

er, 10,225 is pretty much where the trendline from yesterday is. id have waited til then to short..

draw a line accross the two main peaks on monday.

seems to be about 10,225 to me.

im just eyeballing it, so i may be a bit off.

FetteredChinos said:
er, 10,225 is pretty much where the trendline from yesterday is. id have waited til then to short..

draw a line accross the two main peaks on monday.

seems to be about 10,225 to me.

im just eyeballing it, so i may be a bit off.

OH NO !!
Never mind, I will just be giving back the 28 I made y-day.

dont worry trendie. you may be right after all.

i was just pointing out a possible point of resistance, and of course, since the line is sloping down, then so does the eventual resistance.

what was the rationale behind the trade?

FetteredChinos said:
what was the rationale behind the trade?

Cloud-cover pattern on 5 mins at 10,200/208.
Stochastics - I am trying to wean myself off them !!
Magic round number.
Overall trend, downwards.
( Perhaps the SL was too tight. )

ah right. dont worry about it then.

i just got the feeling that you were "having a punt".

whats the cloud-cover pattern. im not too hot on candlestick formations..

very similar to a engulfing pattern, except it doesnt engulf !!
The white up-candle is negated by the black down-cnadle immediately, and the tail/body closes lower then the lowest point of the white candle.

Truth be told, I wish I didnt read so much !!!
I wish I could just start off with 3, maybe 4 patterns, and trade them well.

I keep analysing the charts with stochastics, candlesticks, etc.
I wish I stopped doing this !!
I lose consistency if I keep changing my methodologies.

Doesnt matter - I am learning to impose stop-losses.

Shabba!

up she goes. all of a sudden it wakes up :)

10,250+close perhaps?

still looking for 10,300 tmr..

sorry to be nosey and butt in. (i use a DA platform to trade the FTSE future, but I'm thinking of opening an SB account to trade the Dow cash to hone my genesis skills!). Hence, i've been lurking on this thread.

the Dow just made a high of 10221.11, so how did you get stopped at 10225 trendie? are the spreads and bias that large?

Sledgehammer said:
sorry to be nosey and butt in. (i use a DA platform to trade the FTSE future, but I'm thinking of opening an SB account to trade the Dow cash to hone my genesis skills!). Hence, i've been lurking on this thread.

the Dow just made a high of 10221.11, so how did you get stopped at 10225 trendie? are the spreads and bias that large?

D4F: 5 point spread. Might have been a price-spike, or something. Anyway, it got triggered.

SledgeHammer

The SB prices can be some distance away from the Dow cash. For example at the moment I have a price of 168-173 on CapitalSpreads and 175-181 on IGindex. Don't know how D4F relates to the real cash price.

Was wondering if it possible to arb. Does anyone know anything about that?

Bill

Tuesday 5th October 2004

The bad results yesterday psyched me out today. I was determined not to take entries when the 100 ema was flat today, and for the long narrow period before lunch it served me very well. It makes obvious sense, you want to fade pullbacks in a trending market (where the 100 ema should act as support/resistance) and not a flat one (where it is likely to act as the centre line in a channel). The trouble is, I then seemed to become paralysed and missed the action when it finally started to move. If there is a holy grail for me at the moment it must be to keep out when the market is flat and get in when it is moving. It sounds so simple...

9:55 1) S 10189 as we actually seem to be in a downtrend at the moment. Held through numbers (again) and it moved nicely - hitting +19 at peak before exiting for a decent first trade.
10:09 EXIT: +10 (plus 1 at +3, 1 at +6). Not a great exit as right at the peak of the pull back. Could have got out lower on the PD on the low.

10m now O/S and right at its 100 ema. Yesterday's gap now closed. And sure enough, moves all the way back to 100 ema without a TLB back down.

10:36 Possible short on TLB down after the pullback to 100 ema but there was a lot of strength in that up move and with the 10m bouncing up of its 100 ema I will stand aside. It did move down a little but reversed back and moves over the 100 ema for first time in the day. Could be some indecision here as the 100 ema has gone dead flat. The 100 ema keeps knocking it back down, but only in a flat 10 point range. After an hour it finally broke down a little but without much follow through.

12:31 After two hours in a ten point or so range it breaks to upside and HOD and yesterday's LOD. Daily, 10m and 1 m now all above their 100 ema. But just slowly drifted all the way back after an ND just outside the upper 100 ema +15 line (a perfect trade for Bill I hope). Then sideways to downwards just below 100 ema. Could have taken a short on TLB which came really really good and was the trade of the day so far but this time (after taking far too many trades when the 100 ema was flat yesterday) I was too cautious.

14:15 Looking to get back in but starting to get some serious PD bottoms on RSI now.

Mmm - it's all very well sitting on the sidelines when it's flat but I still need to get back in when it starts moving.

14:30 Multiple PD with low right on the 64 on DJ Index. And up it shoots. Amazing! No counter trend entries for me at the moment though. (No entries at all come to mention it this after noon).

14:46 2) S 10162. Finally took one but there does seem to be quite a base building up. Stalled several times at +6 then reversed.
14:53 EXIT: +1 (plus 1 at +3, one at +6). 64 holding like a rock on the DJ!

+11 from 2 on main runner
+6 from 3's
+12 from 6's

+9 from main runner after commission
-31 for October so far after commission

Attachments

• 20041005ss.jpg
    20041005ss.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 176