Dow 2006

Matt321 said:
This is very interesting, although I think I'm being a bit thick. The guide says; "Looking at the order book, you will see that the left side shows the buy orders, and the right side the sell orders. The top price on the left side is the current bid; the top price on the right side is the current offer."

Now the price on the left is clearly the bid (1 tick lower) so why are they the BUY orders? :confused:

SS,

A bid is a price at which a buyer is willing to buy while an ask is a price at which a seller is willing to sell. However an aggressive buyer does not have to wait for someone to sell to him at his chosen (bid) price, instead he can pay the current best ask (and vice versa for aggressive sellers).

Thus the bid column contains a number of potential buyers who are hopeful that sellers will sell to them at a better price than they can currently buy at (i.e. the current best ask).

Of course posting a bid or ask does not necessarily mean a trader really wants to trade at that price. Often he will pretend to be a big buyer (bidder) but then pull his order before it is hit. Therein lies much potential for spoofing in the order book.

You're not being thick. Just remember when you buy at market you're accepting someone's offer to sell to you and when you sell you're accepting someone's bid to buy from you.

30-year mortgage above 6.5%
Rates march steadily higher, nearing 4-year plateau

CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- Mortgage rates moved higher in the week ending Thursday, with the benchmark 30-year loan approaching a four-year high, Freddie Mac said.
The national average rate on the 30-year mortgage hit 6.53% in the weekly Freddie Mac (FRE :
Freddie Mac

Last 60.52, -0.61, -1.0% ) survey, up from 6.49% a week ago. The 30-year has not been this high since July 2002. A year ago, the loan averaged 5.80%.

Jerry Olson said:
The DJIA broke out today and is heading toward my target of 11,650 soon...

the SOX also broke out as well i think we could see 560-600 very soon...

hope your doing well

Small blip Tuesday but otherwise pretty good thanks

LOL - June Crude now at a record $74.20 & the Dow up another 45pts !
Looks like the PPT have had a busy week.
However Techs not so happy. NDX down 0.4% & SOXX down 1.5%

Last edited:
Yes this is pretty unbelievable. I remember saying a about 10 days ago that I thought that Nymex at $68 pb would send the market down. Just shows that discipline must always trump conviction at the end of the day.

It does look as though, the market may be struggling to get higher. We are not getting the follow through.

I'm beginning to believe in this PPT thing a bit more. I mean, for the love of God, who can possibly think it is good to buy the market when Nymex is $74.84? All it takes is MMM and CAT to be up though, which is why the PPT can work.

How the hell can you have legalised market abuse, in the land of the free?

macbonzo said:
Yes this is pretty unbelievable. I remember saying a about 10 days ago that I thought that Nymex at $68 pb would send the market down. Just shows that discipline must always trump conviction at the end of the day.

It does look as though, the market may be struggling to get higher. We are not getting the follow through.

I'm beginning to believe in this PPT thing a bit more. I mean, for the love of God, who can possibly think it is good to buy the market when Nymex is $74.84? All it takes is MMM and CAT to be up though, which is why the PPT can work.

How the hell can you have legalised market abuse, in the land of the free?
Well I'm sure that The White House imcumbent would tell you that the PPT is there to protect the US from being undermined economically by external forces who now have a significant handle of both the US currency and asset base !

Dow now just below its open but the techs, NDX & SOXX, have really been hammered today and are down 1.3% and 2.3% respectively !

Interesting article from another BB - so don't know the source.

Ready For Anything
Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The prices of both oil and gold continue to rise; the former is now trading at nominal all-time highs, while the latter has been hitting new quarter-century highs day after day. This is excess liquidity coming home to roost. While the Federal Reserve continues to raise interest rates to mollify foreign central banks, it’s made it clear that any weakness in either the stock market or economy will be met with massive infusions of liquidity, and dollar-denominated debt will be inflated away.

The world is waking up to this, which is why oil and gold march inexorably higher and the long bond is tanking. This is inflation, and the rest of the world is acting accordingly. Today, Iran’s President Ahmadinejad said, "The global oil price has not reached its real value yet.” He’s right, of course. He knows that every dollar he receives for his oil today will be worth less tomorrow, so Iran (and OPEC) is demanding ever-higher prices for its only natural resource. The nerve, eh? We won’t take that lying down, which is why the marketing of Target Iran is in full swing. Our ability to print our way through debt, economic weakness, and preemptive wars is at stake.

You didn’t really think it was all about "WMD’s" did you?

If you’re wondering why the stock market acts well in the face of skyrocketing oil and various other problems, the answer is that stocks are doing exactly what the White House and Federal Reserve want them to do - for now. If your costs - food, healthcare, clothing, tuition, energy - are rising at double-digit rates every year, are you going to keep your savings in a money market fund or treasuries? You’ll be destroyed by inflation. So now, out of necessity and desperation, investors take more risk. Speculation increases. You start to see articles in the mainstream media like this one titled "3 Prime Picks from the Pink Sheets," a reference to the seedy underbelly of the stock market. You get "trading contests" on business news channels. You see a Wall Street pundit with his own daily TV show throwing chairs and screaming that he "needs you in this top pick." Of course, a select few benefit enormously from all this. When fiscal and monetary policy go crazy, the investment banks and brokers are like bears perched over a prime spot while the salmon are running. Right now the river is not water, but liquidity.

Make no mistake: ours is radical fiscal and monetary policy with an uncertain but inevitable & unpleasant end game. Few examples exist of advanced, industrialized nations resorting to this. It's an extreme example obviously, but the dynamic of 1920's Germany is similar in many ways. One of the best accounts of that period I’ve read is Sebastian Haffner’s Defying Hitler, a street-level account of the way in which an entire modern nation slowly loses its collective mind. This period in German history has long been a special interest of mine, and I consider this book a must-read. Buy it if you haven't read it. Describing the social and economic effects of inflation during 1923, Haffner writes on pages 55-56.

The cost of living began to spiral out of control. A pound of potatoes which yesterday had cost 50,000 marks now cost 100,000. The salary of 65,000 marks brought home the previous Friday was no longer sufficient to buy a pack of cigarettes on Tuesday.

What was to be done? Casting around, people found a life raft: shares. They were the only form of investment that kept pace---not all the time, and not all shares, yet on the whole they managed to keep up. So everyone dealt in shares. Every minor official, every employee, every shift worker became a shareholder. Day-to-day purchases were paid for by selling shares. On wage days there was a general stampede to the banks, and share prices shot up like rockets. The banks were bloated with wealth. Obscure new ones sprouted up like mushrooms and did a roaring trade. Every day the entire population studied the stock market listings. Sometimes some shares collapsed and thousands of people hurtled toward the abyss. In every shop, every factory, every school, share tips were whispered in one’s ear.

The old and unworldly had the worst of it. Many were driven to begging, many to suicide. The young and quick-witted did well. Overnight they became free, rich, and independent. It was a situation in which mental inertia and reliance on past experience were punished by starvation and death, but rapid appraisal of new situations and speed of reaction were rewarded with sudden, vast riches. The twenty-one-year-old bank director appeared on the scene, and also the high school senior who earned his living from the stock-market tips of his slightly older friends. He wore Oscar Wilde ties, organized champagne parties, and supported his embarrassed father.

That was Germany eighty-three years ago. Anything sound familiar?

So while Germany’s central bank inflated away the nation’s war debts and the prices of daily necessities skyrocketed, the stock market soared as people desperately tried to keep up. And so, Haffner writes, an entire nation became "ready for anything."

FWIW I do not believe this is the market top of the 4 year cycle forming right now as this forms after the Advance/Decline line peaks (we are still only slightly short of the last peak a couple of weeks ago) http://www.apsh80.dsl.pipex.com/advdec200406.gif

The VIX is bumping along the bottom at historic lows which means another intermediate top is forming and should be anywhere between 11450 - 11650 http://www.apsh80.dsl.pipex.com/vix200406.gif , then we should get a correction my guess is within the next 2 weeks. The next advance should generate a major market top as we should have acheived our peak with fewer advancing issues, also the major top appears months and months after the Utilities Index http://www.apsh80.dsl.pipex.com/util200406.gif. Full marks for anybody who can trade this top but I'm playing it safe and staying out for a while now until the picture becomes a bit clearer.

easytimes said:
The VIX is bumping along the bottom at historic lows which means another intermediate top is forming and should be anywhere between 11450 - 11650 http://www.apsh80.dsl.pipex.com/vix200406.gif , then we should get a correction my guess is within the next 2 weeks.

I guess "historic" is in the eye of the beholder. My history tells me that we are in a bull market until the VIX climbs - and then prices will go up until they don't anymore.

Attachments

• VIX_LT.GIF
    VIX_LT.GIF
    30.9 KB · Views: 156
ajaskey said:
I guess "historic" is in the eye of the beholder. My history tells me that we are in a bull market until the VIX climbs - and then prices will go up until they don't anymore.

Exactly this isn't THE market top, by the time the VIX moves up you would have missed the correction then reverse back up onto new highs and a new low on the VIX. There's still plenty of bull left on this cycle.

You need to be looking at the other indicators as well which do not confirm a major top.

easytimes said:
The VIX is bumping along the bottom at historic lows which means another intermediate top is forming and should be anywhere between 11450 - 11650

Ok. I was confused with the above statement as I don't see a correlation beween the level of the VIX and any kind of top in the DOW. The DOW may be forming an intermediate top but the VIX isn't effecting this one way or another.

From last Fed minutes
http://www.federalreserve.gov/fomc/minutes/20060328.htm

"Several meeting participants observed that, although the economy's sustainable potential output could not be observed directly or estimated with precision, historical patterns and recent data suggested that current levels of labor and product market resource utilization were in a zone consistent with little or no remaining economic slack. The recent behavior of core consumer prices seemed to indicate that any pass-through of higher energy and other commodity prices had been limited. In addition, productivity growth, moderate increases in compensation, contained inflation expectations, and international competition were helping to restrain unit labor costs and price pressures. Nonetheless, meeting participants generally remained concerned about the risk that possible increases in resource utilization, in combination with the elevated prices of energy and other commodities, could add to inflation pressures."

"In their discussion of prices, participants indicated that data over the intermeeting period, including measures of inflation expectations, suggested that underlying inflation was not in the process of moving higher. Crude oil prices, though volatile, had not risen appreciably in recent months on balance, and a flattening in energy prices was beginning to damp headline inflation. In addition, core consumer inflation was flat or even a bit lower by some measures. Some meeting participants expressed surprise at how little of the previous rise in energy prices appeared to have passed through into core inflation measures. However, with energy prices remaining high, and prices of some other commodities continuing to rise, the risk of at least a temporary impact on core inflation remained a concern."

"Some participants held that core inflation and inflation expectations were already toward the upper end of the range that they viewed as consistent with price stability, making them particularly vigilant about upside risks to inflation, especially given how costly it might be to bring inflation expectations back down if they were to rise."

10450-475 looks like it could be a ceiling on this cycle?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 208
After amassing a wealth of knowledge it dawns on me that for equality to prevail one must be cautios on the bear side. Correct me if I am wrong.

frugi said:
10450-475 looks like it could be a ceiling on this cycle?

Hi Frugi

you UK guys are probably sleeping now........... :cheesy:

After a small 1-2 day pullback this week i expect a big timne rally up and into the FOMC dates May 9th.

I would buy this dip for sure. 11,650 is still my target DOW, 2440 NAZ and 560 SOX

i am still bullish till i see the whites of their eyes...... :rolleyes:

have a nice evening

Racer said:
From last Fed minutes
http://www.federalreserve.gov/fomc/minutes/20060328.htm

"Several meeting participants observed that.......................the recent behavior of core consumer prices seemed to indicate that any pass-through of higher energy and other commodity prices had been limited. Nonetheless, meeting participants generally remained concerned about the risk that possible increases in resource utilization, in combination with the elevated prices of energy and other commodities, could add to inflation pressures."

"In their discussion of prices, participants indicated that data....................suggested that underlying inflation was not in the process of moving higher. Crude oil prices, though volatile, had not risen appreciably in recent months on balance, and a flattening in energy prices was beginning to damp headline inflation. In addition, core consumer inflation was flat or even a bit lower by some measures...................However, with energy prices remaining high, and prices of some other commodities continuing to rise, the risk of at least a temporary impact on core inflation remained a concern."

"Some participants held that core inflation and inflation expectations were already toward the upper end of the range that they viewed as consistent with price stability, making them particularly vigilant about upside risks to inflation, especially given how costly it might be to bring inflation expectations back down if they were to rise."
Well one can draw either positive or negative conclusions on the likelihood of future Fed interest rate hikes/pauses on these very heavily qualified statements.

Last edited:
Then, of course, we have this !

Emerging debt to monitor US data, bonds
Sunday April 23, 5:34 pm ET
By Manuela Badawy

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Soaring commodity prices and US economic data should capture the attention of emerging debt investors this week as any indication of rising inflation could push the Federal Reserve to keep raising interest rates. Emerging market bond prices are likely to trade in tandem with US Treasuries, which have zigzagged according to the strength or weakness of the economic data released.

Investors will eye US sales of existing and new homes as well as consumer confidence and sales of durable goods, yet the key figure this week should be the advance first-quarter gross domestic product report due on Friday. Economists surveyed in a Reuters poll forecast a rise of 4.9 percent in GDP in the first quarter. "People have discounted a very large publication of economic activity, possibly in the 5 percent range. The higher the number the more people are going to sense that the US economy has momentum entering the second quarter," said Enrique Alvarez, Latin America strategist at IDEAglobal.

But rising gasoline and crude oil prices could both slow the economy and fuel inflation, prompting the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates further, which could hurt bond prices. The US central bank has raised short-term interest rates 15 times since mid-2004, lifting its fed fund rate to 4.75 percent, aiming to keep the expansion going without allowing inflation to shoot up. Crude oil hit a record high in New York on Friday above $75 a barrel on fears of a possible supply disruption in Iran and low US gasoline supplies. New concerns about inflation, especially of oil prices, raises questions about the outlook for inflation in developed economies that could certainly upset that equation and drive emerging market spreads higher again. Higher US rates narrow the gap with high yielding emerging market debt, reducing their appeal over US Treasuries.

US sales data for existing homes and new construction for March to be released on Tuesday and Wednesday respectively should shed some light on the strength of the economy. "Everything that is coming out of the housing market continues to fall. We know there is a slowdown but we still don't know how much of that is going to pass through into the consumer side," Alvarez added.

NB: Oil remains above $75 this morning, Gold above $635 and the Nikkei closed down 2.8% (nearly a 500pt drop) !

kriesau said:
Well one can draw either positive or negative conclusions on the likelihood of future Fed interest rate hikes/pauses on these very heavily qualified statements.

Yes, strange that the media only had eyes for one thing ....... or not
:rolleyes:

Oil Producers, Consumers Say Prices Will Stay High for Years

April 23 (Bloomberg) -- Oil producers and consumers said oil prices will stay high during the next few years before companies add crude output and refining capacity. Crude oil will average $60 to $65 a barrel, OPEC President Edmund Daukoru told reporters in Doha, Qatar, where he's attending a meeting of ministers and company executives from producer and consumer nations. "Even with the spare capacity plans currently in place, this will not keep oil prices from being volatile,'' European Union Energy Commissioner Andris Piebalgs said today, declining to give a range. That will last until 2010, said Piebalgs.

Oil prices have climbed 23 percent to more than $75 a barrel this year amid concern a political standoff with Iran may lead to armed conflict, possibly curbing exports from the world's second- largest holder of oil reserves. An insurgency in Nigeria, Africa's largest oil producer, has cut supplies by 25 percent. The world's biggest oil producing nations, including Saudi Arabia, and consuming countries such as China, India and the U.S. are meeting in Qatar this weekend.

Energy ministers from the U.S. and Iranian governments are also attending the three-day International Energy Forum which opened in Doha yesterday. Mounting political tensions between the two countries concerning the Islamic nation's nuclear research helped push oil in New York to a record intraday price of $75.35 a barrel on April 21.