Dow 2006

agreed.. its down again on monday as far as i can tell...

might get tempted by a long towards the end of wednesday though..

FC

I trade the Dow with CMC but I am seriously looking at changing over from SB to a interactive broker. Does anyone have any recommendations

Thanks

Rustic

frugi said:
? :rolleyes: (at Rudeboy).

I use 4-10 point stops during the day, but sometimes allow larger ones with fewer lots for overnights with bigger targets.

Which part of my being stopped out at 693 do you find unlikely? :)

Bez,

Egg of columbus tongue? Are my eyes deceiving me? That't the best name for a pattern I've heard yet. Excellent. :cheesy:

Not sure if I've missed something in the thread but are you saying you trade the Dow with 4-10 stops - seems aweful tight?

solentsurfer said:
Not sure if I've missed something in the thread but are you saying you trade the Dow with 4-10 stops - seems aweful tight?

Depends on whether you are trading the futures ...YM.. or spreadbetting

Spreadbetting, yes those stops would probably be tiggered by the spread! So if you are daytrading think again about using a spreadbet company.

FWIW my calc shows the S&P needs to move another 28 points down applying the same calc to the Dow gives 10408 target

Rising Support from 2003

Hello all, my first post here.
Got 60 pips of the Friday fall. And I'm going to watch Monday closely for a bounce.

Does anyone agree that the weekly chart rising support from late 2003 touching 9200, late 2004 touching 9600, and late 2005 touching just above 10000 gives support in theory at around 10250 currently. I think this would be a great entry with stop around the last touch at 10000.

So risk reward from 10250? With stop set at 10000 -250 pips, or possible rise back to exit set at 11000 level +750 pips, giving 3 to 1 ratio profit/loss ratio.

Anyone else think this is a good trade if 10250 is hit?

Note : 10250 was a choppy consolidation level in Oct 2005, off a bounce from 10100, giving some protection to a 10250 entry stopped below this level at 10000.

EGO2
P.S. I know it's bad to trade such round numbers where all the triggers are, so lets assume 25pip adjustments here or there! ;)

Last edited:
VZ
I don't know how much this will affect VZ price?
"Several of Vodafone’s 10 largest shareholders have called for the mobile-phone group to sell its American business — a disposal that could raise £25bn, writes the Sunday Times.

Vodafone owns a 45% stake in Verizon Wireless, a fast-growing network operator with 50m subscribers, but has no management control. Verizon has stopped paying it dividends and uses a different brand and network technology. "

dc2000 said:
FWIW my calc shows the S&P needs to move another 28 points down applying the same calc to the Dow gives 10408 target
Needs to break the next support level around 10600 first if it's going to approach that target area.
Be very happy if it does since I'm short from 10825 :D
Have moved my stop down to lock in some profit in case we see a reactive bounce on Monday.
However we might just see some sideways consolidation on Monday.
Nikkei might give some guidance on this tonight.

Racer said:
Housing starts fall to 9-month low

Rest of article
Even more !

U.S. Housing Is Slowing, Consumption Is Next
spacer.GIF
10:32:00, January 20, 2006
spacer.GIF
PRE-20060120.GIF
A cooling in U.S. housing activity is underway and should coincide with a consumer spending slowdown.

Recent data confirm that the U.S. economy is slowing. The January U.S. home builders’ survey was unchanged from the previous month, failing to rebound after steep losses in late 2005. Meanwhile, both housing starts and new permits were down sharply in December, underscoring the comments in yesterday’s Fed Beige Book that housing activity is cooling in most districts. Housing affordability has eroded significantly due to sky-high house prices and, to a lesser extent, higher mortgage rates. Real consumption growth tends to weaken after affordability has significantly declined.

Bottom line: with housing cooling, a replay of the 1995 mid-expansion economic slowdown looms.

I would be interested to know what peoples views are of the Dow's current ATR and if anything can be read into it (Apart from it making it a tad trickier for intra day trading). Currently running at around only 80 pts, falling steadily since November - although Friday and possibly next week will up this a bit!!

Only have raw data for the last 3 years so can't see any pattern. Probably just a sign that's it's going to shoot off one way or another :confused:

Last edited:
Dow ATR

solentsurfer said:
I would be interested to know what peoples views are of the Dow's current ATR and if anything can be read into it (Apart from it making it a tad trickier for intra day trading). Currently running at around only 80 pts, falling steadily since November - although Friday and possibly next week will up this a bit!!

Only have raw data for the last 3 years so can't see any pattern. Probably just a sign that's it's going to shoot off one way or another :confused:

POss 99 points = 127 point stop required
regards :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The tech sector (particularly semis) struggling to keep their head above water. I think there is some concern with what TXN might come out with after the bell. Also the healthcare sector has turned negative.

My guess is that we will see another push up after lunch. (Unless Nas goes negative again)

macbonzo said:
The tech sector (particularly semis) struggling to keep their head above water. I think there is some concern with what TXN might come out with after the bell. Also the healthcare sector has turned negative.

My guess is that we will see another push up after lunch. (Unless Nas goes negative again)
Texas off 0.5% this morning but Intel is down 2%. Other Techs seem to be holding up with the SOXX up nearly 0.5%.
With oil just over $68 the PM Dow is still in the balance !

I hadn't noticed oil creeping up. Pretty tight stuff. We are almost playing a game of guess the figure with each company's results. Mind you if oil get much higher, the results will take a back seat.