Dow 2006

I once had an £80 a point short that went against me and I did not close it but hoped that it would come back, it did eventually, but at some point I was some 200 points down, talk about magic transe, I did spend some sleepless nights

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- U.S. consumer confidence ended a three-month gaining streak in February, falling to 101.7 from a revised January level of 106.8, the Conference Board said Tuesday. The expectations index fell to its lowest level since March 2003, to 83.3 in February from 92.1 in January. The present situation index rose to a four-and-a-half year high of 129.3 in February from 128.8 in January. The group's consumer research director said declining expectations may cloud the economic outlook for the rest of 2006.

it was fun when I closed my shorts on both dow and sp, and it wasn't when I realised I closed them too early,

still a profit is a profit is a profit :cheesy:

...and not letting your winners to run is stupid, is stupid, is stupid :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
but what if we now turn and what would have been a good trade short goes the opposite way ?

counter trend trading is about taking a quick reasonable profit IMO

Mark,
You are not alone.. I am here with you.... ( Michael Jackson's song )
:cheesy:

I too got out a little early - 11020 - now long in March contract with stops at 10940 cash equiv. Also long daily looking for a turn - hopefully not an Arctic one!!

I know, but I could have waited a tad longer, there was no pressure to close

dc,

did you get your entry point?

Well, I'm in it for the long run so still short but wishing I had added at 11,130 last night and/or 11,070 today.

Ah well - will sleep a little happier today.

dc2000 said:
still am

and a drop to 10941 wouldnt phase me at all
Support at 11000 has held so far. Are you still expecting it to hit 11200 this week ?

oh those were the days...big 20pt size red font..."sell,sell this will be 50 points shorter ..100% guranteed"....10 mins later "added more at the top"......5 mins later "short some more..woo hoo!"...2 mins later "closed for plus 1" , 30 points higher than original entry. "off to meet my clients....I manage vast sums of money you know...anyone want to come to my seminar" :p

I am putting a trailing stop ( 2 S&P points ) on my shorts rather than taking a profit.

I can do big fonts

But alas I only trade with my own money and I loose any sleep at all

Hooya said:
oh those were the days...big 20pt size red font..."sell,sell this will be 50 points shorter ..100% guranteed"....10 mins later "added more at the top"......5 mins later "short some more..woo hoo!"...2 mins later "closed for plus 1" , 30 points higher than original entry. "off to meet my clients....I manage vast sums of money you know...anyone want to come to my seminar" :p

I don't think your comparison of dc's comments today with the above is fair. He only said "this is fun" and he may have been long and make that comment.

I am sure dc can defend himself, but if we are not careful we can start a slagging match and this would not serve any useful purpose