Do you follow the news?

I'm the complete opposite, I think key news drives markets and if you understand it you can really profit.

Don't get me wrong I think charts are very important but to me, their use is normally related to entry and exit points particularly on the biggest of days or to get on the back of the largest market moves.

I'll give you an example. Australian fixed income opened pretty high today, I looked at some of the aussie bank bill levels and just laughed to myself. Why? QE3 had just been announced yet March bills (for example) opened at 97.00 which implies Aussie rates at 3% in march (excluding cost of carry). Yeah right, QE3 has just been announced, commodities will rise as the dollar falls, that means inflation rises for a country like Australia (where rates are currently 3.5%). Sell and sell more.....which is what I did. Another example is Draghi's, "we will do whatever it takes" to save the EU. Took off my EURUSD short and went small long. Waited for the ECB meeting the next week to scope out exactly how committed he was and there was enough detail to convince me that he meant what he said. Bought EURUSD and held, working for me at the moment.

Honestly, I think in the current central bank-tastic era that we are living in, not following the news is just (and i use my words carefully)...F**KING STUPID.

but then and again, there are many different ways to skin a cat so if not following the news works then great.

I never follow or read any news, but I'm aware of them. My master has done the same for 20+ years. A chart tells a 1000 words, you just have to know the "trading alphabet".)

Your "MASTER !!" - What are you - a family pet ? :LOL:

I never follow or read any news, but I'm aware of them. My master has done the same for 20+ years. A chart tells a 1000 words, you just have to know the "trading alphabet".)

So try trading the charts 5 minutes before the NFP's then ;)

So try trading the charts 5 minutes before the NFP's then ;)

And I will. Thank you. Been doing that before. NFP is quite tradable if you know what your doing. Just stay with the direction of main move for the day and you will be fine.

Last edited:
Yeah, NFP's used to be scary, but not for the last couple of years - more of a fizz than a bang.