Do you Favour Longs or Shorts?

How successful are your long trades compared to you short trades?

• Longs trades are nearly always more successful

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • Long trades are usually more successful

Votes: 16 12.4%
  • About half and half

Votes: 50 38.8%
  • Short trades are usually more successful

Votes: 32 24.8%
  • Short trades are nearly always more successul

Votes: 17 13.2%

• Total voters
laptop1 said:
Do you Favour Longs or Shorts?

I Favour the corret side.

that is the best answer so far. lol

i do find the longs to be slower, though, and much more prone to trade management mistakes.

j

jacinto said:
that is the best answer so far. lol

i do find the longs to be slower, though, and much more prone to trade management mistakes.

j

correct? correct for how long? 2 minutes? 2 days? it's all relative of course, and being "wrong" for 3 minutes waiting to come good is of course the reason so many cop out of the game; maintaining that wonderful balance of calling and admitting the trades you don't time perfectly to be incorrect.

Definitely short it less time to make more money. because market always fall faster and rising slowly.

rockseller said:
Definitely short it less time to make more money. because market always fall faster and rising slowly.
this maybe the case for indices and stocks
but certainly not for commodities
grains have been lock limit up on several occasions i can't remember in the last few years being lock limit down even on a downtrend.
also you have to be aware that with most commodities it works opposite to stocks
stocks if the co is doing well then chances are it will rise but with commodities especially the seasonals a lack of product or risk of effecting delivery makes the markets go to the moon

Last edited:
its true for almost evrywhere,...long u have to wait, and i can become a daddy in the meantime,...especially if u are such a caracter like me, who wonts 500 buks in a minute...lol.....this week oil inventory , pushed it from 59.20 to 56.80 in 2,3 hours,...(my broker ofcourse wanted to go long at 59.20..., never listen to ur brokers,...never!!!) )thats what im talking about,...if u went long @ 57,..u would have to wait 2 days,...right today its again @ 60 level......so its 2 days or 2 hours,..u can play both no problem,....but not me..i hate going long....1 more thing i need to add...i like to have profit before others do :)

andycan said:
this maybe the case for indices and stocks
but certainly not for commodities
grains have been lock limit up on several occasions i can't remember in the last few years being lock limit down even on a downtrend.
also you have to be aware that with most commodities it works opposite to stocks
stocks if the co is doing well then chances are it will rise but with commodities especially the seasonals a lack of product or risk of effecting delivery makes the markets go to the moon
Agreed Andy, it depends a lot on the market. Oil for example, I'm always cautious being short going into a weekend because the chances of something kicking off in the Middle East or elsewhere, with the markets closed.... There's not much that's going to cause an equivalent move to the downside. Your grain examples are also good ones: like you I can't remember a limit down day, but several recent limit ups. Other markets, like forex and individual stocks, I have no inbuilt bias.

About the time the cheeks of my asre kissed the back of my knees I felt longs was the way to go