Dividend witholdig tax

osho67

IB has charged me 15% dividend witholding tax. Do UK citizens have to pay this tax? Can I reclaim it back or is it just another expense which is unavoidable?Any feedback much appreciated. Thanks

dont think so. depends on your status, ie if you trade as a registered company etc.

you may want to look on the IR website for such an engrossing subject as DTR (Double Tax relief)

as a registered company, you are entitled to this, but for an individual the rules may be different.

others will probably be better placed to comment. I steer well clear of personal taxation. its a bloody minefield.

fc

When I purchased some Anglo Irish Bank shares a few years back I had to fill in a form so I would not be charged dividend witholding tax of 15%. I don't believe you can claim it back.
I think it has something to do with foreign shares being taxed in your country of residence.
I'm not sure of the detail but you might need to request a form from the company you own shares in.
Or have a chat we IB......

Does anyone else have better info?

Cheers
C

I thought so many people on this board are trading US stocks. Do uk nationals have to pay 15% tax on dividends?. Or are they exempt?

I have raised this matter with IB and they donot know as well and they have raised the querry with tax advisors. I will post the response when I get it.