Digital camera owners? Anyone?

acronym

Looking for recommendations/feedback for digicams, just wondering if anyone owns one (seems nearly everyone does) and whether you are actually happy with it.

Having a heck of a time making a choice, seems they all have similar flaws regarding paltry sensor size/performance in low light conditions.

And, i dont really want to spend a lot on something that, at the end of the day, relies on tiny, fragile bits to function, (they all do, just a matter of degrees) and I dont want an dslr at the moment.

Looking at sony DSC w150, (or others in the w series, even the w55, but more zoom would be nice-have had good feedback on the software with sony's, crucial really)
Canon A720 IS (probably leading for price, features, zoom)

panasonic lumix FZ8, well priced for the features, given its already superceded by the FZ 18 (etc) but maybe to darn fiddly just looking at it, same as the S5 canon.

Any other contenders? Have considered the fz 18, powershot S5 , olympus superzooms (forget it, proprietary battery, incomprehensible menu, no better shots than anything else) but looking at the "bridge" camera market, well......the fragile, fiddly bits, for the price, are a bit of a turn off.
So are lens caps, owned a film slr, hated it really.

Ideas, suggestions?

Hi, I've got a Canon A710 IS, which is a previous model to the one your looking at, yes good camera, auto and manual everything but I don't like the auto focus much, it's ok for subjects that have no depth but if you are taking, lets say, a panoramic scene with a lot of foreground and you want to have important bits in focus in the background, it's nigh on hopeless and locks on to the nearest target. I think the big problem is the zoom and shutter button are one control. My other digi, a Nikon coolpix 950 can often take sharper pics even though it's only a 2 megapixel job, because the zoom control and shutter button are separate, so I can easily and quickly zoom in to what needs to be in focus and sharp, press the shutter to focus and lock, zoom out , take the shot. Perhaps one day I'll learn how to use the Canon properly and get the best out of it.

Hi, I've got a Canon A710 IS, which is a previous model to the one your looking at, yes good camera, auto and manual everything but I don't like the auto focus much, it's ok for subjects that have no depth but if you are taking, lets say, a panoramic scene with a lot of foreground and you want to have important bits in focus in the background, it's nigh on hopeless and locks on to the nearest target. I think the big problem is the zoom and shutter button are one control. My other digi, a Nikon coolpix 950 can often take sharper pics even though it's only a 2 megapixel job, because the zoom control and shutter button are separate, so I can easily and quickly zoom in to what needs to be in focus and sharp, press the shutter to focus and lock, zoom out , take the shot. Perhaps one day I'll learn how to use the Canon properly and get the best out of it.

Ah, ****, so , as i expected, ok for holiday snaps etc, but substandard for much more.
Doesnt bother me, for the price, sure, i need to mention that i think.

As stated , i had a slr, and it ****ted me up the wall. terrible, awful camera.

canon IXUS 70

Canon IXUS 70.......small comact fits in your **** pocket, used mine on a recent trip to perth WA.......fab place, but it depends on what you want to do with your camera....
G'day and good luck with your choice......

Canon IXUS 70.......small comact fits in your **** pocket, used mine on a recent trip to perth WA.......fab place, but it depends on what you want to do with your camera....
G'day and good luck with your choice......

the **** was supposed to be SHIRT POCKET ??????? dont understand what happened there....

No, me either, the swear filter here is quite miraculous.

****, bugger, poop.

Yeah, there are so many choices, i have decided against a bridge camera, too many things and bits, as much as i might like messing around with an slr again, forget it, easy sailing is what i need at this point.

Aargh-well, i figured i will be disappointed with image quality no matter what, and liking the potential of ridiculous zoom, i ordered a panasonic lumix Z-18. Maybe get here next week, geez, i dont know.

This is my first foray into digital camerii (i know, that's not an actual word) and i always remember thinking, with my slr, "gee, if i had more zoom, i could take that shot", so , here's where i ended up.
Crazy, probably unusable zoom, but there it is, i will report back on this particular device, in a few weeks time.
Thanks all, and enjoy your digital photography:)

No, me either, the swear filter here is quite miraculous.

****, bugger, poop.

Yeah, there are so many choices, i have decided against a bridge camera, too many things and bits, as much as i might like messing around with an slr again, forget it, easy sailing is what i need at this point.

Well, I got a bridge camera, Panasonic lumix FZ-18. *Ahem*, after stating i had gone against the idea.

However, I'm very impressed so far, bog easy to use in standard Ai mode, crazy zoom, which i like very much, and not having an auto flash override i like too, i want to decide when flash is appropriate, thanks.
Its featherweight, feels like a kids toy actually, yet seems to have all the bits in the right places. I was concerned by fiddly buttons, thats an issue with any camera these days it seems, BUT this is actually big enough to get a decent grip on it, so that's a plus right away.

So far, very impressed, and i haven't even got into the tricks or settings that would get better, on average, shots with this rig.

As a point and shoot, its fast start up, fast focusing, fast zooming,virtually silent, Vs my old film slr-I lost a lot of shots from the focus-hunting/out of focus warning beeps, this thing is.......quiet. Very quiet. Virtually silent, actually.

Thus far, it's a revelation of sorts, the software isn't the best by any means, but i have paint.net which fixed red-eye, where the Panasonic piece of junk software didn't, so, this is the digital age after all.

Very impressed, so far. It can focus faster on auto than i could with my slr, on manual-maybe Ai is getting somewhere, that's actually useful.

Only drawback, is finding a decent form fitting/truly compact case for a camera like this, but i got a case-logic something or other, fits fine, and having carted around an SLR for so long, with a fraction of the zoom-it's not a bad compromise, IMO, it makes you aware you are packing serious camera, that's not a bad thing, ultimately.