Difference between a method and system

Mohican

Hi guys,

What's the difference between a trading method and system? Or are they the same :eek:

One way of looking at it is that a method is the techniques used to determine entries and exits. A system could be seen as being more comprehensive in terms of also including money management, position sizing, etc.

Mohican said:
Hi guys,

What's the difference between a trading method and system? Or are they the same :eek:

Depends upon your use of terminology.
To me a system refers to the mechanics and is the part that can be programmed
through your PC, while a method refers to your overall style of trading.

I tend to view trading as defined by strategy and system.
My strategy, affectionately known as RC ( rat cunning) is too complex to be
programmed in todo as it requires judgement calls based on the prevailing market conditions.

The repetitive segments are programmed and serve as alerts to me simply so I do not need
to run the same calculations each time that I am considering a turning point.
( I always enter on stop)

Technique is art

Hybrid Thread

A system is a collection of interacting subsystems, whereas a technique is a way of doing something.

There might be some kind of overlapping repetitive movements that you use to get a car moving. The line that you choose in a corner depends upon your technique.
commanderco said:
Method refers to your overall style ...

... repetitive segments are programmed

A System has a set of rules.A method has a set of rules to choose from , applying which rule suits the situation.

but who's mr farts ??????

Anybody who can make you laugh and give you an answer.Do you know the answer?

I think I have found the answer for trading

A method or methods are part of a system , so a system can have many methods , but a method can also have many micro systems?

Last edited:
This thread has been dead for over eight years.
You and your alter ego, Walter Mitty, should join the same institution, maybe share the cost of therapy and basic literacy:cheesy:

Why should I join there , when I can get similar therapies here , or same result for free?

The content manager should improve the content , as after eight there is no clarity.

Anybody who can make you laugh and give you an answer.Do you know the answer?

I think I have found the answer for trading

A method or methods are part of a system , so a system can have many methods , but a method can also have many micro systems?

ah right, ok i just thought someone had posted and you replied to them. they then thought better of it and pulled their post, that's what it looked like from your posts.

no i have no answer. your answer to the thread question is as good as any.

for me, an answer is irrelevant in any case, as i feel the terms used ie method, system, strategy etc etc are used differently by many people. whatever anyone does to capture moves it matters not which pigeon hole name it's filed under.

and whos Mr farts ?........what is going on here ?......hahahaha

It's just semantics, everyone will have their own definition and they will overlap.

if at some point this potentially mult-page thread emerges with a 'winner' who proves his definition is right above all others....

Ask yourself...

Will it make any difference to your trading?

Ask yourself...

Will it make any difference to your trading?

It might if you are a trading vendor.

If a vendor sells a system, with clear unambiguous rules there's nowhere to hide. A method on the other hand leaves some room for vendor like lulz and shinnangins

Come on, you know this stuff :p

DionysusToast has a very interesting signature very relevant to this thread:
Quote:
"I cannot see., however why we should expect to find a "system" which will work in the stock market; surely the possibilities of profits for the student justify the time and effort required to learn market interpretation"...Humphrey B Neill - 1931.

I hope the person asking the initial question/anyone answering understands the above first.....usually not the case.

Last edited:
I would say that a trading method is a procedure, technique or a way of doing things. They are conformed under a fixed plan of action while trading system is a collection of detailed methods, practices and routines that is formulated to perform specific instructions, duties and solving a problem.