Diary of a swing spread better

hungvir said:
Many thanks, Don!

How close do you think you're to moving from your demo account to a real one?! IMO, the closer you're the sooner you would need to adjust your bet size to match what you're going to do for real. Most of my losses resulted from just two ten pound per point bets on the DOW. And now I only bet from 20p to one pound and it's really a daunting task to go back to year zero.

Later,

Hung

sticking with the demo for a while I wont move to the real world until I can prove a strategy can cut it. and grow the account if I can get past this stage ok then its going to be £1 a point or less as I believe Capital Spreads allows $1 a point.

A perfect explanation Split thank you :cheesy:

Don

:)

QUOTE=Splitlink]Hung, I've just remember that you trade breakouts, don't you? That might mean that you could be better off
by using a numerical stop like you say, instead of going right down to the low. Sometimes the low is a hell of a long way down.

Split[/QUOTE]

That's right. Sometimes there're more than a hundred points between the low and the high.

Regarding my 10 point plus confirmation from the low and the high for entries, it's there to make sure all the stop gunning (and head flaking??? .. I've heard of it but can't remember what it's called) are almost out of the question.

Normally, my target would be in excess of 100 points so it won't be much of an issue.

Best,

Hung

don_h said:
sticking with the demo for a while I wont move to the real world until I can prove a strategy can cut it. and grow the account if I can get past this stage ok then its going to be £1 a point or less as I believe Capital Spreads allows $1 a point.

A perfect explanation Split thank you :cheesy:

Don

I look forward to welcoming you to the spreadbetting academy :)

Apart from stake size, the volatility of the indices and shares that you're going to trade are also important. Someone already pointed out that if you trade TESCO which is now in the 200-300 range, the maximum you can lose is just that 200-300 quids if you bet a pound a point. And it rarely moves more than 20-30 points a day.

As you're more interested in the DOW than anything else, it will be surely a different story.

All the best with your strategy testing and developing!

Hung

hungvir said:
I look forward to welcoming you to the spreadbetting academy :)

Apart from stake size, the volatility of the indices and shares that you're going to trade are also important. Someone already pointed out that if you trade TESCO which is now in the 200-300 range, the maximum you can lose is just that 200-300 quids if you bet a pound a point. And it rarely moves more than 20-30 points a day.

As you're more interested in the DOW than anything else, it will be surely a different story.

All the best with your strategy testing and developing!

Hung

Yes, perhaps Don might try those, at first, when he goes live. although they can have their surprises, like all shares.

I take your point with the 10 point stop. Perhaps mine are too close.

Split

hungvir said:
AZN has dropped for three days now and I am going to buy it if it coud head up.

My stop buy order for the FTSE has been adjusted.

EMG earned me another 14 points today. This after all is one of the darlings of the City at the moment. For every profit taker and shorter, there would be a buyer.

The FTSE buy order was filled and I am up by just a point. EMG's rising another 20 points this morning. I expect it to dip after a series of up days and will trail my stop sell accordingly.

Attachments

• man and ftse.jpg
    man and ftse.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 119
Bought MKS again at 610, stop loss at 578.

For all the talks about the market's about to turn around, nobody knows when and how much more is still there to make before it actually turns.

hungvir said:
Bought MKS again at 610, stop loss at 578.

For all the talks about the market's about to turn around, nobody knows when and how much more is still there to make before it actually turns.

My shorts are losing me about the same as my longs are making me points. Frankly, bored stiff ,and have sold everything for a net loss of 3 points on the day.

One of my main problems is that I am looking at too many shares. I am going to try to remedy that for next week and see if I can get a watch list of no more than three.

Am in a difficult mood :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: Will try to improve before the weekend

Split

Splitlink said:
My shorts are losing me about the same as my longs are making me points. Frankly, bored stiff ,and have sold everything for a net loss of 3 points on the day.

One of my main problems is that I am looking at too many shares. I am going to try to remedy that for next week and see if I can get a watch list of no more than three.

Am in a difficult mood :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: Will try to improve before the weekend

Split

Split,

Every biz and everybody has their bad days! As long as you know what did not work so well, you'll be coining it again tomorrow :)

Cheers,

Hung

Effkay said:
anyone else get murdered on Alliance and leicester?

Not me. It went up 74 points as we speak. You must have shorted it then :?:

Hope you've cut your losses and run.

Best,

Hung

What a good Friday!

This is the first time I earned more than 100 points within a day. All my three longs, EMG, FTSE and MKS were up considerably. Will think about where to move my stops next.

Attachments

• emg.jpg
    emg.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 139
  • ftse.jpg
    ftse.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 124
  • mks.jpg
    mks.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 109
Well done, Hungy. But this next dicision will make or break you. Will you be able to handle your own style and method or will the scared greed factor kick in. Crux? You better believe it matey. Be cool and be wise. Good luck.

hi guys just thought i'd jump on board for this one as i swing as well strictly dow and ftse for me, currently long the ftse from 6024 and short the dow at 5014 (dont ask y long story)

Happy trading

crystalballs said:
Well done, Hungy. But this next dicision will make or break you. Will you be able to handle your own style and method or will the scared greed factor kick in. Crux? You better believe it matey. Be cool and be wise. Good luck.

Thanks very much, Crystalballs! I appreciate your post.

I am excited (but not overly) with the profit but I know the coming Monday can be a totally different story. I am not in a hurry to move my stop loss but I am also keen to move them to break even as soon as possible.

And I believe we make our own luck (or bad luck).

Good trading,

Hung

Elefteros said:
hi guys just thought i'd jump on board for this one as i swing as well strictly dow and ftse for me, currently long the ftse from 6024 and short the dow at 5014 (dont ask y long story)

Happy trading

I wonder how long it's going to be, Elefteros :) You have the whole weekend to tell us :)

I am particularly intrigued by your DOW short.

Best,

Hung

Hungy, if you can't be cool and wise, you're thinking too much about the dosh on the table. If you're thinking too much about the dosh on the table then you're money management is all tits up. Anything else and it's back to the drawing board with your method. I won't pester you anymore, like i say, good luck with it all. Enjoy.

crystalballs said:
Hungy, if you can't be cool and wise, you're thinking too much about the dosh on the table. If you're thinking too much about the dosh on the table then you're money management is all tits up. Anything else and it's back to the drawing board with your method. I won't pester you anymore, like i say, good luck with it all. Enjoy.

Crystalballs,

Thank you and don't worry. I paid my fee (I thought I would not but...) and have bought my cool :)

I think I'll be alright in this trending market. Will have to think more about range trading though.

See you around and enjoy your weekend!

H

hungvir said:
What a good Friday!

This is the first time I earned more than 100 points within a day. All my three longs, EMG, FTSE and MKS were up considerably. Will think about where to move my stops next.

well done indeed hung superior stuff, caught the uptrend just right. At least you now have time over the weekend to plan your next move :D

Don

hungvir said:
What a good Friday!

Congratulations, mate. That has made me feel better!

Split