Best Thread Debunking Fibonacci's Code...

First: I'm not speaking english correctly. Please, be tolerante, and if You don't understand anything, ask.
I'm researching the fibonacci numbers and systems in other areas. (mainly in music)
My view is, that as it is teached, it is a little far from the reality.
I tell you the basic theory begind the fibonacci.
Every system consists of some of similarities. (Think about very-very simple things.)
There is some basic ratio, that is quite frequent in the life. The first is the 1:1 ratio (later:1.0 ratio), that is a similarity between the two part. The second is the 1.618:1 ratio (later: 1.618 ratio), and in it there is similarity in the ratios. (1.618/1 = (1+1.618)/1.618)
The 1.0 ratio is the 0.5 and 2.0 level of fibonacci tool. (0.5 level is actually 0.5:0.5 ratio, and 2.0 level is 1:1 ratio, each is similar to 1.0 ratio) You say, it is a fibonacci level, but it is really not. Fibonacci was a rabbit breeder, and in the breeding he noticed the fibonacci sequence: 2,3,5,8,etc. This sequence is not connected with the 1:1 ratio retracement. It is only connected with the 1.618 ratio.
The fibonacci levels are the 0.382 (0.618 + 0.382 = 1; 0.618/0.382 = 1.618), 0.618 (1/0.618 = 1.618), 1.618 (1.618/1 = 1.618), and 2.618 (1+1.618 = 2.618; 1.618/1 = 1.618).
In an other approach:
The golden ratio is consists of three distance: A,B and C. B is beside to A, and C is A+B. There is two ratio. One is between A and B, and one is between B and C. (There is a third, between A and C, but now it is not relevant)
----- for matematicians: -----
If the A:B = B:C, and x is the ratio,
B = 1, A=1/x, C=1*x. A+B=C, so 1/x+1=x. If you organize it, You get this: ( - x^2) + x + 1 = 0.
This is a second level equation, and the result is x = (1+sqrt(5))/2 = 1.618
sqrt() = square root
----------------------------------
So, the two ratio, B:A and C:B is 1.618:1.
Now we can get the four fibonacci level from this.
If C=1, A = 0.382, B = 0.618.
If B=1, C = 1.618, A = 0.618 and A is belong to B, so the level that we use, is actually equal to C.
If A=1, C = 2.618, B = 1.618 and B is belong to A, so the level that we use is actually equal to C.
I hope, I'm understandable.
For this reason, I use the following fibonacci levels: (it includes the non-fibonacci 1:1 ratio also)
0.382; 0.5; 0.618; 1.618 (and the mirror of it: -0.618); 2.0 (and the mirror of it: -1.0); 2.618 (and the mirror of it: -1.618)
And as I use it: Not that set the two line to the top and bottom, and wait for the retracement. No.
I set it to the retracement, and see, which lines are at a significant top or bottom. This is a basic use of it, but You can use it in the conventional way, and You can set the basic lines (0% and 100%) at any significant lines. You can notice that there is no 24%, 79% etc. levels, because there is no direct connect between the whole (100%) and this levels. If you set the 0 and 1 to the most recent top and bottom (the top or bottom and the retracement), you have the necesary lines between those lines.
In this set of lines, the all levels are connected with the basic lines. So, you must set the basic lines to the most significant lines, and you will see, if there is any relation to the others.
For example, if there is three point, x, y and z, you can set the basic lines first to the x and y, next to the y and z, and next to the x and z. What if you have 7 point? :)) Be combinative, intelligent, and don't think, that the real truth is wrote in the books. Select the more significant points, and try it.
The market is same complex as the nature. If it wasn't complex, we all could make money.
If the price makes a turn, there is a reason. News, fibonacci, or any. It is quite frekvent, when the reason is fibonacci. Open the EURUSD weekly chart, and you will see, that the turn around 2008 sept. 07 is a 50% retracement.
The other wrong thing when you can read, that there is a retracement around the 62% retracement, or more bad, between the 50% and 62% retracement. If the reason was the fionacci, the turn should be exactly, or nearly exactly at the level. If it is not at the level, you haven't found the reason. If you follow the live price, you should pay attention to the turning at the exact levels. If there is no significant level at the turning point, chance is that the price will go onward.
Sorry. I'm soo long, but it is a complicated subject.
The bottom line is that you shouldn't think, that the market is simple, and that the books are always right, (because it cannot be written. You should get experience about it) and you should always use your combinativity, creativity, and intelligece when follow the price.

--------------------------
Go down, I have posted an example.

Last edited:
Hogy vagy,

It would be helpfulful if you could realate it to a curency pair and illustrate it on a chart
kosonam.

Example

For my posting I will attach some example.
This example is the Nasdaq future, M5 chart. This fibonacci using helps to find multiple reason for the trade. In this chart you can see, that I put just one fib on the top to retracement, and I can see two reason of the turning. This is a 62% and a 50% retracement in one point.
One notice: the larger the time frame, the more exact the turning, when it is at a fibonacci level. (Not in point, relatively)
It is a live chart. I didn't search for the example. When I went home, and looked at the chart, I put a fib on it, and the lines went exactly on the tops and bottoms.

Attachments

• chart6.jpg
    chart6.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 306
GOLDEN Ratio

I just made the analysis for the tomorow tradning, :smart: and I found a quite beautiful example. Gold futures daily chart, look at the picture attached!
As I said, the larger the timeframe, the more precise is the turn about a fibonacci or other level. This is an example of this. Is anyone saying, that it is thanks to chance? Try with an other ratio, say 0,934. How many examples do You find, that is as precise as this?
I didn't search widely for gooood examples, I just sometimes use this tool, and permanently find examples like this.
I go ... :sleep:

Attachments

• chart7.jpg
    chart7.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 294
I dont see what you have drawn there ferenci, but not likely to on first attempt. These are what I would consider good fibs.

Attachments

• debunking fibs.gif
    debunking fibs.gif
    37.4 KB · Views: 362
  • debunking fibs gu h4.gif
    debunking fibs gu h4.gif
    43.4 KB · Views: 340
  • debunking fibs 2 uj 5 min.gif
    debunking fibs 2 uj 5 min.gif
    43.2 KB · Views: 311
IMO Fibonacci lines are the most reliable form of technical analysis out there. I'm not sure how anyone could bebunk them..

Oil and Nasdaq

Chart8: Oil M30 chart. The 50% (non-fibonacci) level, where the price stopped, is between a multiple-tested top, and a sharp-reverse bottom. I saw later the chart, and already the price have gone toward, but stopped twice this price. In trading, when You see a level, where the price stopped, You look for the reversal, and when the price have turned, You can get in a trade in the new direction. There is cases, when the price stops, and stops again, and goes on. It is a good entry point for a smaller wave, when the price breaks the level.
Chart9: NASDAQ M1 chart. This is an example for the good exit point. "A" and "B" is a retracement. (You cannot see on the chart, that "B" is 0.382 level between the multiple tested 1570.55 price and "A".) When I am in a trend like this, I search a good exit point, that is usually the (retracement size)*1.618 above the last top. ("C" point) When the price is craizy, it goes even far, but I like to get out at a good price, because I hate the sharp reversal after an extreme price.
Good trading.

Attachments

• chart8.jpg
    chart8.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 330
  • chart9.jpg
    chart9.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 290
The page can no longer be viewed.

Error 404 - Page not found.

I would be interested to read the study, however, from my own experience of using fibs(bounces and breakouts) and chart patterns involving fibs, I have found them to be surprisingly accurate surprisingly often, I would have thought more often than you would expect to happen by chance or randomly.

I was going to say the same thing lol.

I think it is quite funny how this number sequence is considered to be Fibonacci's code - like he developed it or something lol.

Leonardo Fibonacci was a very interesting man, he wrote Liber Abaci in the early 1200s which included what is now known as the fib sequence but he never came up with it, he picked it up over in Asia (India I think).

I think in his book the sequence was demonstrated using the a maths problem that was about the rate of multiplication of rabbits.

That book can be said to have given birth to the Western banking system, insurance and totally changed how trade was carried out - that is his true claim to fame. (Good or bad?)

The sequence (I believe) was not named after him until after his death, but they knew about it over in Asia centuries before he was even born.

The retracements and extensions of they retracements seem to be pretty useful in trading - I think anyway.

Interesting, these ratios when form confluence zone, interesting spot to look for opportunities.

how does the bc extension line up?

Here is the attached. The ratios have more importance. I was also looking for a confluence of AB = CD pattern and perhaps a deeper correction into the 78.6% ret. But 61.8% also had a 127.2% expansion of the BC line segment forming a zone of Fib confluence. It was just shy of 3 pips from the 1.0200 even number.
Now watching the the 127.2% expansion of the entire swing down from 1.115 to 1.1023.

Attachments

• USDCAD_30min_19March14.png
    USDCAD_30min_19March14.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 246
Does Fib. do it for you

Perhaps a simpler approach to Fib. is better ?

Oh bother -I was going to stay away :eek:

Why ? Why not a triangle, parabola or a hyberbola or more generally an nth order polynomial, or any other geometric shape or function you care to name.

And by the way, 0.707 is not the square root of 1.414.

Sorry I don't believe a word of it.

No it's the 1/2 root of .5!

I looked into this wrt the ftse100 and found some peaks (not significant) but none at any of the filb retracement levels. Not claiming fib is nonsense, but do ask:-

How much do you make trading using this technique?

I looked into this wrt the ftse100 and found some peaks (not significant) but none at any of the filb retracement levels. Not claiming fib is nonsense, but do ask:-

How much do you make trading using this technique?
Fibs are as random as anything else in technical analysis.

Anyone who comes back and refutes this should do so by way of a forward example which we can see develop in real time rather than the more typical approach which is to 'prove' it by reference to a retrospective example where it worked perfectly aka cherry pick.